• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    The red dot genie isn't going back in the bottle.

I run a dot on all my carry guns now. Its a great learning tool because that dot will quickly show deficiencies in your shooting that aren't as apparent with iron sights.

Shitty grip...the dot will tell you. Shitty presentation after the draw...the dot will tell you. It's a great diagnostic tool if you're honest with your own shooting.

If the battery dies...so what? The red dot itself is a gigantic iron sight and can still be used for good hits.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Guns International

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    How is Baby Pronstar doing?

He’s amazing!
    No more colic, he’s just a joy…he’s our miracle baby and we’re truly blessed.
    God takes care of His people

07caacc4358035933ca54ba35e5f4751.jpeg

885774f49d732e62fdaad5e9e8dbae68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I̶s̶n̶’̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶b̶e̶c̶a̶u̶s̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶m̶a̶c̶h̶i̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶R̶0̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶i̶n̶c̶o̶r̶p̶o̶r̶a̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶r̶o̶n̶ ̶s̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶r̶e̶m̶o̶v̶a̶b̶l̶e̶ ̶b̶a̶s̶e̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶t̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶v̶e̶r̶?̶ ̶

I should’ve read closer. Yes, the 365 is an example of a fairly proprietary solution. I haven’t checked, but I’m curious if the front sight is the same height on the non-milled slides as it is on the milled ones.
    Yes Sir. I believe the Romeo 0 was made specifically for the 365XL. HOlding my non-milled 365 up against the 365XL, they have the exact same from sight at the same height.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    He’s amazing!
    No more colic, he’s just a joy…he’s our miracle baby and we’re truly blessed.
    God takes care of His people

07caacc4358035933ca54ba35e5f4751.jpeg

885774f49d732e62fdaad5e9e8dbae68.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Awesome! He's a handsome fellow!

Glad to hear he's doing well, and thanks for the updated pictures.

And yes sir, you truly are blessed. We all should be so blessed as you and your family.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yes Sir. I believe the Romeo 0 was made specifically for the 365XL. HOlding my non-milled 365 up against the 365XL, they have the exact same from sight at the same height.

Thanks. Good to know about standard FS height could he a great differentiator. I shot an XL w/dot recently and it’s just too thin to be comfortable for me.

Shield+ is next on my list after I rebuild the gun fund.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Thanks. Good to know about standard FS height could he a great differentiator. I shot an XL w/dot recently and it’s just too thin to be comfortable for me.

Shield+ is next on my list after I rebuild the gun fund.
    Yeah, I wrestled a Hogue grip onto both of mine. Definitely feels better in the hand.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I just want to make it clear, that I don't want to deter anyone from exploring using a red dot, even on carry or self defense pistol. I simply stated my reasons for not wanting to use one.

I think that it's dependent upon the red dot used and the pistol platform that is used, and that some pistols are probably going to be more suited to using one than others.

I would advise, if a person was thinking about going this direction, to explore it in depth and to practice using one to become somewhat proficient with a pistol so equipped before actually carrying it.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    tnj,

Yes, I have a Vortex Venom mounted on a Browning Buckmark SS with a bull barrel.

Can I find the dot?

Yes, with a bit of fiddling here and there.

I really enjoying target shooting/plinking with it, but given the time it takes me to find it, I wouldn't trust myself with on my EDC.

Ah, excuse me attacking criminal/criminals, hold on whilst I find me dot...there it is, no, wait...buh bye cruel world...

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Also, I might add, that it appears more and more pistol manufacturers are offering the option of being able to mount a RD right out of the box, and I suspect that trend will continue. I think the as the trend becomes more popular, and possibly more mainstream, that the manufacturers of the RD optics may offer more compact and lighter RD optics for pistols. Which I think could be a great idea.

Personally, I'm not going to go the route of equipping and using a RD on my pistols. Simply that I'm more old-school with my pistols! But several have made some very valid points in the favor of using RD optics and contributed to this being a great discussion on the subject. Myself. I have found even those with a differing opinion to mine, to be very informative.

TxStetson

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    This whole topic reminds me of listening to all the old timers when I was a teenager talking about how them new fangled semi-auto's were going to fail when they're needed, and only a revolver should be used for home protection. Or pump shotguns instead of semi-auto when dove hunting.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    This whole topic reminds me of listening to all the old timers when I was a teenager talking about how them new fangled semi-auto's were going to fail when they're needed, and only a revolver should be used for home protection. Or pump shotguns instead of semi-auto when dove hunting.
    I'm just slow to embrace new technology. I'm still having a hard time with electric starters on motorcycles. I think it's just a fad, but we'll have to see if it actually catches on!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    It's the real deal and I think here to stay.

Red dot optics are great, but I can't practice enough to get the dot spotted 'right now'.

Of course, I'm old and bent, so there's that...

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    It’s not a new fad. Red dots have been in play for over 10 years. Same discussion on the Suarez//TSD sites way back then.

Train with what works for you. Dance with the gal ya brung.

I can shoot hogs reliably at 50 yards or more with my RDS 10mm. At 10 yards I can assure you it doesn’t slow me down.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock

Lol ain’t that the truth. Same discussions were had when red dots started showing up on AR’s.

If you don’t use a sighting system, any sighting system and go with the homie approach you’re a liberals wet dream for news stories about CHL holder killing the neighbors kids by accident.

People who make a living using handguns at close range use sights. People who point and boast roam the streets of Shitcago missing 95% of their targets.

Red dots probably aren’t needed for everyone. The offer advantages and disadvantages. Weight the differences and if it makes sense go for it.

For me the biggest advantage is seeing. My eyes suck. I can no longer make the transition from front sight to target and back quickly. Daily wear I use bifocals. That means I can’t even focus on my sights. So I either thrown my glasses down and see my front sight, but not the target clearly or see the target but not by sights clearly. The dot eliminates that. Both the target and sighting are on the same plane. I can still use the slide to index close and fast shots as the dot does nothing to eliminate that option. I can also use the window as a rough sighting system for close a d fast shooting aka COM centered in window=pull trigger. The dot does also help with longer shots.

On the cons, it will expose all the horrible, lazy crap you’ve been able to get away with as far as presentation goes because the irons can be seen sooner. This may result in hunting for the dot on the draw slowing you down. This is simply a training issue and just as you mastered being able to shoot with irons you will master the dot. It’s not a plug and play for most. You will need to dedicate training time. It can fog up (haven’t had it happen yet). The emitter can get obscured by water or even lint. The battery can die. And in some guns you’re attaching a plate to the gun abs then the optic to the plate so one more place for Murphy to bite you if you don’t use Loctite.

Dots are here to stay. Whether it’s on the AR or sidearm, they ain’t going anyplace. The designs are going to get smaller and more robust. You already have a pair of pretty shall closed emitter designs available. Guns are also going to change to better accommodate them. Like the Alien whose optic mount doesn’t reciprocate with the action. Those kinds of changes will just make things better.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom