Patriot Mobile

Reloading Class Near Texarkana (within 100 miles at most)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Anyone know of a certified reloading instructor, who truly knows how to instruct on the subject and who gives classes within 100 miles or so, at most, of Texarkana?

I took a class in New York some years back by a guy who claimed he was certified by the NRA to give the class. It was one of the worst classes I have ever taken in any subject. Instructor seemed like a nice guy but one instructor for about 12-14 students, in such a hands-on type of training, was a ridiculous and evidently failed attempt at best. When our instructor in that class told us to break up into groups of about four, then told each group to perform one different reloading function and have the other students in our group assure we were all dong it right, then took on a dumbfounded student as his helper, it became painfully obvious that it was a major failure. Tried to get my money back but no go and never got the certificate he promised because after the fact he said his NRA certification had already expired and thus he could not certify anyone. Amazingly he had been highly recommended.

Anyway, I'd like to take another reloading course, this time with someone who is both truly knowledgeable, knows how to instruct properly and either limits class size to 3 or 4 student per instructor, or has an assistant or two who also know their stuff.

Thanks.
    Target Sports

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I don't know of any actual classes, my recommendation would be first buy a quality reloading manual and read it, not trying to be a smart@$$, but here is a lot of info there that one needs to be aware of that may not be covered in a class, to be successful, one must have a knowledge of the components and their use in various cartridges to make good solid choices in cartridge/component compatibility, the manual will also have proper techniques for the mechanics of reloading and the actual equipment instructions will have info such as die adjustments, etc...
    once you have acquired that basic knowledge, the mechanics of reloading become very simple and if you can't find an actual class, there are some good u tube videos (and some junkie ones, but reading that manual first will help you be able to sift those out).
    many manufacturers also have some very good video's on their web sites.
    but to me, the most important beginning is to read that manual first for the science and principle part before tackling the mechanics side, this will help you sort out the bs from the know it all experts to, as I have often stated in life, many times the lesson is not how to, but what not to do

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    also check with your local gun shop or gun range that deals in reloading and they should be more than willing to provide some training or coaching to potential customers

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Agree with HCS. This is one case where youtube is your friend. I think the most important thing is figuring out what equipment you want to buy. For now do the research because there are no supplies.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I have to agree with @HCS on this subject.

One book I highly recommend is The ABC's of Reloading. It can be found in many bookstores, and even Amazon, new or used. Excellent book for those new to reloading and veterans alike.

Another good source is right here on TGT! I am seeing lots of great information from the members here. Lots can be learned, and any questions you might have can be answered.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    for equipment, there are many opinions,

for single stage presses, I prefer RCBS or Redding (same with die sets) but Hornady & Lyman also have good equipment

for progressive presses, I am a long time Dillon fan

when it comes to trimmers, I prefer the Forster

bottom line is
    if you stay with
    RCBS
    REDDING
    HORNADY
    LYMAN
    DILLON

you will be getting good quality equipment, many will have their own personal preferences and opinions

I am not a fan of Lee, but many people are quite content with it and it works for them so no reason to knock it, it is just not on my list of preferred equipment

SPEER, LYMAN, HORNADY, SIERRA, NOSLER, BARNES, ETC.. all have good manuals (plus many others), my recommendation for a first manual would be the Speer or Lyman

once again, if ask 10 people, you will most likely receive at least 7 different answers for preference, stick witk known qulity and get what you prefer that is within your budget and as AXXe55 stated, components are in short supply, high demand, take this time to gather your equipment and read that manual & the equipment instrucctions, watch those you tube vids and buy components as they are available at reasonable prices

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    and there is always someone willing to share knowledge on TGT and the other quality shooting forums out there
    all you have to do is ask

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    one instructor for about 12-14 students,
    That's ridiculous.

I've taken a reloading class with 20+ people in it and and it was a good class BUT the only way to do that is as a demo-only class. IOW, the instructor has the only reloading press and does most of the work, explaining what he's doing. Everyone gets a chance to get up and pull the handle to see what sizing/bullet seating/etc. feels like but that's it. IMO, anyone teaching more than 4 students in a supposedly hands-on environment is just shortchanging them all.

Just out of curiosity, my recollection is that a true NRA-compliant reloading class requires one press for every two students, minimum. It's recommended that everyone have their own press.

Did the class you attended have 6 or 7 presses available for the students to use?

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    While I might add another name or two, it brings a tear to my eye that Hollywood and Star no longer belong on that list.

I agree, I did not list them since they are no longer around, I have loaded many a round of .38's & .45's on a friends Star years ago,
    I actually have a Star sizer / luber that I always thought the best sizer for a bullet caster to have

another decent, but not common brand is C-H, just don't see it very often

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I do use Lee dies. They are great dies for the price and will reload some damn accurate rifle loads. Now, some of Lee's products do leave a bit to be desired though. I have a couple of them!

