• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    More the merrier!

I have quite a few. I like to compare reloading data to verify my loads. Plus, different manuals will sometimes list different powders or bullets than other manuals.

Another good reason to have them, is there are a lot of newer reloaders that rely simply off reloading data from the internet. Not a bad idea in itself, and I too utilize powder manufacturers websites for reloading data as well, but I print that information and then catalog it into binders. I like having hard copies and printed material as a back up just in case the internet can't be accessed.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Regular usage, I have the Lee 2nd Edition, , Hornady # 10, the Speer manual (not sure about the number). and Lyman's 50th.

I also access the websites of course, and have a tendency to print those out for safe keeping. I'm always bouncing between the manuals to find the right powder/projectile combination.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Just curious how many manuals do you guys have/use when reloading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are all equally good on their own accord.
    The truth is (for any reloader worth one's salt) these references only provide the range where you should "start" your testing.
    I have come to my own conclusion that every firearm [especially rifles] is different and prefers it's own recipe. What works for your hunting buddy down the street may not be what works best in your rifle. One .270 pet load in one of my rifles may be slightly different in another one I own. It is up to YOU the reloader to keep good notes of your powder and configuration trials, and dial in your own combustion charge, seating depth, and bullet type to maximize your performance.

My best reloading book cost me $1 at Family Dollar back in 2005. It is my own handwritten notebook recording my own personal results for each individual rifle I own. The data in that ratty book took a lot of work, time, and money to develop. Now, if you are only shooting 100 to 300 yards and ok with shooting minute of man; then by all means pick up a set of Lee Dippers and plink away. Accuracy and consistency take time, practice, and recording.

If you want to know where your POI is at 1200 yds, that takes not only practice but also the most optimum load that rifle likes.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    I use all the ones I have. Lyman 50, Sierra Bullets, Nosler, P.O. Ackley, and Lasercast. I Xref when doing load development, and I keep a small notepad with me when I'm ladder testing loads... then when I've chosen a load, I copy the info into a binder/ledger that I keep with all my various loads for different firearms.

I also use a burn rate chart, and consult manufacturer's websites. I once found a load for .45ACP powder puff loads using TiteWad powder on Hogdon's website that wasn't available out of any reloading book.

And I never use informal data listed on forums unless it is consistent with what I already know about a powder/bullet combo. For example, xxx grs of Red Dot and a 124gr 9mm TMJ plated are going to be about the same no matter what bullet maker. Just have to figure out the OAL for that particular ogive by verifying with a plunk test.

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I use all the ones I have. Lyman 50, Sierra Bullets, Nosler, P.O. Ackley, and Lasercast. I Xref when doing load development, and I keep a small notepad with me when I'm ladder testing loads... then when I've chosen a load, I copy the info into a binder that I keep with all my various loads for different firearms.

I also use a burn rate chart, and consult manufacturer's websites. I once found a load for .45ACP powder puff loads using TiteWad powder on Hogdon's website that wasn't available out of any reloading book.

And I never use informal data listed on forums unless it is consistent with what I already know about a powder/bullet combo. For example, xxx grs of Red Dot and a 124gr 9mm TMJ plated are going to be about the same no matter what bullet maker. Just have to figure out the OAL for that particular ogive by verifying with a plunk test.

One thing I have never done is list the exact load I use in my guns. I'll list the type of powder, brand, type, and weight of the bullet I used, and the load manual where I obtained the load data. I never list the powder charges I use. What powder charges I use is my business.

It is that person's responsibility to verify and confirm if that load is good for their guns.

bbbass

Looking Up!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2020
    NE Orygun
    One thing I have never done is list the exact load I use in my guns. I'll list the type of powder, brand, type, and weight of the bullet I used, and the load manual where I obtained the load data. I never list the powder charges I use. What powder charges I use is my business.

It is that person's responsibility to verify and confirm if that load is good for their guns.

Many reloaders will agree that sharing specific load data on the interwebs has some liability attached. But I ain afraid a no ghosts!!! :what:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Many reloaders will agree that sharing specific load data on the interwebs has some liability attached. But I ain afraid a no ghosts!!! :what:

I just have made it a practice not to list the powder charges I use. What I use might not be safe for others in their guns. I might also decide I want to go beyond recommended published charge weights on the powder. I prefer they do their own research into what powder charge to use.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I use several, plus the internet, friends and some Loaddata Books.
    I don't have a problem telling people what my load data is. I will also tell them where I got it and to look up the load data themselves as well. And then use their best judgement.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I have collected manuals for years

I have Speer 1 thru current, Hornady 1 thru current, Sierra 1 thru current, Lyman 41 thru 50, Nosler 1 thru current, Hodgdon 19 thru 26 (their last full blown printed edition), Lee 1 & 2, Norma 1 & 2, Accurate Arms 1,2 & 3, an old Pacific manual, the RCBS cast bullet manual, several Lyman Cast Bullet Manuals, Ken Waters Pet loads, PO Ackley handbook for shooters and many more,
    for years as everyone comes out with a new manual, I pick up a copy.
    without going out to my loading shop, i can't remember everyones latest edition
    I have compared data in them for years

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    The Lyman manuals cover many different bullets, the Lee covers many different bullets, Hornady, Speer and Sierra cover their brands. I don't have a Speer manual and was looking for their load data for 44 magnum Bullet #4456 as some internet sites said not to use standard loads. I contacted Speer and asked for handgun loads for Win 296 and Aliant 2400 and they promptly sent me load data. Their site lists rifle loads but not handgun loads.
    The point is that with a specific bullet many of the companies will provide load data without purchase of a manual.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    For handguns I use mostly cast bullets so I use the Lyman Cast Bullet handbook and Lee Manual. For Rifles I always preferred to use data from the bullet manufactures so I have old manuals from Hornady, Sierra, Nosler and Speer. Now days I go to the bullet manufacture's web site.

I recently got the electronic version of Lyman's 50th and the Hornady Manual.

So:
    Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook
    Lyman's 50th
    Lee Manual

These along with the internet should have you covered.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    If anybody wants to part with some old unused manuals, I'm a newbie to reloading and only use online data.

Hornady has an app and you can buy just the caliber you want or for about $20.00 you can get them all. And I believe it’s a one time fee and you get updates as new calibers come out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom