• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sskimber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2008
    Pearland, TX
    I agree tat reloading does take additional time; however what is more satisfying an a Tuesday night, reloading or watch the stuff on TV? I view reloading as an extension of my shooting/gun time. there are many times when it is not practical to go to the range, Raining or such. but I can go to my little cave and still enjoy myself. I don't know about everyone but when I shoot a new load it is very rewarding and satisfying. I get a higher quality round, at a cheaper price and I get to spend my time doing something I enjoy in addition it keeps me busy and out of trouble(mostly).
    Venture Surplus ad

billt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Glendale, Arizona
    I agree tat reloading does take additional time; however what is more satisfying an a Tuesday night, reloading or watch the stuff on TV? I view reloading as an extension of my shooting/gun time. there are many times when it is not practical to go to the range, Raining or such. but I can go to my little cave and still enjoy myself. I don't know about everyone but when I shoot a new load it is very rewarding and satisfying. I get a higher quality round, at a cheaper price and I get to spend my time doing something I enjoy in addition it keeps me busy and out of trouble(mostly).

Exactly. Hobbies trade time for enjoyment, regardless of what they may be. I'm the opposite here in Phoenix, of people in the Midwest. We don't get much rain, and zero snow. I usually reload in the hot Summer months when it's just too hot to shoot. Then in the Winter when it cools down, I'm ready to rock and roll. Plus reloading allows you to shoot more on a relaxed budget. In the last couple of years with ammo prices going through the roof, literally thousands of shooters have taken up reloading for economic reasons. With many calibers now costing over a dollar a round, many would not be able to afford to shoot any other way. The cost is going to continue to escalate. As it does, more and more will be reloading. Bill T.

TexasGuns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    La Porte,Texas USA
    Reloading is time consuming. Trimming the brass takes most of the time when reloading
    Now I have been reloading .223 for a year. It is cost effective you could save up to 50%. I enjoy it though. I use a progressive type reloader.

My setup is in my garage, now I need A/C in my garage.

I also stock up on factory when possible, but try to stay away from "cheap" because sometimes good bulk surplus can be found and is worth the bucks. I can reuse the brass and this justifies purchasing factory IMHO.

Now I'm going to go and trim some brass :D

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    For reloading vs. Expensive Factory, there is no decision to be made.

We need 80grain .223 for long range shooting. Commercial is >$1.00/rd. Plus, the OAL is irregular and for max accuracy you want consistent length with an OAL tuned for your own rifle.

So now that I have the setup, I may as well crank out the short range ammo too.

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    I started casting 200gr 45ACP from free wheel weights.
    Essentially, my cost is primer and powder.

1000 primers are 22-27$.

1320 loads 5.3gr of W231 for 1lb of powder. 20$.

It's cheaper than the bar, but all the women are armed.

Top Bottom