• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I recently took a Model 1100 in on trade and not being as versed in shotguns as I am in rifles and pistols, I failed to notice something strange. This gun has beautiful wood and I'd say the finish is 98-99% but the barrel is extremely short......about 24" and has a screw in Improved Choke. The barrel has vent ribs with a red site dot about half way down and a white dot at the barrel end. The barrel is stamped Mod (which I know is modified) and I screwed out the choke and it's make with an capital I which I assume stands for Improved. I didn't realize that Remington made Model 1100 with replaceable chokes. Any thoughts? Maybe someone bored and threaded the barrel for chokes. If so.......they did a great job. This gun even has scroll work on the bolt assembly. Any ideal of the value? Again I'm not very knowledgeable on shotguns.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    I think I found some of the info I was looking for. I checked and this is a total stock Remington 1100 Field with a 23" barrel. Scrolled receiver and scrolled forearm & stock. Still don't know what it's worth.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    The previous owner could have had the barrel threaded for chokes. As far as the value goes it kinda dependds on the buyer some shotgunners consider the 1100 a better gun than the 11-87, which is basically a 1100 that shoots 3" shells.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    The previous owner could have had the barrel threaded for chokes. As far as the value goes it kinda dependds on the buyer some shotgunners consider the 1100 a better gun than the 11-87, which is basically a 1100 that shoots 3" shells.

Like I said after more research discovered it is a 1100 Special Field and the barrel and chokes are factory.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Odd that the factory barrel with screw in choke tubes is stamped MOD. Is this the version with the straight stock, no pistol grip? I have always liked them. They handle very well. The short barrel makes a fine shotgun even handier.

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Odd that the factory barrel with screw in choke tubes is stamped MOD. Is this the version with the straight stock, no pistol grip? I have always liked them. They handle very well. The short barrel makes a fine shotgun even handier.

The Special Field does have the straight english style stock and a 21" barrel. I called Remington just about an hour ago and they verified it was manufactured in 1986 with all the factory scroll work on receiver, bolt, forearm and stock..............but as Dee suggested.....original barrel length was 28" & Modified Choke. Whoever cut the barrel & vent rib plus threaded the barrel to accept standard Rem Chokes did an excellent job! Chokes screws in and out like a new factory barrel and I can not even tell the vent rib and front site has been modified. GOing to try and sell this weekend and the Longview Gun Show.

RPB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Texas
    I traded off an 1100 I forget which size chamber, 3" or 2-3/4" last year and with it, several barrels for it, various lengths, and some were threaded and a few choke tubes for it.
    Actually, there are Factory Remington replacement barrels with Rem Chokes/Remchoke

It's fairly easy to swap barrels and use any of the replacement barrels., and preserve the original ....personally, I put polymer stocks on to save the wooden ones in good condition.

I had also added an extended magazine tube, and added sidesaddle shell holder, extended safety etc. etc etc. I think the only barrel I didn't have was the rifled ones, but i may have had a rifled one too, can't recall.

Scroll down on the table on this link look for Rem Choke
    http://www.remington.com/sitecore/c...emington-original-factory-barrels-tables.aspx

I suppose there are other non-factory aftermarket replacements too, and it's also possible someone may have cut one and rethreaded...

I used to customize 870s for Officers at a Police Dept, and I liked the 1100, but parted with it during a time of monetary need. But yes, you can get factory threaded "replacement" barrels, tubes etc for the 1100, at least I did many years ago when I got the one I had.

I still like my 870, but may trade/upgrade to the Marine Grade Stainless some day, if I can keep my foregrip, which I don't see sold anywhere anymore.

vanmedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    van
    Stoegers are cheaper turkish gun 350-450 range and give pretty good preformance. I have owned 2 without issues

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Bought a Yildiz 12 ga O/U at the last Tyler Gun Show..............love it so far........just need a limb saver to help with recoil.

If the stock has a spot you may want to get you a mercury type reducer and throw in there while the pad is off.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    I have a Yildiz MX clays and it has been freaking great so far. If you can find/afford to shot 1oz loads your sholder will lover you later

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    +1 on the limbsaver. My 12g Yildiz has gone from 2 3/4" #8 shot dove loads to 3" magnum T shot goose loads and the Limbsaver tamed all of them.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Shot a box of 25 with out feeling it later. That IS the same shoulder that gets a full day of magnum bolt guns a couple times a month. So it could just tough shoulder I suppose...

ok a box a 25 I can deal with much more then that I dont think would be plesent, but then again I dont have a limbsiver on any of my guns... or I could just be a big wus either way

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom