• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    "DISABLED PARKING"
    Reserved Parking for Disabled Persons
    Yes, we have all seen the many abuses of these reserved spaces.
    But, before making any specific criticism, you should be warned.
    Not all disabilities are easily visible to an observer.

A TRUE story, then some details:

Story: some 12 or 15 years ago, a Houston TV Station decided to do a special report on this problem, and sent out an "investigative reporter" & team. The Lady Reporter staked-out the parking lot of a popular Houston grocery and waited. Soon enough, a placarded auto pulled-up, parked, and a normal looking man got out, walked into the store unaided. Reporter followed & video'd from a distance as man shopped, paid, & left.
    Videos were edited, and showed up as an evening news "special report" some 2-1/2 weeks later.
    Survivors of the man were rightfully indignant. He had been suffering a terminal illness and had died from it a few days after the episode; over a week before it aired on TV.
    The TV folks and many others got a big lesson, and the TV Station had to pay after being "sued".

Now some details:
    1) Not all disabilities are obvious, and many are intermittent. Some can come and go w/o warnings. Examples are those from internal derangements remaining from cancer surgeries, seizure disorders, and cardiovascular problems. A person can be OK one moment and seriously impaired the next moment. Of course, anyone with uncontrolled generalized seizures should never drive.
    2) We should have two classes of reserved spaces; one for those wheelchair bound or requiring other difficult equipment and another for those disabled, but less burdened.
    3) Those with NO disability should never take these spaces, permit or not. The point is that this deprives the disabled persons of that space while occupied, whether a "ticket" is issued or not.
    4) Never, ever try to enforce these restrictions yourself unless you are a Law Enforcement Officer, or unless you OWN the parking lot.

Now, my story: I have had these permits for some 15 years. I, and many of my Family, suffer a condition known as "Hereditary Erosive Osteoarthritis". My ability to walk distances is often impaired, sometimes seriously. Often, this temporarily gets a bit better with walking, before inevitably getting much worse. There are "bad days" and better days, but never "normal" days.
    Folks sometimes ask why I carry a walking cane to Church, but seem to never need it to walk; but, I don't carry the cane into WalMart or HEB Markets. There are valid reasons for this: At any store, I can always grab a shopping cart, which gives enough support. Also, I must park way out back of Church, as internal cancer-surgery derangements make being near the restroom mandatory on most days. From restroom to the pew is about a block. Yes, I don't need the cane inside the Church, as there are many pews to grab onto, if needed.
    Lastly, I have a cardiac condition; some two years back an Ambulance crew had to get me out of the pew at Saint Mary's/Saint Alphonsus in New Orleans. I got a pacemaker then.

So, please, don't criticize us unless you "know the whole story", and are absolutely certain.

leVieux
    ARJ Defense ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The thing is, there are enough so-called "handicapped" people that are scamming the system, that unless an ailment is readily apparent, many people are suspicious of those who look healthy and normal.

what about the obese, tooling around stores in the mobility scooters, with their baskets brimming with junk food? And many times, they too are parked in a handicapped spot.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The thing is, there are enough so-called "handicapped" people that are scamming the system, that unless an ailment is readily apparent, many people are suspicious of those who look healthy and normal.

what about the obese, tooling around stores in the mobility scooters, with their baskets brimming with junk food? And many times, they too are parked in a handicapped spot.
    That one really gets my blood boiling. Most of the people at the Walmart I go to fall into this category.
    Upwards of 300 lbs, using the electric "cripple-cart". Cart overflowing will pure shit. Can't imagine how they got that way.
    BTW, my own parents fall into this category, so I have first-hand knowledge of how stupid behaviour can translate into a difficult and sedentary lifestyle.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    When I have a BOUT with gout, I dread going anywhere. The first thing I do is grab a cart to help me walk. I normally have it in my ankles. After a week or so, I'm usually able to walk normally.

I don't have a placard sure have considered it when dealing with gout.

