• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Picked up 2K Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primers from Brownells a couple weeks ago. Went today to put a couple loads across the chrono using them instead of the Federal primers I normally use. I had 2 that did not fire. I tried each of them twice, but neither went off. Got home and pulled them apart, and they look fine. This is the first time I’ve used Remington primers, wondering if anyone else has had any issues with them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

CDF

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    N. of ATX
    I've used Remington primers in the past without issues but no Remington primers of recent production. I certainly hope that there isn't a pattern here for both our sakes since I too ended up with a couple of bricks from Brownell's about a week before your post about ordering some.

I don't know how long it will be until I get to the range but will report back on my failure or success with the recent production 9.5's.

Thumper2336

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Austin
    Picked up 2K Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primers from Brownells a couple weeks ago. Went today to put a couple loads across the chrono using them instead of the Federal primers I normally use. I had 2 that did not fire. I tried each of them twice, but neither went off. Got home and pulled them apart, and they look fine. This is the first time I’ve used Remington primers, wondering if anyone else has had any issues with them before.

ive been having issues with recent bought primers as well, I thought it was my quality control and getting oil or something on them, but i started loading in very controlled conditions and still having problems.

Thumper2336

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2022
    Austin
    I've used Remington primers in the past without issues but no Remington primers of recent production. I certainly hope that there isn't a pattern here for both our sakes since I too ended up with a couple of bricks from Brownell's about a week before your post about ordering some.

I don't know how long it will be until I get to the range but will report back on my failure or success with the recent production 9.5's.
    usually i dont have issues with them either but lately i dont know whats going on

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Went back out today and tested some different powders and charges with the Remington primers. Out of 20 rounds I loaded, there were 4 failures. Doesn’t seem to matter what powder or charge weight. Going to email Remington with the lot number and see what the hell is going on! Spent over $200 on 2K large rifle primers, and out of the first pack I tried, at least 8 have failed to fire. On a more positive note, I cleaned the bejeezus out of my rifle yesterday, so I grabbed some rounds I loaded a couple weeks ago to warm the gun up before I tried the rounds with the Remington primers. First 5 shots:
    bfe58e5d835c0b1e9c700c9cdbad4df4.jpg

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ve been researching the issue, and over the years, this topic keeps showing up on different forums. Seems that the common answer to the problem is primer seating depth. I have noticed that the Remington primers take quite a bit of force to seat flush/below flush, but I thought I had been careful enough to check every case after priming to insure the primer was seated all the way. But it’s possible the ones that wouldn’t fire, just weren’t seated deep enough. The ones that didn’t fire today looked fine, the primers were seated just below flush, but I don’t know what else it could be.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom