• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Mazda CX-5. Wife has a 2016 w/o any issues and we compared to the CRV back then which would have been our 2nd option but comfort and price beat Honda. I've owned a lot of Mazdas and wouldn't hesitate buying another if needed.
    Just know a Mazda CX 5 is a Ford Escape with a different radio

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    My wife loves her Subaru Forester Touring. It has a really nice saddle leather interior.
    I prefer the non-turbo engine, and feel there will be increased longevity as a result.
    I still remember that last turbo revolution during the 1980’s. Very few turbo designs are well executed.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    We went from a 98 Honda CRV to a 2015 Mazda CX5. I realize there are 17 years worth of technological improvements there, but wow, what a world of difference in ride, handling, road noise, power, and acceleration. And the CX5 gets better gas mileage to boot.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm kinda in same boat as OP except I need a 3rd row. I'm leaning towards a CX9 or Pilot. I prefer Mazda but will probably go with Honda since the Mazda dealership is 30 miles away.

Hey OP is the Passport too large? It's a Pilot with a shortened rear end

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My wife drove a 2010 Hyndai Santa FE to165K miles. She finally traded in it about 2 years ago. Very Reliable and comfortable.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    . . .

Hey OP is the Passport too large? It's a Pilot with a shortened rear end

I’m not sure. I need to sit in one to be sure.

My wife is a saint and is very easy to please on most things. But she’s very picky about the size of vehicle she wants to drive. She loves the size and height of her current RAV4. I have a feeling the Passport is somewhat larger, taller and longer than that.

Same thing with the Hyundai Santa Fe. It’s a 2-row SUV, but a little bigger than the RAV4, CRV, etc.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My wife drove a 2010 Hyndai Santa FE to165K miles. She finally traded in it about 2 years ago. Very Reliable and comfortable.
    We loved our 2010 Santa Fe - til we got rear-ended at a stoplight by another car moving at 55mph. BTW, no injuries in our car.

CPTKILLER

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Gatesville, TX
    While not technically an SUV, I have a Jeep Gladiator with a Max Tow Package. It is reliable, tough, and practical. I replaced the front bumper with a HD bumper a winch. It is excellent for my purposes.

AR1911

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Wife trades cars about every 2 years. Since 2010 she has had
    Lincoln MKX
    Lincoln MKS
    BMW X1
    Lincoln MKS Hybrid
    Lincoln MKC

The BMW had awful technology.
    The Hybrid was the best IMO, in every respect except it was a car, not an SUV. We like the high seating/visibility of an SUV. And the Lincoln had touch sliders where it should have had knobs.

Wednesday she took delivery of a Tesla Model Y, which is their small SUV based on the Model 3 chassis.

Without a doubt the best car yet.

Checks all the boxes, with room to spare.
    Scary fast when you need or want it.
    Fun to drive, roomy etc.
    One-pedal driving is pretty cool. Full Self Driving is amazing, but we have a trust curve to work up to.
    Of course, it's all touchscreen except for a couple of stalks and steering wheel buttons. My wife struggled with that at first, getting irritated because she could not speed up the wipers etc.
    The answer: voice control, which is excellent.
    Press a button on the wheel with your thumb, say "Speed up wipers" Done.
    say "play baby shark" (granddaughter request). Done. All the way to Razzoos
    So far voice command works for almost everything where we would normally press a button or twist a knob.
    120V charging may be OK most of the time. We are both retired.

So now I'm trying to justify buying another one to replace my Shelby Mustang. But I need a truck, so I'm on that waiting list.

You wife needs to test drive the model Y. Seriously,

ktaylor966

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2020
    DFW
    I’m looking to replace my wife’s 2011 Toyota RAV4 with something new that‘s about the same size. The contenders seem to be the RAV4, Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, Mazda CX-5, Hyundai Santa Fe, etc. I’d be interested in thoughts, opinions and recommendations from anyone who owns one or has seat time in one or more of them.

Here are her priorities:

Reliability
    Rear and side visibility for driver
    Ease of controls - I.e., knobs and buttons, NOT joysticks and touchscreens
    Comfort
    Ride quality
    Acceleration/power (for passing/freeway on-ramps, etc.)

Price isn’t all that important.
    I just purchased a new 2020 Acura RDX AWD with tech package and I love it!

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Wife trades cars about every 2 years. Since 2010 she has had
    Lincoln MKX
    Lincoln MKS
    BMW X1
    Lincoln MKS Hybrid
    Lincoln MKC

The BMW had awful technology.
    The Hybrid was the best IMO, in every respect except it was a car, not an SUV. We like the high seating/visibility of an SUV. And the Lincoln had touch sliders where it should have had knobs.

Wednesday she took delivery of a Tesla Model Y, which is their small SUV based on the Model 3 chassis.

Without a doubt the best car yet.

Checks all the boxes, with room to spare.
    Scary fast when you need or want it.
    Fun to drive, roomy etc.
    One-pedal driving is pretty cool. Full Self Driving is amazing, but we have a trust curve to work up to.
    Of course, it's all touchscreen except for a couple of stalks and steering wheel buttons. My wife struggled with that at first, getting irritated because she could not speed up the wipers etc.
    The answer: voice control, which is excellent.
    Press a button on the wheel with your thumb, say "Speed up wipers" Done.
    say "play baby shark" (granddaughter request). Done. All the way to Razzoos
    So far voice command works for almost everything where we would normally press a button or twist a knob.
    120V charging may be OK most of the time. We are both retired.

So now I'm trying to justify buying another one to replace my Shelby Mustang. But I need a truck, so I'm on that waiting list.

You wife needs to test drive the model Y. Seriously,
    My California brother has one. Tough to charge with the power going out all the time. When there are fires he takes the Expedition. I have a bet that over a 400 mile course I would beat him driving a Yugo. Pass him at a recharging station.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My daughter has the Subaru Outback and loves it. Lots of power, great on the highway, decent mileage and comfy.

UKDSlayer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2020
    Have her do a test drive with the Mazda CX5. It honestly has a far superior ride & acceleration over the Toyota, Subaru and Honda - suspension much closer to true luxury vehicle and surprisingly has the same or better safety features as the Subaru like auto braking, side & rear warnings. Short warranty, longevity, and depreciation are concerns.

Top Bottom