• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CombatM3D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    Fort Worth
    Well,

Here it is a few weeks after I got out of the Army and still looking for a job. I've literally sent my resume to every single place that I could think of, and nothing yet. Very few places even have the courtesy to send a reply or call to say they are not interested. I was a 68W (Combat Medic) and detailed as a 79R (Recruiter).

I would appreciate any advice that you may have, or if you know some areas that would be hiring. I live in the western portion of Fort Worth, if that is of any assistance.
    ARJ Defense ad

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I don't have much advise for you, even though I have been there. Sometimes these things just take time. You can always go on unemployment to help out. I know most of us are against government handouts, but for a service man getting out to start a new career I see no problem with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Are you willing to take a job, or do you want a career.

PM me if you aren't picky and I can give you more details and do some checking.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Keep sending that resume. Jobs are definitely out there, just need to find the right one that matches your skills.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Went through that myself when I was discharged way back when. Ended up just taking a gas station job 'til I could find better.

What are you looking for? Med field? Oil field? Engineering or Architecture?

CombatM3D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    Fort Worth
    Honestly at this point I will pretty much take a job that will keep the bills paid.
    I want to focus on a career, I was thinking about entering the police academy or nursing school and using my post-9/11 GI Bill.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Try out for the cops first.

Let me do a bit of looking. Pm me with pertinents and we'll go from there.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Look to city/state/county jobs. Just google the ones close to you. They post open positions on line with a list of the requirements. Seems like from the experience you list you would qualify for a good number of jobs if you're willing to take something you might consider under your status.

Have you considered a head-hunter?

CombatM3D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    Fort Worth
    Wow,

I can honestly say I didn't expect the level of contact everyone has provided to me.

It means more to me that I can begin to describe. Thank you so much.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    First and foremost thank you for your service! !!!!
    I just scored a new job. I did like the gangsters with my applications
    Spray and pray. I put them every where. Finally found a good one.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    With a career in mind, it is possible with no one's help. In your same boat, I used the GI Bill and part time work in retail--there is always that kind of low pay work especially if you will work the late 5-9 hours. I had a cheap apartment, used public transportation, and in three years had my accounting degree. If I can do it, anyone can. Just don't expect your army experience to get you any breaks, and your expectations will not produce disappointment. I found that either employers didn't care at all or considered military experience a negative. These days if you are not one of the favored minority groups, you are on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Honestly at this point I will pretty much take a job that will keep the bills paid.
    I want to focus on a career, I was thinking about entering the police academy or nursing school and using my post-9/11 GI Bill.

Use the GI Bill, you get BAH and school paid for, also if you enlisted in Texas you get the Hazzlewood Act which also pays for school. If you still want to do the medical thing it will cover lots of schools, also there are many other programs. I would recommend talking to a Counselor at the school of your choice.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well,

Here it is a few weeks after I got out of the Army and still looking for a job. I've literally sent my resume to every single place that I could think of, and nothing yet. Very few places even have the courtesy to send a reply or call to say they are not interested. I was a 68W (Combat Medic) and detailed as a 79R (Recruiter).

I would appreciate any advice that you may have, or if you know some areas that would be hiring. I live in the western portion of Fort Worth, if that is of any assistance.
    WHAT do you want to do?

With your Medic background you can have a lot of options to get into the medical side of things...

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    don't expect your army experience to get you any breaks, and your expectations will not produce disappointment. I found that either employers didn't care at all or considered military experience a negative.

That's a shame. I have been in a position to recruit and hire for many years, and I give preference to former military. Most of my colleagues do, as well.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    With a career in mind, it is possible with no one's help. In your same boat, I used the GI Bill and part time work in retail--there is always that kind of low pay work especially if you will work the late 5-9 hours. I had a cheap apartment, used public transportation, and in three years had my accounting degree. If I can do it, anyone can. Just don't expect your army experience to get you any breaks, and your expectations will not produce disappointment. I found that either employers didn't care at all or considered military experience a negative. These days if you are not one of the favored minority groups, you are on your own.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"IT, what in the hell do you know about IT? You Army guys just ride around on tanks and campout all the time!" Major Corp recruiter 1999 to me in my first interview.

The one area of the country that I know of that you can run around with a ball cap that says US Army Vietnam etc etc etc and have people pay for your meal in a restaurant is here in the San Antonio area, but its because there are so many military retirees here.

I think the San Antonio police is hiring and they have the best pay and retirement package of any LEOrg in the US according to the city.

Top Bottom