• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    In my experience, reloading target loads is not cost-effective not because of the $$, but because of the time you invest to sit there and make them. You will only save a few cents after every 25 shells you reload, compared to the store-bought stuff. IMO your time and efforts are better spent elsewhere if you live close to a Walmart, Academy, etc.

Now, if the closest ammo depot/gun store is far away from your homestead, then yes it could be well worth it. I know a few gentlemen that live in the incorporated areas of Hudspeth and Culberson Counties, and they have to reload since the closest location that sells ammo is over 100 miles away. They keep and reload their hulls, and boy when they compete... they are good.

The only way "I personally" see a benefit to reloading shotgun loads, is reloading slugs, buck & ball, or shot & ball.

Ok so I decided to pull the trigger, pun intended, and picked up a cheap 12g reloader for $79.00
    Reasons are 1. I just wanted one and to have the ability to reload when ammo is scarce. 2. buck shot ammo is so damn expensive.
    I picked up 1000 primers for $67.00 and a 5lb box of 00 buck shot. I still need some wads but without a reloading manual I was not sure what type of wadding to get. They didn't have a reloading manual but will pick one up when I find one.
    I'm sure I can convert some of my bird shot loads to buck shot in a pinch. As for time spent roloading, it really doesn't mater if I'm sitting around doing nothing anyway.
    Another reason is the only 12g ammo available in my area is #9/8/and 71/2 and that is going for $9.99 a box for the cheapest stuff I can find. AA #6 are going for $34.99 a box.
    All buck shot ammo is going for $9.99 for a box of 5. Thats 2 bucks a round.
    Academy is close by but limit ammo to only 4 boxes a visit per day.
    And hey, who needs a reason to buy more gun stuff.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Ok so I decided to pull the trigger, pun intended, and picked up a cheap 12g reloader for $79.00
    Reasons are 1. I just wanted one and to have the ability to reload when ammo is scarce. 2. buck shot ammo is so damn expensive.
    I picked up 1000 primers for $67.00 and a 5lb box of 00 buck shot. I still need some wads but without a reloading manual I was not sure what type of wadding to get. They didn't have a reloading manual but will pick one up when I find one.
    I'm sure I can convert some of my bird shot loads to buck shot in a pinch. As for time spent roloading, it really doesn't mater if I'm sitting around doing nothing anyway.
    Another reason is the only 12g ammo available in my area is #9/8/and 71/2 and that is going for $9.99 a box for the cheapest stuff I can find. AA #6 are going for $34.99 a box.
    All buck shot ammo is going for $9.99 for a box of 5. Thats 2 bucks a round.
    Academy is close by but limit ammo to only 4 boxes a visit per day.
    And hey, who needs a reason to buy more gun stuff.
    What kind of shells (be very specific) and what length, for 00 buck and I can check Lymans 5th Shotshell manual. Again, powder, wad, primers, shells are not interchangeable in shotgun. 200 round 00 Buck is $159 at SGammo. Probably more than I will ever shoot in a lifetime so there is reloading for fun and reloading to save money and sometimes (but not always) both and sometimes it never pays. I can't tell you how many pounds of powder I have that I can never use for shotgun. Same with primers, wads (cheap though but space consuming). If you are using that cheap Lee press make sure you check that powder weight accurately.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    What kind of shells (be very specific) and what length, for 00 buck and I can check Lymans 5th Shotshell manual. Again, powder, wad, primers, shells are not interchangeable in shotgun. 200 round 00 Buck is $159 at SGammo. Probably more than I will ever shoot in a lifetime so there is reloading for fun and reloading to save money and sometimes (but not always) both and sometimes it never pays. I can't tell you how many pounds of powder I have that I can never use for shotgun. Same with primers, wads (cheap though but space consuming). If you are using that cheap Lee press make sure you check that powder weight accurately.
    I have a whole range of shotgun ammo.
    All 2-3/4'' 12g
    Winchester supper target #71/2---#8 and #9's
    Winchester AA #5 -#6 #71/2
    Winchester supper X #6
    Remington gun club #71/2
    Estate supper sport competition target loads #71/2
    Remington sure shot heavy dove #71/2
    Federal premium #7
    Federal target load #8
    Monarch high velocity lead shot #6
    I also have some # 4's and 6's but not sure what brand, I will have to look.

The 5lb 00 buck shot was $37.99

Last edited:

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    That 5# of shot should make about 66 rounds of 00 buck. How much was the lead shot?
    I'm gonna check Academy on my next trip for a reloading book.
    The Lee load all II - Primers and 00 buck shot I got from 10 ring
    I also picked up some 9mm 124gr HP Sierra bullets while I was there.

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    As an example of the complexity of buckshot, for Winchester HS cases.
    Powder HS-6, 31.5 grains, Fed 209a primer, One BPGS, One 12 g 1/2" fiber under pellets, One 12 G 1/4" fiber under pellets, 9 pellets of 00Buck.

Or, SR 7625, 32.0 grains, Win 209 primer, Win WAA12R, 9 pellets 00 Buck.

00 buck has to be put in by hand in layers.
    Manual I have is Lyman Shotshell Reloading 5th edition

Or SGAmmo.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Well crap! Got set up to load some 9mm and can't find my reloading bible.:facepalm: Might have to dig through my ammo stash and find some loads I loaded in the past and copy the data on the box. I picked up some 90gr HP's a few weeks ago but I don't have any rounds already loaded with that bullet. Guess I'll keep searching for my bible.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    90gr HP sounds like a .380 AUTO bullet...

I have a pellet/shot mold. I have never used it since I do not load shotgun shells.

I had a .410 Lee Loader (long out of production) I sold on eBay for $250.00.

Might check Academy in Sherman tomorrow. Oh wait, they're actually closed on Easter.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013

I have a pellet/shot mold. I have never used it since I do not load shotgun shells.

Might check Academy in Sherman tomorrow. Oh wait, they're actually closed on Easter.
    It is a very light round for a 9mm but it says 9mm Hornady XTP .355'' on the box.
    I just thought I would try a lighter load for my lady friend who is recoil sensitive with the Sig P365.
    It is a shorter bullet so I'm wondering if it will be stable or tumble in flight.
    I have some XTP 124gr I am also going to load up.

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013

Thanks for the loading data. I will get a loading manual and double check before I do any loading. Gotta be careful with information from the web. lol

sb47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2013
    Found my speer reloading book. No loading data for a 9mm with a 95gr bullet.
    I can however load some 124gr HP's

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Found my speer reloading book. No loading data for a 9mm with a 95gr bullet.
    I can however load some 124gr HP's
    Yeah there is likely a 95 grain load out there but maybe not in a manual. You can load the 124 light enough for someone that is recoil sensitive.

A lot of people do not realize 9X19 is a high pressure round and since it is small and tapered, there is little room for error. The difference between a starting load and an over-pressure load can be just a few tenths of a grain with some powders.

Top Bottom