Another great book to get is Lee's Modern Reloading Manual. Excellent book. Many of the first chapters are about how the reloading process is done and will take you step by step through them. Plus, it has LOTS of reloading data! Great addiction to the other reloading data books. And buy several different data books to cross check load data. Confirm the data first. They have been known to make mistakes, or have typos.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    and there is always someone willing to share knowledge on TGT and the other quality shooting forums out there
    all you have to do is ask

I don't know everything about reloading, but I'm always willing to share what I know, and learn more from others as well. And a good thread on reloading, I may offer some input to the thread, but I also pick up lots of useful information for myself.

Reactions: HCS

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Not 100% sure, but I think both of those companies have gone out of business.
    That explains the tear in my eye.

Oddly enough, there's an active community of folks who keep the old Star machines up and running. In fact, people who really want to buy into mostly unsupported technology (That might not be fair to the current company but that's the way I see it.) can find fully refurbished loaders to buy. Anyone interested can start here.
    I actually have a Star sizer / luber that I always thought the best sizer for a bullet caster to have
    They're still available here.
    another decent, but not common brand is C-H
    They always had an eye for funky designs that approached problems differently from everyone else. They're still around, too, but does anybody buy their stuff for reasons other than nostalgia? I was kinda put off by their reticence, decades ago, to adopt more industry-standard fittings for dies, shell holders, etc. My memory is dim but didn't they keep using proprietary shell holders for a long, long time after others had switched?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I have to agree with @HCS on this subject.

One book I highly recommend is The ABC's of Reloading. It can be found in many bookstores, and even Amazon, new or used. Excellent book for those new to reloading and veterans alike.

Another good source is right here on TGT! I am seeing lots of great information from the members here. Lots can be learned, and any questions you might have can be answered.
    Self taught. Used this book. Not rocket science. Be sure to inspect brass and periodically check your scale

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    That explains the tear in my eye.

Oddly enough, there's an active community of folks who keep the old Star machines up and running. In fact, people who really want to buy into mostly unsupported technology (That might not be fair to the current company but that's the way I see it.) can find fully refurbished loaders to buy. Anyone interested can start here.

They're still available here.

They always had an eye for funky designs that approached problems differently from everyone else. They're still around, too, but does anybody buy their stuff for reasons other than nostalgia? I was kinda put off by their reticence, decades ago, to adopt more industry-standard fittings for dies, shell holders, etc. My memory is dim but didn't they keep using proprietary shell holders for a long, long time after others had switched?
    I had one of their H presses years and it used standard shell holders
    their auto champs used a rail system and everyone I knew that used them had constant jamming problems, but they discontinued the Auto Champs many years ago

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    As far as progressives I've had the Star, Auto Champs, Hornady and Dillon over the years, As far as workmanship and quality nothing can touch Star. I loaded over 250,000 rounds on one and it worked as good as new when I sold it. The PD's range had several that went over 1,000,000 rounds and were working fine when replaced by an Ammoload. Auto Champ was junque, I spent more time trying to keep it going than loading. Hornady when modified was Ok. So far Dillon is doing fine. That's all from my personal experience.

When Dillon Mfg was still a dream of Mike Dillon and he was still flying airplanes for a living he made a conversion kit for the Star loader for 223. It used a custom made carbide sizing die (by RCBS if rumors are correct). I found out it was good for about 100,000 rounds before it was worn out and oversize. I also modified a primer seating punch to remove the crimp using the Star. Fun times.

Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Lots of great advice here. I taught myself to reload when I was 14. Though it can be intimadating to the unlearned, it is not that hard if you pay attention.

I agree that the ABC’s of reloading is a great book. For an easy understanding of what is actually going on, the old paperback Lyman manuals have a section that is a quick and easy read. It’s cartoonish, which isn’t bad because it makes it simple to understand. Both books are readily available on eBay for less than $15 most of the time.

Even though Hollywood and Star are no longer made, parts are still availabe. They are two of my favorites. Here is a small sampling of some of mine.

0D400EBC-56C5-4206-9B29-234E468CEDED.jpeg

Black press on the left is a Hollywood Senior Turret. Black press on the far right is a Hollywood Super Turret that dwarves the Dillon 1050.

I use the Hollywood’s the most even though I own at least one of almost every Dillon made since day one.

003710A0-8317-4EFC-A661-082256B8FCD7.jpeg

Stars in 38 and 45 acp.

For me personally, I’d step over a pile of Lee presses to get to one vintage press. I’m not knocking them, just not for me, neither are Hi Points or Heritage Rough Riders.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Reloading is something I consider to be very safe as long as person pays attention and follows the safety procedures as they are written.

The reloading process is for the most part pretty basic and fairly simple. It's not brain surgery! There are some more complex steps in reloading when making your own cartridges by necking up or down, or taking extra steps in order to make very accurate ammo, but even those are not overly difficult to understand or to do once you have the basics understood and are able to do them.

Find a set of procedures for reloading, and follow them, each and every time. Pay attention to what you are doing at all times. Avoid distractions while reloading. Check, double-check, and triple-check your steps when reloading. Verify everything, and especially when doing the powder charges. Very easy to double-charge a pistol case.

As long as a person follows the safety procedures of reloading, there is nothing I know of that is unsafe, or dangerous about reloading.

Top Bottom