I have stopped making judgements. My former MIL had a placard due to a digestive issue. Believe me, you did not want to get in the way if she was trying to make it to the bathroom in Walmart.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    While we're on the topic...............

DV plates are not good enough on their own anymore....must have a placard also to park in handicap parking.....

I don't agree with it, but is what it is................

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I fully support the handicap parking and have no problem with a disability parking there.

What I do have a problem is a lifted truck with 37's that requires you to jump in and out should not be able to claim handicapped. If you have PTSD or some mental issue, you can walk like the rest if us and leave the spots for the physically challenged.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My point is, that enough people have, or are abusing the privilege that unless an ailment is apparent, it makes other's suspicious if they are real, or just faking so they can get some preferential treatment like a better parking spot or the use of mobility scooters.

My own doctor said she would write a letter so I could apply for a "handicapped" placard. I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back and neck. And it does limit the amount of walking I am able to do before hurting pretty bad.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Also, I think part of the abuse is that stores, and possibly even LE are not enforcing the "illegal" parking well enough. If they would start ticketing, and having violator's vehicles towed and impounded, it might decrease the violations of these offenders.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I know back in the 80s, a handicap spot also required the fine for illegally parking there to before they were able to write a ticket.
    I don't know if it's still that way.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    True enough, leVieux, what you say.

Regrettably there are a lot of “cheats” out there. I’ve never considered it my place to say anything because of the very points you make. Plus, I just naturally tend to “mind my own business” (call me ‘old school’). I never bought into this new publicized Gestapo routine of, “see something… say something”. Smacks too much of the 1930s ‘brown shirts’ to me. Living in a society where friends and neighbors are spying on each other doesn’t really appeal to me.

I have two long time work acquaintances that I personally believe abuse the handicap placard thing. The female supposedly has joint (knee) problems. Yet it hasn’t stopped her from owning and riding horses for more than twenty years - her entire working career and for as long as I’ve known her, she’s had the handicap placard thing going on. The male has the handicap placard hanging on his rear view mirror which I believe were rightfully justified and assigned to his wife. She died a few years back (health issues) and it was about that same time, I noticed his truck began displaying the handicap placards. He’s a couple years older than me but is at least as healthy as myself. I suspect he knows how to play the system since he’s an ex-LEO. To each their own.

My last comment has to do with the number of parking spaces reserved for handicap use. Now, I’ll also say, this situation doesn’t seem to be as bad nowadays as it was twenty or thirty years ago. But back several years ago, it seemed to me architectural space requirements or perhaps city ordinances dedicated way too many parking spaces in a commercial parking lot, to be set aside for handicap use. Maybe they re-evaluated the criteria and changed things OR maybe I’ve just gotten used to seeing an inordinate number of generally unused handicap parking spaces close to front entrances.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My point is, that enough people have, or are abusing the privilege that unless an ailment is apparent, it makes other's suspicious if they are real, or just faking so they can get some preferential treatment like a better parking spot or the use of mobility scooters.

My own doctor said she would write a letter so I could apply for a "handicapped" placard. I have degenerative disk disease in my lower back and neck. And it does limit the amount of walking I am able to do before hurting pretty bad.
    My back is wasted along with a shit load of things including being a fat fuqer. Sure would love to have anyone want to debate it with. I need to get it straight before I’m in a weaker or chair. Hopefully that’s a ways away.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    While we're on the topic...............

DV plates are not good enough on their own anymore....must have a placard also to park in handicap parking.....

I don't agree with it, but is what it is................
    My understanding is that if a vehicle has handicapped plates, a plackard is not needed. My wife's vehicle has the handicapped plates and I have a plackard in my vehicle if she is going with me and we need it. If there is a law that requires both, please note where it is.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My understanding is that if a vehicle has handicapped plates, a plackard is not needed. My wife's vehicle has the handicapped plates and I have a plackard in my vehicle if she is going with me and we need it. If there is a law that requires both, please note where it is.
    They are talking about Disabled Veterans plates

Top Bottom