• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IT4me

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    By the River, under a tree
    Am going to be spending a lot of time in the Abilene / Amarillo area this winter. need suggestions for a CCW friendly warm nice looking coat, one that would cover a owb holster, etc. depending on how I carry that day. Not really interested in pocket carry.

What do you like/wear? open to suggestions
    ARJ Defense ad

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Pretty much what Byrd666 says. If you want to get in the weeds, then you might want to consider attributes like stiffness and weighted hems for easy garment clearing, but practice will always be the most important thing.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    There are some specialty types with hidden openings with velcro, for example, for easy access to the weapon.
    Not sure if you can find one heavy enough for your liking, though.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    If you layer make sure your body layer is ccw friendly too.

The simplest thing is to wear something as close to a normal cover garment as possible.

I wear a simple flannel lined shirt type coat. A size too big and long. If it's really cold, very rarely, I throw on an outer jacket that's also too big. I might look funny but the flannel is always hanging out to be grabbed and lifted in the rare even I zip. Just like my regular cover shirts.

You dress around your gun to properly conceal it not the other way around. I'm not a big fan of changing the way you carry for obvious reasons although I do drop the gun in a big pocket with my hand on it for deposits in the wintertime at times. Same jacket.

I rarely zip up either.

Not a fan of the duty jackets with holes or zippers as those are too complicated. Tried various kinds for duty and was never comfortable with access so always wore the very short jackets. I think they would be doubly complicated drawing from concealed thru such contraptions especially without lots of reps from standing and sitting.

ETA very cold winter outdoors is one of the rare times I open carry. Sometimes you just cant easily ccw and sometimes you dont have to. But around pod people sheep types you do and its best to keep it simple.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I bought a Berne coat that was made for conceal carry a few years back. It's a well made coat. Very tough work coat (think Carrharrt), and stupidly warm. I swear, that thing could keep you warm in a freezer. My only complaints are that it's a little bulky, and kinda heavy. It has a couple of rip open pockets on the front that are designed to carry a gun. They have loops in them so you can attach things like pouches and holsters. You can sort of but not really fit a full sized 1911 in them if it's loose. I prefer to carry on my waist, so I seldom used them.

It was $80 when I bought it a few years ago, but they've gone up since then.

Amazon product ASIN B0159UF7YO
    It's probably heavier than you need. I feel like this thing was made for Northern Winters, not Texas ones. Still, it's a nice coat regardless.

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    That looks interesting, will check it out,
    Thanks
    Where did you ever het the idea it was cold in west Texas during the winter? Walking shorts and an aloha shirt are the uniform of the season.....cap optional.

IT4me

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2019
    By the River, under a tree
    "Where did you ever het the idea it was cold in west Texas during the winter? Walking shorts and an aloha shirt are the uniform of the season.....cap optional. "

I'm a whimp, only good to 45F, then I try to look like the locals and wear long pants with my coat. Above 45, ita a coat and shorts :)

Top Bottom