• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_876/products_id/411541848

Look at the reviews.
    4 stars but faint praise.

It is likely a fairly functional cheap toy

If you want a reliable tool, a repairable weapon, something you could expect your descendants to be shooting in 50 years get a Ruger or Stevens or Savage for scarcely more money.

If you want a plinker with typically terrible AK47 sights that you throw away like a 2010 iPhone that rifle will fill that role admirably.

Just my .02

Academy has FOURTEEN sub-$200 .22lr firearms right now
    http://www.academy.com/shop/browse/...&pageView:grid&minPrice:&maxPrice:&pageSize:&

Last edited:

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    From what little I've read, they're cheap, finicky as hell, but accurate. It's apparently the same action as my old Armscor Model 20, but dressed up to look like a rough approximation of a Kalashnikov. If it shoots as well as the Model 20, then it's worth it if you can deal with a (IMHO, assuming it really is just a 20's action in a dressed up chassis) tricky dis/reassembly. I'm by no means a good shot, but I have no trouble holding sub-inch groups out to about 30 yards from standing, half-inch or smaller if I'm sitting at a bench.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Meh. To each his own. I've never been even slightly interested in the .22 "tactical" stuff. That thing, with a 10 round mag - pfft. I'd rather have a 10/22 eight days a week.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Another .02

You want a "real" tactical 22lr rifle.

$400 for a dedicated AR upper.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...per-receiver-assembly-22-long-rifle-16-barrel
    I have a couple.'
    Looks, feels and weighs just like an M4.
    Feeds anything from subsonic to cheap bulk to true Eley match or whatever.
    2MOA all day with mid level ammo. Better with better.

You get what you pay for.

Good stuff will outlast us all.
    Cheap stuff is just that.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Compass Lake made my AR .22lr upper. They take a highly modified military M261 caliber conversion unit and adapt it to a SS match barrel of 1:16 twist. M261 magazines slip inside a normal AR magazine so the entire rifle looks exactly like an AR 15 A2 rifle with 20" barrel. I even had them install a birdcage muzzle device just for fun.

The rifle is extremely accurate and so far, very reliable. It was pricey, but I wanted a trainer rifle that duplicated my competition rifle exactly. Even holding the rifle in your hands, if the ejection port is closed, I'd challenge anyone to determine that it's a .22LR. Pulling the charging handle is the best clue. It has a very short (1") stroke. The lower is unmodified.

All things considered, it's a nice piece of engineering!

The M261 unit has a forward end that looks like a .223 cartridge. It chambers into the rifle barrel. Compass Lake removes that forward end then fits the M261 bolt up to the match .22LR barrel chamber.

http://carteach0.blogspot.com/2013/01/conversion-kit-caliber-22-rimfire.html

Using the M261 conversion in a standard rifle puts the .22LR through a 1:7, 1:8 or 1:9 twist barrel and accuracy suffers. The .22LR needs a 1:16 twist and Compass Lake solves that problem with the 1:16 match barrel!

Like the other guys said. You get what you pay for. I wanted an exact substitute for my match rifle in size, weight and function and that's what I got. The custom upper was $1000.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom