Reloading Class Near Texarkana (within 100 miles at most)

Axxe55

Trophy Husband. Just Ask My Wife!
Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
I do use Lee dies. They are great dies for the price and will reload some damn accurate rifle loads. Now, some of Lee's products do leave a bit to be desired though. I have a couple of them!

Another great book to get is Lee's Modern Reloading Manual. Excellent book. Many of the first chapters are about how the reloading process is done and will take you step by step through them. Plus, it has LOTS of reloading data! Great addiction to the other reloading data books. And buy several different data books to cross check load data. Confirm the data first. They have been known to make mistakes, or have typos.

Axxe55

Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
and there is always someone willing to share knowledge on TGT and the other quality shooting forums out there
all you have to do is ask
I don't know everything about reloading, but I'm always willing to share what I know, and learn more from others as well. And a good thread on reloading, I may offer some input to the thread, but I also pick up lots of useful information for myself.

Reactions: HCS

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
Not 100% sure, but I think both of those companies have gone out of business.
That explains the tear in my eye.

Oddly enough, there's an active community of folks who keep the old Star machines up and running. In fact, people who really want to buy into mostly unsupported technology (That might not be fair to the current company but that's the way I see it.) can find fully refurbished loaders to buy. Anyone interested can start here.
I actually have a Star sizer / luber that I always thought the best sizer for a bullet caster to have
They're still available here.
another decent, but not common brand is C-H
They always had an eye for funky designs that approached problems differently from everyone else. They're still around, too, but does anybody buy their stuff for reasons other than nostalgia? I was kinda put off by their reticence, decades ago, to adopt more industry-standard fittings for dies, shell holders, etc. My memory is dim but didn't they keep using proprietary shell holders for a long, long time after others had switched?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
I have to agree with @HCS on this subject.

One book I highly recommend is The ABC's of Reloading. It can be found in many bookstores, and even Amazon, new or used. Excellent book for those new to reloading and veterans alike.

Another good source is right here on TGT! I am seeing lots of great information from the members here. Lots can be learned, and any questions you might have can be answered.
Self taught. Used this book. Not rocket science. Be sure to inspect brass and periodically check your scale

HCS

Oct 8, 2020
Llano, TX
That explains the tear in my eye.

Oddly enough, there's an active community of folks who keep the old Star machines up and running. In fact, people who really want to buy into mostly unsupported technology (That might not be fair to the current company but that's the way I see it.) can find fully refurbished loaders to buy. Anyone interested can start here.

They're still available here.

They always had an eye for funky designs that approached problems differently from everyone else. They're still around, too, but does anybody buy their stuff for reasons other than nostalgia? I was kinda put off by their reticence, decades ago, to adopt more industry-standard fittings for dies, shell holders, etc. My memory is dim but didn't they keep using proprietary shell holders for a long, long time after others had switched?
I had one of their H presses years and it used standard shell holders
their auto champs used a rail system and everyone I knew that used them had constant jamming problems, but they discontinued the Auto Champs many years ago

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
As far as progressives I've had the Star, Auto Champs, Hornady and Dillon over the years, As far as workmanship and quality nothing can touch Star. I loaded over 250,000 rounds on one and it worked as good as new when I sold it. The PD's range had several that went over 1,000,000 rounds and were working fine when replaced by an Ammoload. Auto Champ was junque, I spent more time trying to keep it going than loading. Hornady when modified was Ok. So far Dillon is doing fine. That's all from my personal experience.

When Dillon Mfg was still a dream of Mike Dillon and he was still flying airplanes for a living he made a conversion kit for the Star loader for 223. It used a custom made carbide sizing die (by RCBS if rumors are correct). I found out it was good for about 100,000 rounds before it was worn out and oversize. I also modified a primer seating punch to remove the crimp using the Star. Fun times.

Reinz

Well-Known
Sep 5, 2014
East TX
Lots of great advice here. I taught myself to reload when I was 14. Though it can be intimadating to the unlearned, it is not that hard if you pay attention.

I agree that the ABC’s of reloading is a great book. For an easy understanding of what is actually going on, the old paperback Lyman manuals have a section that is a quick and easy read. It’s cartoonish, which isn’t bad because it makes it simple to understand. Both books are readily available on eBay for less than $15 most of the time.

Even though Hollywood and Star are no longer made, parts are still availabe. They are two of my favorites. Here is a small sampling of some of mine.

0D400EBC-56C5-4206-9B29-234E468CEDED.jpeg

Black press on the left is a Hollywood Senior Turret. Black press on the far right is a Hollywood Super Turret that dwarves the Dillon 1050.

I use the Hollywood’s the most even though I own at least one of almost every Dillon made since day one.

003710A0-8317-4EFC-A661-082256B8FCD7.jpeg

Stars in 38 and 45 acp.

For me personally, I’d step over a pile of Lee presses to get to one vintage press. I’m not knocking them, just not for me, neither are Hi Points or Heritage Rough Riders.

Axxe55

Dec 15, 2019
Somewhere....In Texas!
Reloading is something I consider to be very safe as long as person pays attention and follows the safety procedures as they are written.

The reloading process is for the most part pretty basic and fairly simple. It's not brain surgery! There are some more complex steps in reloading when making your own cartridges by necking up or down, or taking extra steps in order to make very accurate ammo, but even those are not overly difficult to understand or to do once you have the basics understood and are able to do them.

Find a set of procedures for reloading, and follow them, each and every time. Pay attention to what you are doing at all times. Avoid distractions while reloading. Check, double-check, and triple-check your steps when reloading. Verify everything, and especially when doing the powder charges. Very easy to double-charge a pistol case.

As long as a person follows the safety procedures of reloading, there is nothing I know of that is unsafe, or dangerous about reloading.

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
...Just out of curiosity, my recollection is that a true NRA-compliant reloading class requires one press for every two students, minimum. It's recommended that everyone have their own press.

Did the class you attended have 6 or 7 presses available for the students to use?
Each group had one as best I recall.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads