• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gulfpirate101

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2024
    Corpus Christi
    I have an old stainless/synthetic Remington Model 7 .260 that I purchased new in the late 90's. It is one of the first .260's ever made and has the slow twist rate. I've never gotten better that 1.5" groups at 100yds. Anything I can do to increase accuracy?
    Hurley's Gold

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    What is your trigger pull weight? It's often difficult to get decent accuracy with a heavy factory-set trigger weight.

All of my Remingtons have benefitted from bedding the action and floating the barrel, FWIW.

What bullets are you currently shooting? I wouldn't really expect a 1 in 9" twist rate to necessarily hinder accuracy unless using longer, heavy-for-caliber bullets. But, often individual barrels can be finicky with what they prefer, so trying a different/lighter bullet weight is not a bad idea.

What rest do you use while shooting those groups? Has anyone else shot your rifle? Did they get the same results? Do you own any other rifles that consistently give you tight groups? I'm not necessarily suggesting that your bench technique may be part of the problem, mind you, but, without providing additional information, that may also be a consideration.

Last edited:

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    What is your trigger pull weight? It's often difficult to get decent accuracy with a heavy factory-set trigger weight.

All of my Remingtons have benefitted from bedding the action and floating the barrel, FWIW.

What bullets are you currently shooting? I wouldn't really expect a 1 in 9" twist rate to necessarily hinder accuracy unless using longer, heavy-for-caliber bullets. But, often individual barrels can be finicky with what they prefer, so trying a different/lighter bullet weight is not a bad idea.

What rest do you use while shooting those groups? Has anyone else shot your rifle? Did they get the same results? Do you own any other rifles that consistently give you tight groups? I'm not necessarily suggesting that your bench technique may be part of the problem, mind you, but, without providing additional information, that may also be a consideration.
    When questions are short and lack info it's better to not drop a load on the one who asked the question.
    Just my experience.

Top Bottom