Rifle Suppressors... worth it with Super Sonic ammo?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    Foot or auto? I ran in the Texas relays and have a hot rod. Pick your poison.
    I got beat by a guy with two, 10 second, twin turboed, race cars and he flew two airplanes on the longer stretches. I was in my daily driver, corvette powered, pick up truck.

Started in Ft worth, ended in Lampassas. Camera crews couldn’t keep up.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    How do two guys start out in a flat black Cadillac, both fly in a plane together, show up late to the last 4 stops in a gloss black Cadillac. Then fly another plane, then show up in the flat black Cadillac at the end? Hmmmm????

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I’ll stick to the OP’s question:
    I've owned a pistol can for years and enjoy shooting subs through it, but whenever I send supers down the pipe, the sonic crack is still pretty loud so I've always kinda ignored rifle supressors based on the fact I'll never shoot sub sonic rifle ammo.

Lately, I've considered it more of taking the edge off type of device, and I want to get in line before the pistol amnesty if it happens. I've had a Rugged razor in my cart for days, but haven't committed.

I've never heard a rifle suppressed in real life so it's hard to judge if it's worth $900.

What do ya'll say?

I have 4 legal suppressors (and no illegal ones). One came with Boomer (Barrett M107A1 .50 BMG). Suppressing Boomer does 2 things:
    1) Reduces the noise to that of a 12 Ga. 3” magnum round. That’s an impressive reduction (but 5 lb suppressor on the end changes the aim point substantally at 500 yards+.)
    2) Mule kicks your shoulder since the QDL suppressor covers 1/2 the muzzle brake. (Otherwise the recoil is like a hand shoving your shoulder 2“)

I also have 2 - .308 suppressors (Form 1) in the past 2 years. One 8” x 1.5” titanium. Clearly reduces the supersonic crack but too loud for not wearing ear protection.
    The second is an aluminum 12” x 2” kit that is so quiet on my subsonic .300 Blackout, that the bolt is louder than the report. With supersonic ammo, it’s still quiet but the crack is much louder than the bolt. (The secret to making it quiet is a large number of baffle chambers where each chamber is slightly smaller volumetrically, so you have a different resonate frequency in each baffle. )

The last suppressor (Form 1 again) I have is a classic stackable 1.5” diameter screw on / off baffles that can be any length from 3” up to 18” and works for up to 9mm. Not the greatest but it works and the screw-on / off cups are pretty easy to clean.

So yes, IMHO, it’s worth it to save your hearing And if you switch to subsonic rounds, it’s even better.
    Hope that helps.

Top Bottom