• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    My kids are starting to ask me to take them shooting. Daughter is 6, son is 5. I wanted to start them out with airguns, but figured I might as well go the 22 route. What options are out there for youth size rifles? Currently looking at the Savage Rascal and CZ 457 scout. Huge difference in price between the two.
    DK Firearms

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Rascal would be good but they would grow out of it quickly.... kids grow like weeds.
    I would suggest a S&W MP 15/22 in a pistol platform with a brace. Its stupid light, has adjustable length of pull... what else you need for kids.

The CZ would be a good rifle to grow into, but IMO, would be too heavy & non adjustable stock is going to be a PITA to shoulder for anyone with short arms.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Rascal would be good but they would grow out of it quickly.... kids grow like weeds.
    I would suggest a S&W MP 15/22 in a pistol platform with a brace. Its stupid light, has adjustable length of pull... what else you need for kids.

The CZ would be a good rifle to grow into, but IMO, would be too heavy & non adjustable stock is going to be a PITA to shoulder for anyone with short arms.
    I have many good years out of a m&p 15-22. I got one the first year it came out and it just flat out works. No jams and pretty accurate. It will also accept an AR binary trigger. Bolt release, charging handle etc all work like an AR so you also get to develop some muscle memory for the youngsters.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

I thought the same thing....but the mags and controls might be unwieldy for a smaller child. I'm leaning more toward a Ruger Charger with a brace....

....assuming that Pudding Pants doesn't have F-Troop bugger with the legality of braces....

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Ruger American .22 that comes with three different length adapters for the stock. All four of us grew up shooting my dad's remington .22 from the 1940s. Despite it being full size it worked even at age 5-6 but the Ruger has been nice for teaching kids.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Completely agree with the 15-22 recommendations. Very light, the stock adapts to the size of the child, triggers can be installed and tuned to an appropriate weight, grips can be modified for finger length, the upper can easily be configured for different sighting systems to teach marksmanship. Manipulating magazines and a safety is no issue, kids learn fast and they don’t have to load to full capacity.

I mounted my 15-22 onto a tripod to start my son shooting when he was 4. This enabled him to focus on properly using the magazine, safety, sights, and trigger, without holding the rifle. As he became more able to operate the rifle safely I could slowly and deliberately introduce new maneuver limits.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My kids are starting to ask me to take them shooting. Daughter is 6, son is 5. I wanted to start them out with airguns, but figured I might as well go the 22 route. What options are out there for youth size rifles? Currently looking at the Savage Rascal and CZ 457 scout. Huge difference in price between the two.
    I always recommend starting children off with a bolt action rifle (not a bad idea for adults too). A bolt action is inherently as easy or easier to shoot with discipline than a semi-auto and is inherently safer than a semi-auto. While I recommend a bolt action, I do not recommend something like the Savage Rascal which as I understand is a single shot rifle nor do I recommend a bot action fed from a tubular magazine. Instead I suggest a 22 bolt action repeating rifle fed from a box magazine. That way you can teach your kids to shoot it first as a single shot by loading one directly into the chamber or by loading one round in the magazine. When they are ready to move on to firing several shots in a row - then load the mag with as many as you want up to full capacity.

They are more likely to concentrate on each individual shot when they have to operate the action themselves to load each individual round instead of the gun loading each round for them. Thus they learn more self control when shooting and are less likely to just pop em off one after another as is the temptation with a semi-auto; they actually have to think of what they are doing to operate the action when using a bolt gun. It is also easier for the person training them to observe their shooting technique when they are shooting a bolt gun. On a side note, I find that bolt action guns work just the same with new shooter adults as they do with children. Discipline is more likely learned when you start slow and sure as opposed to giving them the opportunity to shoot rapid fire too soon. After shooting a bolt action repeater for 6 moths to a year or so, only then would I move them onto a semi-auto of the proper size for the children and that is with a 10 year old. I might make a younger child wait longer for that progression but that is up to the child's parent(s).

As far a choice of bolt action rifles go, I found that the Armscor 14Y was an excellent rifle for young children around the 8 to 10 year old range; it may also be good for younger children and was manufactured as a youth rifle, a newer very similar model has replaced it. I imagine there are several other brands that offer similar rifles but I have to say the Armscor 14Y that I bought my son (heck it was about 22 1/2 years ago) is one of the best made rifles I ever bought in 22 LR. It was an all steel and wood rifle with plastic butt plate. While I cannot speak as to the quality of the newer version, I would expect their new model to be made close to the same as was the 14Y decades ago.

Today, the model number is the M14Y and I believe the brand is Rock Island Armory (owned by Armscor). They still use a hardwood stock, the finish has changed from deep blue to Parkerized, still has a 10 round mag (15 also available) and now I believe it has a threaded muzzle. MSRP is around $150. More specs here: https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/m14y-youth-rifle-22lr-10rd

Despite the fact my son is now a middle aged man - he has not sold his Armscor 14Y and I doubt he ever will sell it. My guess is he will pass it on to his own child should he ever be so blessed. It's that kind of a gun - one that makes memories from one generation to the next I think.

ETA: I was just checking the availability (did not find one but they may be available but I only checked a few sites). Anyway, when doing so, I saw that Buds Gun Shop has 26 reviews of this rifle. Every review was either a 5 out of 5 (81% of the reviews) or a 4 out of 5. It dos not get much better than that when looking over reviews of anything.

Last edited:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Bought the Granddaughter a Savage Rascal a few years ago......She hunts now with an AR, but we all still shoot her little Rascal.........

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    Bolt action first, then a repeater of your choosing.
    Rascals are GREAT training guns. Pick the Rascal over the Cricket any day. I have said it many times on here, but I believe in it so much I think I have purchased 7 or 8 of them all together. One for each of my kids, and one for several of my nieces and nephews.
    They may outgrow them in a few years, but at ~$150 it’s still a great investment.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    20220613_085547.jpg
    I got the cricket 22 for the wingman

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I forgot to mention, a major added bonus with a blot action is running Aguila Super Colibri. They are so quiet you don’t need a suppressor to shoot in your own backyard. I’ve literally shot with kids on one side of the house, while people on the other side of the house never even knew.

Top Bottom