• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Bonnie and I saw the Movie "Exodus- Gods & Kings" at the Senior matinee today. There is a 3D version, but we saw the standard version.

At 2 1/2 hours long, it's a comprehensive summary about a complicated period of Hebrew and Egyptian history.

The story should be familiar to most of us. The Hebrews were slaves used by the Egyptians to build the magnificent temples and funeral structures like the pyramids. Life for the Hebrews was harsh and deadly.

Skipping ahead, Moses was fished out of the river and raised as a royal. After the Dad/King dies, Moses is banished where he experiences tough and hard conditions.

He returns to Egypt and tries to implement God's burning bush instructions to bring the Hebrews out of Egypt. In the burning bush and later scenes, God takes the form of a young boy. This flick portrays Moses a lot differently than when Charleton Heston demanded "Let my people go!"

This Moses is more of a hapless observer to the many plagues visited upon the Egyptians. When the King summons Moses (considered his brother for years) to talk about the plagues, Moses says "I didn't do it....God's doing that!"

The plagues were horrifying and any notion that hoards of Locusts don't totally screw up Egypt is graphically shot down. Showing the affect of the plagues was totally creepy and.....Oh yes, it gets ugly!

The night of the "Passover" was spooky and was the last straw. The order was given then later withdrawn ..........Hebrews get out of Egypt!

What I liked:
    The scenes of battle and scenery are huge and magnificent! They must have had 10,000 extras and the battle scenes were gigantic! Egyptian monuments and building those monuments was massive in scale. Everything about this flick was big, Big BIG!

Parting of the Red Sea was more believable in this version. It was tense and terrifying!

There was no attempt to create phoney accents in the dialog. The actors spoke plain English. That's not accurate, but it told the story better. There were no Thees or Thous which are from King James' era anyway. It was all plain English.

Things I didn't like:
    This sucker is LONG! It took two pit stops to get through it! 2 1/2 hours.

There were places where there was a lot of yakking/plotting and planning and that got tiresome. I dozed for a tiny blink of an eye.

The Sphinx was displayed with its present day blown off nose. It's my understanding that more modern day artillery practice blew that nose off.

There was no profanity, religion was not portrayed in an oppressive manner. There weren't scenes of highly religious nature. This was a story of normal people being caught up into a drama that they didn't really understand.

There was plenty of violence but it was not close up, gory and graphic.

They used some camera shaking to blur the action scenes.

In General:
    Bonnie and I both rated the movie an "A". It was a good flick and worth the time it takes to see it. It's OK for kids and stays pretty close to the story I learned as a kid.

It's a great flick and Bonnie and I both recommend it!

Perhaps we could get a report on the 3D version.

Flash
    Target Sports

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Good review Roger.

I believe it was Nazi soldiers during the WWII era that blew off the Sphinx' nose. They used it for target practice if I recall correctly.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Good information! It is funny that the 400BC Sphinx was showing damage that occurred anywhere from 1700-1945. If you see the movie, watch for that.

I was always fascinated by archery and this movie was a treat to see the military prowess of archers.

There was one scene where a soldier was stringing a longbow. Anyone who has done that task knows he was doing that just for the movies. It was way too easy and the string was way too slack.

Flash

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    As always, I look forward to your reviews.

Am waiting for it on DVD as I cannot sit through a full feature, considering bladder, bowels, and nicotine cravings.

Top Bottom