• ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I've recently started riding again.
    While I have larger bikes, I seem to spend most of my time on a dual-purpose/crossover bike cruising the logging roads and narrower blacktops of the East Texas piney woods. I rarely hit speeds above 55 mph and many miles are 20-25 mph. Sometimes I travel roads I've never been on before and I've encountered folks involved in nefarious activities (dumping, hauling contaband, etc). I also run across hogs on occassion, which caused me to question the G42 I was carrying on my hip.
    I'm exploring options in regard to weapons and mode of carry.
    I have considered a SAA style in .45 or .357, a DA revolver in .357, a Beretta 92, a G26 or 27, and. Redhawk in .454. Belt carry, chest rig, and others have crossed my mind.
    I don't want my mode of carry to be obvious, and want access, comfort, and proper firepower, all at the same time.
    Winter and summer options might vary.
    I'm open to suggestions and would love to hear your experience.
    DK Firearms

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I wear a light riding jacket with pads, even in summer. I wear a Carhartt coat and reflective vest when it is chilly. I also wear a helmet (different styles depending on the anticipated level of the ride) and leather gloves.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    uLrJDrF.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wear a light riding jacket with pads, even in summer. I wear a Carhartt coat and reflective vest when it is chilly. I also wear a helmet (different styles depending on the anticipated level of the ride) and leather gloves.

I’d think along the lines of a J frame 357 or 9mm pocket pistol with a laser in a jacket pocket. Problem is if you wear gloves, you gotta get a gloved finger in the trigger guard, so think about that. Spare speedloaders/mags in the other jacket pocket.

That buys you time to make distance on the bike if needed. If you’ve got bags on the bike, an AR pistol is never a bad option once you’ve created a defensible position.

txhawg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Comfort - OWB

A riding jacket should cover it if it's not too big. I find my Kimber K6S is a good riding companion. May not kill a hog, but the noise alone from a 357 snub should be enough to scare sasquatch off.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Comfort - OWB

That’s how I normally carry on the bike, but wearing a 3/4 length rally jacket it’s a well concealed royal pain in the ass to access. Shoulder hoster is even worse having to fight through two layers of closures (velcro then zipper) to gain access.

As I think more on this (I ride a MultiStrada) if quick and easy access is the priority, I’d say fûck it all and go with a drop holster and duty pistol that’s got plenty of room in the trigger guard.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    A wounded, 100lb pig took five 45ACP slugs to the skull at 10' before giving it up.
    I couldn't believe it.

I now carry a 4" 44mag.

I've seen riders use a chest rig before, but not in a trail environment. A shoulder rig my cause some movement limitations in slow, technical stuff. I would also be concerned about a rib injury in case of a hard fall.

One guy I know, roams his spread near Possum Kingdom on a V-Strom 650 with a .357 Rossi 92 in a scabbard strapped to the engine cage. It's an awesome rig.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Maybe the only activity on earth where a lefthander has advantage over a right hander - to draw, aim, & fire a handgun while riding a motorcycle. When I rode, I carried an S&W 66 OWB but I like the previously suggested idea of shoulder holster better..

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try a variety of things using what I already have until I find a combination that works and with which I feel comfortable.
    I'll keep you posted on progress. Meanwhile feel free to continue with suggestions.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I used to carry mine in a tank bag with a quick access pocket with a Velcro closure.

I found I could get to it much faster than I could when holstered anywhere on my body under layers of clothing.

The fly in the ointment to that method is if you get separated from the bike before you can grab the pistol.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to carry mine in a tank bag with a quick access pocket with a Velcro closure.

I found I could get to it much faster than I could when holstered anywhere on my body under layers of clothing.

The fly in the ointment to that method is if you get separated from the bike before you can grab the pistol.

Good idea.

Also if you want to go into a store, unless it is in a holster you can utilize on your person after the fact, it could be an issue.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try a variety of things using what I already have until I find a combination that works and with which I feel comfortable.
    I'll keep you posted on progress. Meanwhile feel free to continue with suggestions.

I know I sound like a broken record. If you wear gloves, take the time to experiment with the draw and dry firing with gloves on and then with gloves and helmet on. And then with gloves and helmet while on the bike.

Top Bottom