Target Sports

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    When it comes to guns I like the traditional, like most folks, but I also like the off base styles of guns. For example my favorite rifle caliber is .308 and I have several of them, but my favorite is my Keltec RFB. It is a bullpup design with a few really cool items, such as being fully ambidextrous with the controls, charging handle and bolt release. Uniquely it does not eject empty cases out the left, right or even the bottom. There is a tube that runs along side but just below the barrel that the action feeds the empties through and they gravity feed out the front of the rifle. I hate chasing empties so I just put a 5 gallon bucket up in front of me and the empties just fall into it. I used this gun on several hog hunts through cornfields, while riding in the back of a pickup. All the cases fell into the bed and that night I harvested 8 hogs in about 2 hours.
    IMG_5375.PNG

Another different platform also comes from Keltec it's their Sub 2000 in 9mm. A folding carbine that uses Glock mags. Perfect for a bugout gun that can fit easily in a small backpack and is a great CQB style gun. Here it is folded and unfolded.
    IMG_E5835.JPG

IMG_E5837.JPG

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    When it comes to guns I like the traditional, like most folks, but I also like the off base styles of guns. For example my favorite rifle caliber is .308 and I have several of them, but my favorite is my Keltec RFB. It is a bullpup design with a few really cool items, such as being fully ambidextrous with the controls, charging handle and bolt release. Uniquely it does not eject empty cases out the left, right or even the bottom. There is a tube that runs along side but just below the barrel that the action feeds the empties through and they gravity feed out the front of the rifle. I hate chasing empties so I just put a 5 gallon bucket up in front of me and the empties just fall into it. I used this gun on several hog hunts through cornfields, while riding in the back of a pickup. All the cases fell into the bed and that night I harvested 8 hogs in about 2 hours.
    IMG_5375.PNG

Another different platform also comes from Keltec it's their Sub 2000 in 9mm. A folding carbine that uses Glock mags. Perfect for a bugout gun that can fit easily in a small backpack and is a great CQB style gun. Here it is folded and unfolded.
    IMG_E5835.JPG

IMG_E5837.JPG
    How’s the accuracy of that .308? The holes in your target are spread out a bit. I bet that guy belches some flame when you touch it off. I imagine it makes some noise too! I’m a big Keltec fan. Interesting and innovative stuff. Righteous customer service as well.

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    How’s the accuracy of that .308? The holes in your target are spread out a bit. I bet that guy belches some flame when you touch it off. I imagine it makes some noise too! I’m a big Keltec fan. Interesting and innovative stuff. Righteous customer service as well.
    Actually the reason they are so erratic was I was shooting double taps at each bullseye at 50 yards. The scope was loose and I was not aware of it. I should not have taken the picture with it behind it. It was the first time I had ever shot it. The accuracy is very good when I do my part!

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Put some rounds through the new setup. Not bad, 50 yards with some CCI target ammo. The smaller holes, of course.

6368a9159670ec9109315d7854ae2e61.jpg
    Not bad at all. What was your scope tune in procedure. Start with bore sighting? I have a down the barrel cheap laser that gets me on paper at 25 yards. Have to use it when it’s cloudy though.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Not bad at all. What was your scope tune in procedure. Start with bore sighting? I have a down the barrel cheap laser that gets me on paper at 25 yards. Have to use it when it’s cloudy though.

I just slapped it on there and then shot it at 50 yards. It was like 4 to 6 inches high and left, so I dialed it in accordingly.

Did you take the stickers off first?

Not yet. I actually forgot to take em off lol. Was in such a hurry to get the optic and all and get it sighted in it just escaped my mind.

Last edited:

Juggernaut762

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2021
    Belton, TX
    I've taken mine out to 600 yards with M80. I've since put a Vortex 1-8x on it but haven't had a chance to take it past 50 yards. I did pop off some M118LR through it a few weeks ago at 50 yards and you could cover all 3 bullet holes with a fingernail. Has 18" barrel with a birdcage flash hider, works pretty good at that too. Took the original handguard off and installed a Lucky Irishman RFB handguard.

thomasmuller

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2021
    DFW
    IMG_5375.PNG

IMG_E5835.JPG

IMG_E5837.JPG

Both of those seem great. Have to do some reading on Keltec now!

