• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cbp210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Rascal would be good but they would grow out of it quickly.... kids grow like weeds.
    I would suggest a S&W MP 15/22 in a pistol platform with a brace. Its stupid light, has adjustable length of pull... what else you need for kids.

The CZ would be a good rifle to grow into, but IMO, would be too heavy & non adjustable stock is going to be a PITA to shoulder for anyone with short arms.

Yep this happened with my daughter. she started out with BB rifle when she joined the 4H and entered the BB/Air Rifle team. She was going to advance to 22 and the club recommended her she gets a Savage Mark II bolt action rifle. they said stay away from the cricket or rascals for the same reason you indicated. She eventually left and went shotgun and now she is a championship shooter in Trap and skeet.
    DK Firearms

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I finally picked out a couple of rifles for the kiddos. I went with the Rossi RS-22. They were affordable (around $130) and light enough for both of them to handle. I wasn't expecting much when I ordered these but they are a quality gun. I'm ordering another one for me. Even though they weigh about 5 lbs it's still too much for them to shoot offhand. So right now I'll just set up a bench and rest let them get used to shooting them for a while.

My next project is welding up a bench and some sort of rack to hold steel targets for them to shoot at.
    3de3badd7d8d8faad1e6d55c309af927.jpg

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I finally picked out a couple of rifles for the kiddos. I went with the Rossi RS-22. They were affordable (around $130) and light enough for both of them to handle. I wasn't expecting much when I ordered these but they are a quality gun. I'm ordering another one for me. Even though they weigh about 5 lbs it's still too much for them to shoot offhand. So right now I'll just set up a bench and rest let them get used to shooting them for a while.

My next project is welding up a bench and some sort of rack to hold steel targets for them to shoot at.
    3de3badd7d8d8faad1e6d55c309af927.jpg

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk
    My daughter has an rs22 waiting on her too. It'll be her first gun. I shot it, and yeah, they work. Can't beat it for $130.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    I am totally against a 6-10 year old with a semi auto anything Teach them to hunt first. IMO it is more important to have them see the results of a kill than learning to just shoot.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I am totally against a 6-10 year old with a semi auto anything Teach them to hunt first. IMO it is more important to have them see the results of a kill than learning to just shoot.
    Well the way things are going, she may have to hunt two legged critters when she gets older. Unfortunately I don't get to go hunt much so most of my shooting is defensive based.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It depends on the kids. I prefer to start them on bolt actions so they learn to take their time and shoot accurately. Too many that start on semi-autos depend too much on spray and pray. Besides, on a bolt gun, they can only screw up so much so fast. With a semi-auto, they can screw up a whole lot in a hurry.
    Accuracy comes before hunting. I won't take a novice shooter, of any age , hunting until they can demonstrate an ability for a clean kill.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Well the way things are going, she may have to hunt two legged critters when she gets older. Unfortunately I don't get to go hunt much so most of my shooting is defensive based.
    Two legged, 4 legged or flying. Hunting is hunting. Make the first shot count, you may not get a second shot. The target is irrelevant.

BeatTheTunaUp

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Two legged, 4 legged or flying. Hunting is hunting. Make the first shot count, you may not get a second shot. The target is irrelevant.

For sure, but I'm not wasting money on a cricket rifle. Shooting has to be fun for a newbie. You can be accurate AND fast.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Do any of the various youth guns offer adjustable LOP, or "adult sized" stocks?

Setting up a 15/22 for an adult involves one lever, which is great for a number of reasons, plus it looks like an AR, and has the same ergos.

But a regular 10/22 is real hard to beat, and can be easily turned from a kids iron sighted rifle to a high end target rifle with a few simple tools and money.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I started all my grandkids with a cricket. After two trips shooting they was done wit dat. Oldest likes the .17 and .22 mag. Her sister loves the Henry. Working on .223 bolt gun and .410 shotgun. Moving up the recoil ladder. Of course with my recent health probs we have no been out in a while and now deer season is upon us, so no target shooting for a few months.

Anyway start with single shots weather in a bolt repeater or single shot gun. Get the mechanics down

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    For sure, but I'm not wasting money on a cricket rifle. Shooting has to be fun for a newbie. You can be accurate AND fast.
    I don't recomend the Cricket either. There are better options. Like my Savage mkii Precision with the Boyd's AT1adjustable stock. Something they could shoot over a lifetime. But it is hard to beat the price of the Rossi.
    But like has been said, as long as trigger control and aim is there, it really doesn't matter. It's just that with a semi, it's hard to slow some kids down enough to learn them.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I disagree.

I didn't grow up around guns and nobody in my family hunted, but that doesn't mean that a young person shouldn't be taught to shoot.

The action of the weapon is irrelevant. If it's a semi-auto and you want them to make every shot count, chamber a round, take the magazine out and you have a single shot rifle. It's all about what you teach and how you teach it. I'm still working with mine, but they started learning about firearms safety as soon as they could understand what I was saying.

A good friend of mine never taught his son to shoot and 3 home invasion suspects broke into their home. Son called dad, and he had to walk him through the process of shooting a 1911 over the phone. Son killed one suspect as he walked up their stairs to where he was hiding. My buddy regrets not teaching his kids sooner.

Last edited:

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I disagree.

I didn't grow up around guns and nobody in my family hunted, but that doesn't mean that a young person shouldn't be taught to shoot.

The action of the weapon is irrelevant. If it's a semi-auto and you want them to make every shot count, chamber a round, take the magazine out and you have a single shot rifle. It's all about what you teach and how you teach it. I'm still working with mine, but they started learning about firearms safety as soon as they could understand what I was saying.

Agree. I did the same thing when teaching my son to shoot. Only one round in the magazine to start and build from there.

Maxmax0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2021
    Hawkins TX
    Bought my oldest a savage little rascal, had it threaded, got a warlock II for it. That was ten years ago. It just not her thing...... I tried

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Not every kid will take to it the same. Just like not every girl likes dolls and every boy wants a truck. Not every kid will want to shoot. Or be the next world champion shooter.
    Both of us boy's shot as kids. I am by far the better shot now. But as kids, our younger sister was actually a much better shot than either of us. She has no interest in guns and can't understand mine. Go figure.

or.slacker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2018
    US
    I started both my kids with kid sized pump 22s. Teach them site picture, and good handling. They are easy to see if the action is open, and safe. Easy to shoot, good size tube mag. I bought each kids gun the year they were born, and they were the first person to ever shoot it, and learn on it. When they have families, they can hand them down.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Any firearm can be a single shot if you're only allowed one round at a time. Get something they can grow into. Get something that gets THEM excited. I've seen plenty of kids pass on far superior firearms to shoot the cheap crapper that has a "cool" paint job or looks like something out of a video game. It is what it is.

Also, RED DOTS MAKE PEOPLE HAPPY. Everyone should learn how to use irons but the instant gratification, especially for new and/or casual shooters, that comes from red dots can not be denied.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom