• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Has anyone resized primed brass? I have a co-worker who was given some .257 reloads (from someone else) . When trying in his gun, he couldn't close the bolt. (or at least decided not to force it closed because it was pretty tight).

My guess is they were previously necksized only, maybe several times, resulting in the shoulder moving slightly forward. I have been trying to work up some rounds for him, but .257 bullets are hard to come by.

So my plan: he will pull the bullets, discarding the powder. I hope to pull the decapping pin from my Hornady dies, resize, add powder and seat the bullets he saved.

I have seen this posted on several forums, but wanted to run it by you guys, just to make sure this was the best way to go.

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
    ARJ Defense ad

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I've done it with straight wall cartridges but not sure if it would work with bottle necked stuff. The issue is that on the up stroke you're compressing the case neck slightly but on the way down the case mouth is expanded slightly on the expander ball. But as long as the pin is gone as you stated, and the ball still there it should be fine.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I'll add... I just pull the pin out of it, and leave the sizing ball on it..... just in case there are any dents in the neck. The sizing die will squeeze the necks down, but it won't remove any dents that might be there.... the sizing ball does that. If you are confident there are no dents, then pull the whole rod out of it if you want, and simply size....

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I'll add... I just pull the pin out of it, and leave the sizing ball on it..... just in case there are any dents in the neck. The sizing die will squeeze the necks down, but it won't remove any dents that might be there.... the sizing ball does that. If you are confident there are no dents, then pull the whole rod out of it if you want, and simply size....
    That's what I've done! Just in case!

Top Bottom