• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I too am of the "handle as many as you can" strategy. My rationale is: any newb who buys a gun they do not really like is unlikely to handle it, which means they are unlikely to practice safe handling or safe shooting. So the gun is basically waiting to be stolen or to ND somebody. Go to a gun show and look and handle everything, then go to a range and borrow or rent what you liked.

Kind of like finding a mate: If you like the way she (in my case) looks, like the way she feels, and like the way she performs...then take her home for life, buy her a nice holster to wear, take her out once a week or more, and keep stroking her with that trigger finger.
    Target Sports

nairb2580

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    For open carry I would go with a G17, G19, or Canik. But as others have said, it would be better for him to try a few out and see what he likes.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Fletcherjl

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    Since we moved to Texas over the summer I am no longer an ltc instructor. These are simply observations.

I have never seen a new shooter operate a revolver well.

Da/sa is not for new shooters. I saw this in the army. New shooters and da/ sa do not need to hang out.

Sao is fine with the consistent trigger pull but new shooter are unlikely to handle 1911 level maintenance.

Being a new shooter is going to require the same box of holsters as we all bought when we first got our LTC.

This brings us to holster availability and leads us to the Glock or sig 365 series. Once the carry position and holster are determined then other options open up based on that holster.

Accessory availability aside I would recommend the HK vp9. It has everything in the box to make it fit a person's hand. It's biggest downside is the lack of readily available holsters.

long_tall_texan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    DFW
    Since we moved to Texas over the summer I am no longer an ltc instructor. These are simply observations.

Da/sa is not for new shooters. I saw this in the army. New shooters and da/ sa do not need to hang out.

Sao is fine with the consistent trigger pull but new shooter are unlikely to handle 1911 level maintenance.

Being a new shooter is going to require the same box of holsters as we all bought when we first got our LTC.

This brings us to holster availability and leads us to the Glock or sig 365 series. Once the carry position and holster are determined then other options open up based on that holster.

Accessory availability aside I would recommend the HK vp9. It has everything in the box to make it fit a person's hand. It's biggest downside is the lack of readily available holsters.
    Great advice here!

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Take a safety class then go to a Range that rents/loans pistols and try several under supervision. Practice UNLOADED until comfortable with all features then get trained on THAT firearm. Practice every month minimum and train once a year minimum until confident, proficient and comfortable

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    I like the Glock 19. It is the can’t really miss answer. Priced reasonably, widely available, good availability of accessories, holsters and magazines.

Also can’t emphasize training enough. You need instruction and you need practice.

And if you plan on open carrying, please get a holster with active retention. I like Safariland ALS, but there are lots of options - just avoid the Serpa IMO.

Lots of stories like this one:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    And if you plan on open carrying, please get a holster with active retention. I like Safariland ALS, but there are lots of options - just avoid the Serpa IMO.

Lots of stories like this one:

Great points, but unfortunately most I've seen OC'ing usually seem to either cheap out on holsters or buy one for its aesthetics. Not OC'ing would be a better option in that case. Most of the leading instructors in the industry don't have a fond outlook on it anyways as it has distinct disadvantages.

flgfish

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2020
    The Woodlands
    Great points, but unfortunately most I've seen OC'ing usually seem to either cheap out on holsters or buy one for its aesthetics. Not OC'ing would be a better option in that case. Most of the leading instructors in the industry don't have a fond outlook on it anyways as it has distinct disadvantages.
    100% agree. I cringe inside every time I see it. I imagine some lowlife taking it away from them and beating them with it. It makes you a target. And you also get the bonus opportunity to deal with every Karen and opinionated douchebag you run across.

I carry concealed all the time, unless I am at a range, in a class, or wearing my plate carrier because of the end of the world. Haven’t had to do the last one yet.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

Unless we are talking about a crazy heavy DA pull, DA/SA is every bit as easy to master as SAO. The key, as is the case with any firearm is good instruction and good practice

I would not look to the military for good handgun instruction, case in point;
    img_7911.jpg

A new shooter with either no, or bad instruction is going to perform poorly with any gun you give them. No one just picks up a gun for the first time and makes one ragged hole.

The vp9 is a good gun, but is rather complex, and magazines and spare parts are not cheap

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

No bias there.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    Let me add my two cents.
    Find a firearm that is in the price range that fits your budget.
    Find a firearm that feels comfortable in your hand so recoil will not be a problem.
    When you find something you like, research it on the internet.
    Something that works great for me may not be good for you. There is a vast market of firearms out there. Search wisely.
    In the end it is you that needs to be happy with whatever you buy, not strangers here on this website.
    Good Luck.

Top Bottom