• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    I started this thread and the resurrection made me reread all the posts. The one about the people who complain about the A-bomb attacks but ignored the sneak attack on Pearl Harbor reminded me about Pete, my old fishing buddy from 50 years ago.

Pete (never knew his real first name) was a Japanese immigrant who came to the US in his early 20’s. He lived in a rural area of Japan during the war as a young boy. He told me stories of being outside and seeing the waves of US bombers flying over his farm on the way to their bombing targets. He said that some days the planes flew over hour after hour because the Japanese air force had been decimated and offered no resistance except over high value targets.

Pete told me that many, many Japanese did not want the war but were forced into 100% support be the military government. The emperor was a figure head and the military called all the shots. He did not hold any animosity towards the US and said most Japanese held their own leadership responsible. They saw Hiroshima and Nagasaki as the fault of their leaders who refused to surrender after the war had already been lost.

I had many Japanese-American friends, most of whose fathers fought for the US in the famous 442nd Infantry Regiment in Europe while their families were in the Tule Lake internment camps. Pete, however, was the only Japanese national I knew who actually lived there during the war.

As a side note, this guy was the best fisherman I ever knew. I was also visiting him at his convenience store one night when some punk came in and robbed him at gunpoint. I had the pleasure of standing shoulder to shoulder with him while we ventilated the punk’s car as he sped away.

Thanks for the memories!

Top Bottom