• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    [h=1]Ian M. Tawney[/h]Sgt. Ian M. Tawney died on October 16, 2010, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Ian was born on December 3, 1984 in Salem, Oregon the son of John and Theda Smith Chandler Tawney.
    He grew up in Dallas and graduated from Dallas High School in 2003. Ian married Ashley Stevenson on July 30, 2005 in La Jolla, California.
    Ian enlisted in the Marine Corps on March 14, 2005. He became a squad leader, and a Marine Corps firearms and martial arts instructor. This was his fifth deployment overseas.
    Ian always maintained close ties to his roots in the small town of Dallas, but even from an early age, he loved to explore.
    His strong sense of independence manifested itself when he organized a yearlong trip to Argentina at age 15. And his enthusiasm for life became evident when he returned, spouting fluent Spanish.
    “As a very young child, he had a very strong sense of self and was very decisive about what he wanted to do with his life,” said his mother, Theda.
    So when Ian, 25, joined the Corps five years ago, his work ethic quickly distinguished him, and he won several awards.
    But his life was cut short Oct. 16 when he was conducting combat operations and killed when an improvised explosive device blew up in Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
    Friends and family remember Ian as a devoted husband, a loyal friend and an avid outdoorsman.
    “It’s hard when you’ve lost somebody and you try to define who they were,” said his father, John Tawney.
    Ian was soon to be a father himself. His wife, Ashley, gave birth to a baby girl in January.
    “He was honored to be a member of the Marine Corps,” his father said. Among Ian’s numerous awards are the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Iraq Campaign Medal and Navy Unit Commendation.
    “Even though he didn’t like to call attention to himself, he was a natural leader,” his mother said.
    Ian fought in Iraq in 2007. He was the 26th Oregonian to die in the Afghanistan conflict.
    Ian was a top student in squad leader school, and he graduated as the honor man of his class, his father said. He had wanted to make the Marines his career.
    His wife described him as outgoing and full of life. He loved hunting, snowboarding and riding motorcycles.
    “He loved to laugh,” Ashley Tawney said. The two met in preschool and stayed friends throughout high school. Finally, when both of them were working at a retirement facility, they began dating. Ian was excited about the arrival of their daughter.
    “It’s going to be a real blessing to have a part of him through her,” Theda Tawney said.
    Ian had attended the First Presbyterian Church and had a strong Christian Faith. He enjoyed his pets, Quincy his dog and Bobby and Tucker his cats. He loved watching football and was an avid Beaver Fan. He also liked watching movies. Ian was a devoted husband, a loyal friend and an avid outdoorsman. He loved hunting, snowboarding and riding motorcycles.
    Among the awards he received are the Purple Heart, Combat Action Ribbon, Iraq Campaign Medal, Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Medal, Global War on Terrorism Medal, Humanitarian, and Navy Unit Commendation. He graduated at the top of his Squad Leader course and was recognized as the class Honor Man.
    In addition to his parents and his wife, Ian is survived by his brothers, Shayne Chandler and Jacob Tawney, and sisters Stacy Barham, Karin Lamberton and Karla Cowan; and his grandmothers, Leona Smith and Kathryn Tawney.
    A Funeral with full military honors took place at 11 a.m. Saturday, October 23, 2010, at Faith Evangelical Free Church in Dallas, Ore. A procession followed to the Dallas Cemetery with the assistance of the Patriot Guard Riders.
    “He just knew what he wanted in his life, and he went for it,” his mother said. “He was a man of great integrity.”

314146_503248359688136_1037210842_n.jpg
    ARJ Defense ad

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    It's a few days off, but I would like to add a list of fallen for remembrance. October 23, 1983, 241 Marines, Soldiers and Sailors lost their life in what has still been the largest single day loss of US Military personal since WWII. It's a little bone chilling to scroll down and realize how long this page is. In our house, we take a few minutes on this day to remember.

Beirut Memorial On Line - NAMES

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    It's a few days off, but I would like to add a list of fallen for remembrance. October 23, 1983, 241 Marines, Soldiers and Sailors lost their life in what has still been the largest single day loss of US Military personal since WWII. It's a little bone chilling to scroll down and realize how long this page is. In our house, we take a few minutes on this day to remember.

Beirut Memorial On Line - NAMES

Great post, Never Forgotten!

jeffro2912

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 12, 2013
    Ft. Worth

Hey man, you don't know me, but I was over in Afghan around the time you were heading back for the states. You know more than anyone that Sangin was a nasty place an I wanted to let you my heart truly goes out for you. I'm no grunt and i didn't lose anyone overseas, so I don't know how it feels, but I can imagine the pain, and it's awful. Stay strong brother.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    It's 15 April.. just read this thread again, chocked up as much as the first time.. got a suggestion..

Maybe we can show our respect by giving this thread a bump at least once a month.. That way we can make sure "they won't be forgotten"

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Sorry guys I messed up, after the forum crashed I thought this thread got lost thank you for finding it and giving it a bump up. I need to get on the ball as there are more guys I haven't yet added on here. In other news tomorrow marks my one year mark as a civilian and I find myself being more nostalgic everyday. There's no doubt that I've adjusted to civilian life pretty good by looking at me (beard and gut) but I do have an IRR muster in San Marcos on Saturday so that'll be interesting.

Hey man, you don't know me, but I was over in Afghan around the time you were heading back for the states. You know more than anyone that Sangin was a nasty place an I wanted to let you my heart truly goes out for you. I'm no grunt and i didn't lose anyone overseas, so I don't know how it feels, but I can imagine the pain, and it's awful. Stay strong brother.

Sangin was no joke, a lot of good men paid the ultimate sacrifice there and continue to do so. I was not a grunt either, I was an armory guy in an infantry battalion, I just hope that I did everything I could to keep the equipment up for the guys doing work. I did make a lot of close friends in the almost 4 years I was with that unit, some who didn't make it back. I am not one of those guys who claim things in which I did not do but I'll be damned if someone will tell me I didn't do my part.

It's 15 April.. just read this thread again, chocked up as much as the first time.. got a suggestion..

Maybe we can show our respect by giving this thread a bump at least once a month.. That way we can make sure "they won't be forgotten"

Nothing wrong with that idea at all.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    TX Dark Horse.. our newest mod..

Daryl.. i know this is going to get you, as always it got me.. but figure it's vet's day, and if ever a good time for a "bump" now's the time..

for all of the Vet's.. and for all of those who paid the ultimate.. Vietnam .. early 1968.. (navy patrol squd. VP-26) we lost two 12 man air crews on operation market time (small ship interdiction) both shot down by small arms.. Always make clear i was never in any danger.. but i think about those 24 squadron mates so often .. 45 years ago... kids.. so for all of those in danger.. for all that made it back.. for those who's sacrifice makes our service seem so little by comparison .. Hand salute .. TWO

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I really need to get in here and get the rest of the stories up but damn it the suicide rate amongst vets is bullshit! Lost another friend this weekend to his own hand, RIP Tafoya.

uha2yqe4.jpg

e5usugy5.jpg

8uvu2ete.jpg

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Just saw this Brother, and I'm not ashamed to say that I sit here in tears as I type this. My heartfelt thanks & gratitude to you and your fallen Brothers for keeping us safe. I love all of y'all as if you are my own blood. We will NEVER FORGET!!!

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    What a shame. It's bad enough to lose them to combat, but by one's own hand, even worse. My condolences.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom