• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I saw the movie "Wolverene" at the cheap ($5) matinee today and would give it about a C+.

If we divide the movie into 4 parts, one and two weren't bad. Three was a sleeper and four got more lively with an ironic twist.

Part one showed how "Wolverene" got started. He was actually imprisoned on the Island of Japan at Nagasaki and saw the B-29 coming in. He saved the life of his captor during the A-bomb blast. I wasn't clear for sure but I believe he had super powers and immortality before the blast. He climbed up in his prison dungeon using some incredible strength. I couldn't figure that part out.

The story develops and he gets into trouble with these sword things that keep popping out of his hands. Lots of folks die including his lady whom he stabs to death by accident.

He goes into hiding and becomes a caveman until a hunter kills his favorite Grizzly Bear. There goes a pile of hunters...kaput!

Then he goes to Japan to see the dying friend he saved at Nagasaki. Turns out he now has more money than Bloomberg.

Then the story bites the dust. It dragged on....and on....and on!

I won't spoil the ending but it got a bit more than I could take. It just stretched my ability to accept what I was seeing.

I liked:
    A couple of kick ass oriental women. I LOVE tough ass women!

There were scenes of incredible archery shots. I've always been into archery and that was totally fascinating!

There is a fight scene on top of a Japanese "Bullet Train" at something like 200 MPH. It stretched the imagination a lot but it was interesting to see.

Filthy language was restrained. That was welcome. The "F" bomb dropped once.

I didn't like:
    Shaking of the camera in action scenes. They included an additional annoyance. The action was broken into tiny mini movies so you see a 1/2 to 1 1/2 second burst of action then it flashes to ANOTHER mini view of the action. Add some camera shaking and you get a clue about how annoying the action scenes were. There was MUCH more of that in the first half of the movie. They seemed to wise up and reduce it later. There was little cohesion to the action scenes. It was just splashes of action.

In Japan, gun control is severely enforced. Still, every thug is toting a pistol and even submachine guns....openly! There was enough gunfire to make you believe that it was filmed in Chicago or LA!

=======================================

Conclusion:

The movie was short of a "walkout" but the story didn't capture me at all. There were a few scenes that were unique. I expected fantasy in the story line but also expect some believability. I was glad to see "The End".

I suggest that you NOT pay full theater price to see it. It was a decent $5 worth on a hot day when my allergies were raising Hell.

When the credits roll, do not leave. There is a short scene right in the middle of the credits which I'm sure is intended to be a setup for a sequel.

Flash
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    I respectfully disagree. I enjoyed the movie. The end scene of the credits is for the next XMen movie coming up.

On the Japan scenes, keep in the movie is largely for the American audience. Gun control is not an issue here.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Might be a lack of familiarity with the character (did you see any of the X-Men movies?) that stifled your enjoyment of this movie. Most folks going in know at least the basics of his background. It's the fifth time Hugh Jackman has played him on the big screen.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Might be a lack of familiarity with the character (did you see any of the X-Men movies?)

Nope. No prior knowledge of any of it. You are probably correct that was a factor in not hooking into the story.

However, If the movie wouldn't stand alone or allow a viewer to enjoy it without previous experience, It might be a good idea to say that. That explains a lot but if it was noted as "part 7", perhaps I wouldn't have gone to see it. Perhaps a short review at the start of the flick would have been effective. I've seen a lot of flicks do that.

I enjoyed the Harry Potter flicks and have not seen all of them nor did I read the books. The same goes for the James Bond series of stories.

I reviewed the flick as a person who walked in off of the street to see it. I stand by what I wrote. Frankly, I've been reading other reviews of "Wolverene" and few are real positive. One even called it a "Flop".

Hey if you want to go....do it and enjoy it. It's just one man's opinion.

Flash

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That explains a lot but if it was noted as "part 7", perhaps I wouldn't have gone to see it. Perhaps a short review at the start of the flick would have been effective. I've seen a lot of flicks do that.

Well, it's not "part 7"...there was a series of three "X-Men" movies where he was a lead character and was prominently featured in all advertising, plus a previous standalone movie called "X-Men Origins: Wolverine", plus a cameo in the prequel move "X-Men: First Class"...assuming the audience had at least a passing familiarity with the character really wasn't much of a stretch for the filmmakers. The character has been a solid box-office draw for thirteen years now.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I haven't seen it yet, but want to. Not really a Hugh Jackman fan, but he is a badass as Wolverine and that's all I can see him as now. He plays that character awesome. I'm not much of a comic book guy or super hero fan. I do like Wolverine though.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I missed all that and never read any of the comic books, either. As I said, I reviewed it as a guy who just walked off the street....fresh. I didn't like the flick.

Go see the Wolverene and feel free to post your observations. I'd be happy to consider your input.

Flash

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Oh, and about a three decade history as Marvel's most popular comic book character.

39 years, to be nerdily precise. He sure looked funny back then:

Incredible-Hulk-181.jpg

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom