• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Daughter's 'range' shy. first time I took her she got a face full of hot brass from some a@@hole with an AR next to us. Didn't even apologize. Range officer told us to move. Don't shoot at Carter's anymore but the damage's done.
    Target Sports

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Daughter's 'range' shy. first time I took her she got a face full of hot brass from some a@@hole with an AR next to us. Didn't even apologize. Range officer told us to move. Don't shoot at Carter's anymore but the damage's done.
    Making gun owners look classy. Sorry to hear that.

See if someone has private property you can shoot on so she’s comfortable.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    You and your daughter need to sit down together with some poster boards & crayons or markers & discuss that day together, as y'all work together on drawing target of said arsehole & range nazi. No time right right now to teach the girl life is like a bed of roses, you just need to watch out for the pricks.

Carters Country is one of those places I refuse to enter for any reason. The old Fudd's wearing the stupid vest with patches of various gun related companies are always places to avoid.

IMHO Carters Country is a great place for the smash & grab robbers to hit. I think one of the few reasons they still exist is strictly new to gun folk & people wanting to law a way guns. They sucked in the 80's when I moved to Houston & all of their store are pretty much a cookie cutter template of what a gun shop aint.

While getting her on to lean on private property is a best place it not always doable. Make a commitmentand join a private gun club. Sure there are still Fudd's & range Nazis to some degree. More importantly your not exposing you child to the rif raft of public ranges. Just for shits & grins go back & start counting bullet holes where they should not be. Another reason public ranges suck wait until you go down range to collect her target & come back to your shit all gone. And when you mention it to the range nazi & the idiots you paid inside and they point to the WE ARE NOT RESPOSIBLE FOR STOLEN PROPERTY sign.

Sure all this can happen at a private gun club, but it less likely. Private clubs offer safety classes hunter education classes & matches for kids only. Instead of some Gang banger wannabe eye phuking your gear you might just make friends with other members.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Whatever, get them a gun they can use later. Started my GKs (4 of them) on 12ga and 243. About 7-8 IIRC. Let one shoot my 22, he wanted the 30/30. 22 pistol, nope 40sw. You can always single load. Has some friend's young girls at the range. 22? Nope 9mm & 40 & 300 BO & 223. Shoot, go giggle for a while and back at it. They never shot before!

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    For working with my grandchildren I have been using a suppressed Ruger
    Precision Rimfire (.22lr) with CCI standard velocity ammo.

For a stock gun (bolt action) with fairly cheap ammo it is remarkably accurate! That really helps with the learning process as they can see quick results from proper form (although the primary goal is always firearm SAFETY).

The LOP and comb are adjustable which helps a lot with getting a “reasonable” fit. The only issue is that the pistol grip is a bit large for kid-sized hands.

Being suppressed helps a lot as well. We can safely shoot without ear protection (unless someone else is at my club’s range, which I can usually avoid). Thus they can get a better cheek weld on the stock, without having bulky earmuffs getting in the way. Also, I KNOW that they can hear everything I am saying To them.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    If length of pull is an issue try a ruger charger. My son's used this until they could use a stock. They use a s&w 15-22 pistol now

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm looking into the M&P 15-22 pistols. Something that wasn't on the radar. My only concern is the pistol brace thing with pudding pants in office.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    This thread brings back memories of shooting my dads Marlin 60 when I was about 6. I would go with a tippmann arms m4-22 or even smith and Wesson 15-22 just because of the adjustable stock they come with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    This thread brings back memories of shooting my dads Marlin 60 when I was about 6. I would go with a tippmann arms m4-22 or even smith and Wesson 15-22 just because of the adjustable stock they come with

The tippmann is a great rifle, especially if you want something to simulate the weight of a 556 AR. I only got the s&w because its polymer and very light.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    Rossi makes a pump .22 that I used to teach both of my kids. It worked great. Faster than a bolt, but safer than an auto. And left compatible.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Rossi makes a pump .22 that I used to teach both of my kids. It worked great. Faster than a bolt, but safer than an auto. And left compatible.

There's one sitting at my LGS pretty cheap that I have been wanting to check out.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Ithaca model 49, single shot lever action, short, light,and simple Martini action

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

My daughter made a hit on the steel silhouette at 400yrds last weekend this rifle. It's a awesome little setup.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    The tippmann is a great rifle, especially if you want something to simulate the weight of a 556 AR. I only got the s&w because its polymer and very light.

Nothing wrong with going polymer especially for the kids. My first 22 was a marlin 60 and it was heavy for me as a kid to shoot free standing. Thankfully 22 has no recoil or I would have been knocked on my ass from having to lean backwards to help hold it up. I chose the tippmann for the reason you stated it being great to simulate the weight of a 556 plus it’s a lot cheaper to plink with. Side note, I still remember my first time shout a 12 gauge around 12 yrs old and it almost knocking me to the ground. It knocked my hat off. I will same it got me over the fear of heavy recoil.

Top Bottom