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I actually have 5 more of their guns and they all have been great.

I have :
    PF9 in 9mm
    P11 in 9mm
    PMR30 in .22mag
    KSG Bullpup Shotgun 12 ga
    SU-16 in .223

nathan00campbell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    Lumberton Texas
    prr0o4.jpg

Current project
    Started life as a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision 300PRC.
    wanted some things done to that stock that i leaned were either not possible, or just not realistic. Have no interest in a chassis with moving parts, or multiple parts to make the buttstock. Being a long action savage with a 3.85 CIP magazine options are very very low. So i settled on the ORYX. Is currently at a local smith (Lone Star Gun Range in Lumberton TX) getting the magwell machined out to fit the over sized magazine for 300 PRC/338 Lapua. Its also getting a versa pod, bipod spigot embedded into the forearm for the Fortmeier bipod seen in the photo. So the bipod will be off the end of the forearm not under it. On the way is a Sako S20 monopod for the butstock. Current investment is now at $2,200. Next will be a badger ordnance 20 MOA STEEL rail, then i gotta decide on glass (looking at a leupold mark 5hd 5-25x56mm) then corresponding spuhr mount. It currently has a SWFA 10x that i don't use, just sitting there to be there. Would Trade that swfa 10x for the 16x or 20x in MOA not MIL.

Anyway its a work in progress,,, oh and black panels are on the way to replace the but ugly green.

nathan00campbell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    Lumberton Texas
    3cst9a.jpg

C39V2 with polish guts and some add ons to make it fit me perfectly. By far the most accurate AK ive ever owned. Absolute joy to shoot. This is my HD weapon. Basic irons (im deadly with them) and a quality weapon light that lights up the front sight post giving me a clear sight picture at night.
    Below is a savage axis with a custom 22" mcgowen barrel in 7.62x39 that i thew together. LOVE IT. Had the ruger american in x39, ill never own another ruger rifle after that headache.
    sx519r.jpg

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    3cst9a.jpg

C39V2 with polish guts and some add ons to make it fit me perfectly. By far the most accurate AK ive ever owned. Absolute joy to shoot. This is my HD weapon. Basic irons (im deadly with them) and a quality weapon light that lights up the front sight post giving me a clear sight picture at night.
    Below is a savage axis with a custom 22" mcgowen barrel in 7.62x39 that i thew together. LOVE IT. Had the ruger american in x39, ill never own another ruger rifle after that headache.
    sx519r.jpg
    What happened with the Ruger American??

nathan00campbell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2020
    Lumberton Texas
    What happened with the Ruger American??
    1st one, sent back to ruger, was splitting cases due to lose headspace
    2nd time back to ruger was horrid accuracy. talking 16" groups at 50 yards if you were lucky.
    3rd and final time back was the same, terrible accuracy and their excuses blaming me, my optic, my ammo, and the round itself.
    It was the condescending attitude i got that ensured ill never own another ruger product again.

keep in mind the axis is using the exact same optic, ammo, and shooter while keeping less than a 2" group at 100 yards shooting wolf 123g HP.
    the same opic and ammo was used in my now sold CZ rifle. Sold only because i was foolish and thought i was bored of it.

Reactions: MTA

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    1st one, sent back to ruger, was splitting cases due to lose headspace
    2nd time back to ruger was horrid accuracy. talking 16" groups at 50 yards if you were lucky.
    3rd and final time back was the same, terrible accuracy and their excuses blaming me, my optic, my ammo, and the round itself.
    It was the condescending attitude i got that ensured ill never own another ruger product again.

keep in mind the axis is using the exact same optic, ammo, and shooter while keeping less than a 2" group at 100 yards shooting wolf 123g HP.
    the same opic and ammo was used in my now sold CZ rifle. Sold only because i was foolish and thought i was bored of it.
    Ive had some bad experiences with Ruger Americans but it seems like everyone else on here has had good luck with them besides you and me. Glad the savage is working for you

Top Bottom