• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have HC plates and parked on the end space one time with my rear tire slightly in the hatched area. When I came out of the store, a guy was waiting in his car, and asked me if that was my truck, and asked where was my "hang tag"! I told him he was an idiot and walked on and got in my truck. He got out came toward me, I put my hand on the butt of my concealed pistol, then noticed he had a badge on his belt - plain-clothes cop. We exchanged a few snarky words, then he walked around my truck, saw my HC plates, waved me off and went back to his car. As Bugs Bunny would say, "what a maroon".

Around here,I have recently noticed "rent-a-cops" in plain clothes with "badges" on their belts. Ask which agency they are with and their name

Our youngest is a real police detective; says his department doesn't want them getting involved in mickey mouse stuff. They were ordered to ignore open carry by citizens.

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    Around here,I have recently noticed "rent-a-cops" in plain clothes with "badges" on their belts. Ask which agency they are with and their name

Our youngest is a real police detective; says his department doesn't want them getting involved in mickey mouse stuff. They were ordered to ignore open carry by citizens.

leVieux
    I was a little rattled at the time, didn't think to ask. Good advice for next time (hopefully there won't be a next time).

Armybrat

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    When I have a BOUT with gout, I dread going anywhere. The first thing I do is grab a cart to help me walk. I normally have it in my ankles. After a week or so, I'm usually able to walk normally.

I don't have a placard sure have considered it when dealing with gout.

I have stopped making judgements. My former MIL had a placard due to a digestive issue. Believe me, you did not want to get in the way if she was trying to make it to the bathroom in Walmart.
    Whenever I feel another bout with gout starting up, I’ll take a couple of OTC Naproxen pills (with food) to stop it from progressing. Repeat the next day.
    That has kept me from having a bad case for several years.
    Read the warning labels though.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    I fully support the handicap parking and have no problem with a disability parking there.

What I do have a problem is a lifted truck with 37's that requires you to jump in and out should not be able to claim handicapped. If you have PTSD or some mental issue, you can walk like the rest if us and leave the spots for the physically challenged.
    My old jeep was a monster with flipped axles, re-arched springs, a small body lift and 37's. It also had a complete rollcage.

I had knee surgery and my doc had me get a handicap placard because the recovery was supposed to take 4-6 months. One day, I came out of a store at the mall to find a guy had parked his car behind me, blocking me in. I put my crutches in the back seat and used the rollcage to hoist myself into the driver's seat, and started to read the internet on my phone. About 20 minutes later, a middle aged couple came out of the mall and the wife got into the car but the guy started videoing me on his phone and calling me out for having a handicap placard in a "monster truck" and saying I would be on YouTube as his asshole of the week and I'd be famous. I was wearing shorts (much easier and more comfortable than jeans on the stitches and bandage) and I began hoisting myself out.

When the guy saw the bandages, he began apologizing profusely. When the crutches came out, he looked mortified. I gimped toward him and told him to move his car before I shoved a crutch up his ass.

I never found any of it on YouTube.

As a side note, I recuperated very quickly and finished a 100km charity bicycle ride on a hybrid road/mountain bike 3 months after the surgery. Listen to your physical therapist.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    My old jeep was a monster with flipped axles, re-arched springs, a small body lift and 37's. It also had a complete rollcage.

I had knee surgery and my doc had me get a handicap placard because the recovery was supposed to take 4-6 months. One day, I came out of a store at the mall to find a guy had parked his car behind me, blocking me in. I put my crutches in the back seat and used the rollcage to hoist myself into the driver's seat, and started to read the internet on my phone. About 20 minutes later, a middle aged couple came out of the mall and the wife got into the car but the guy started videoing me on his phone and calling me out for having a handicap placard in a "monster truck" and saying I would be on YouTube as his asshole of the week and I'd be famous. I was wearing shorts (much easier and more comfortable than jeans on the stitches and bandage) and I began hoisting myself out.

When the guy saw the bandages, he began apologizing profusely. When the crutches came out, he looked mortified. I gimped toward him and told him to move his car before I shoved a crutch up his ass.

I never found any of it on YouTube.

As a side note, I recuperated very quickly and finished a 100km charity bicycle ride on a hybrid road/mountain bike 3 months after the surgery. Listen to your physical therapist.
    I stand by what I said. If you could do all of those acrobatic maneuvers to get in and out, you certainly could have left that spot for someone that can't tie their shoe.

Coop's Dad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2018
    Lorena
    I stand by what I said. If you could do all of those acrobatic maneuvers to get in and out, you certainly could have left that spot for someone that can't tie their shoe.
    Hey, cool! I met your handicap spot eligibility criteria! I was unable to bend my knee so I couldn't tie my shoe. And I was on crutches. It's nothing like when I had my shoulder rebuilt; I was eligible for a placard then, too, but it didn't affect my ability to walk so I passed.

But as long as I'm giving a care about other people's opinions regarding personal health issues and their effects on mobility, can I get some guidance for my Dad? He's 84, has multiple sclerosis and has good days where he can actually make from the parking lot into Denny's but sometimes can't make it back to his car without his wife going to fetch his walker. He can tie his shoes but usually wears slip-ons. He's used a handicap placard for several years but the shoe test has me doubting his need for it. Can I get a ruling?

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I can walk 15 mins if I take a bunch of pain meds. By the end of that time I'm in so much pain it's almost panic inducing and all consuming in my need to stop it. Thanks to my last surgery my limp is mostly gone. I walk faster then before cause my time is ticking and it hurts more to sit in a scooter now.

Without meds its a whole different story.

Afte 13 back surgeries I make no apologies. Especially to the ignorant.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I was once parked next to a handicap spot and my tires were touching the yellow line. A cop at the 7-11 at the time said technically he could give me a $500 ticket since my tires were too close and the handicapped person could have difficulty getting out. I pay attention now but see people park there with no placard or plate and go inside to get booze, etc. I have walked past them and pointed at the sign but hell, nowadays people have attitudes so ignore them now.,

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Hey, cool! I met your handicap spot eligibility criteria! I was unable to bend my knee so I couldn't tie my shoe. And I was on crutches. It's nothing like when I had my shoulder rebuilt; I was eligible for a placard then, too, but it didn't affect my ability to walk so I passed.

But as long as I'm giving a care about other people's opinions regarding personal health issues and their effects on mobility, can I get some guidance for my Dad? He's 84, has multiple sclerosis and has good days where he can actually make from the parking lot into Denny's but sometimes can't make it back to his car without his wife going to fetch his walker. He can tie his shoes but usually wears slip-ons. He's used a handicap placard for several years but the shoe test has me doubting his need for it. Can I get a ruling?
    I think you get my point. When you start arguing semantics, I already won.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I think there should be two types of HC placards and spaces. One type for those who are truly wheelchair bound and one for all other disabilities. Believe me, when you are stuck in a wheel chair, even 15 minutes of being able to walk would be a God Send. Pain or no.

Top Bottom