• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TXMinuteman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Hi Y'all,

For those of you who carry a 1908 Hammerless in the .380 caliber, I was wondering about the ammo choices/preferences. When I receveived the gun, I had a Wolf spring kit installed and some new grips. The gun was built in 1911 and was originally my grandfather's. So far I've only shot Winchester round nose bullets out at the range. I've got some MagTech HP that I use when I carry. Currently, I've backordered on some Winchester Silvertip HP and some CCI/Blazer for target practice (but currently it won't be available until July or later).

This is where my question comes up. I've been told that I shouldn't use Cor Bon with this gun and I've always wondered about the feeding of any HP ammo.

So, what's the best ammo (when it's available) for both conceal carry and out at the range? I've read the Win SilverTip is okay and has pretty good expansion without too much energy for the pistol. Someone also recommended the Remmington Golden Sabre. Is there any ammo that either won't work, or I should avoid since it's too harsh for the 1908? What ammo causes feed problems.

I included a photo of my gun.
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• Colt 1908 Hammerl&#1.jpg
      Colt 1908 Hammerl&#1.jpg
      37.9 KB · Views: 423

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I hate to be the one to ask this, but why are you shooting an antique? If I'm not mistaken, the pistol may be worth some money.

As for ammo, the important thing is whether or not it will feed in your gun. (Some .380's are picky.) I looked around at some data when I was looking for a defensive load and picked Gold Dots. Corbon also rated really high. Ultimately, it's still a .380 (a short 9mm) and the lack of power is a bigger factor than the bullet.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    That is a very nice looking peice you have there, try to keep her is as good a condition you can. Like TexasJack said it is an antique, there is nothing wrong with shooting them if you want to but if it was all original i would recommend doing it very seldom. I would try magtech HP rounds but stay way from +p rounds, some of the older guns cant handle them. Again that is a very nice firearm you got.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The pistol was made for FMJ's and may not feed reliably any HP's available. In my experience the Speer Gold Dot tends to feed as well as FMJ in most guns. Cor Bon ammo tends to run hot and would not be recommended for a classic pistol like this. No matter what you choose, make sure you run at least 100 hiccup free rounds through it before carrying the gun/ammo combination.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My recommendation would be to get a Ruger LCP or Walther PK380 for $300 - 350 and put this heirloom gun away. Not only is it going to be finicky with JHP ammo, but it's got a story (family gun), and it's worth twice as much as a new replacement (probably in the $650 - 750 range).

If you decide to keep carrying it ... my recommendation would be Speer Gold Dots. They have a elongated o-give that mimics that of an FMJ which will help feeding in finicky guns.

cougartex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    My recommendation would be to get a Ruger LCP or Walther PK380 for $300 - 350 and put this heirloom gun away. Not only is it going to be finicky with JHP ammo, but it's got a story (family gun), and it's worth twice as much as a new replacement (probably in the $650 - 750 range).

If you decide to keep carrying it ... my recommendation would be Speer Gold Dots. They have a elongated o-give that mimics that of an FMJ which will help feeding in finicky guns.

I agree.

TXMinuteman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Southeast Texas
    Senior El Guapo,

Actually, I tend to agree but it is a sweet gun to carry. That said, it's an interim until I get my Glock 26. As you all can see, she's not without her blemishes. The wear tells me Gramps carried it quite a bit. However, he never discussed it when I was young. That's why I'll continue to carry it (though it won't be my primary carry). I am interested in trying the Gold Dot and the MagTechs. I've already been warned about the Cor Bon and all +P+ ammo.

TexasJack/RetArmySgt, thank you all for your comments. Yes, I'll be taking special care, but I feel it needs to be fired occasionally. That's my primary reasoning for checking to see if there was any preferred ammo for this type of gun. Next on my to do list is to get the Colt Letter to determine whether Gramps was the original owner or if he bought it later. Again, thanks!

Top Bottom