• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    I just retired from the military 5 months ago. I have my DD214 and a 7 year old small arms (pistol and rifle) training qualification.

After reading the DPS' LTC website, do I have the process right for me (TX resident/TX drivers license; retired less than 1 year with less than 10 year old proof of military range training):

1. Take an LTC online or in person course (range portion not required given my recent mil training form) to get the LTC certificate.
    2. Apply for a LTC via DPS website:
    - submit LTC certificate
    - submit less than 1 year old DD214 (therefore LTC application fee is waived)
    - submit less than 10 year old military range training form (therefore, no range training is required)
    - get my application number for Fingerprinting
    3. Get printed (pay there?).
    4. Wait for the LTC to arrive in the mail.

Do I have this right? About how long will it take?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Sounds about right, but it’s been a decade+ since I did mine using military quals. Pretty sure you need a TX DL number first; that should be on the paper copy if you don’t already have a valid TX DL.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    Yup...got the TX DL a month ago. I guess that's how they get my pic for the LTC.

Do I pay for the fingerprint on the DPS website, or at the fingerprinting vendor location?

I heard online course certificates have a place for a licensed TX LTC instructor to sign off on the range portion. Will a TX LTC instructor sign off based on my mil range qual sheet if I ask them (afterall, Im not purchasing training from them), or do I just submit the training certifcate with the mil range qual sheet and no signature to the DPS website?

Last edited:

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    I went to a place called identigo to do my fingerprints for my chl. I don’t think you can do it from dps website but I could be wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    And I payed at the place that did the finger prints. Sorry can’t help with the other stuff

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    If I remember right, you make the appointment for fingerprints through the DPS website, then pay at the place you get them at.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    IdentGo did the fingerprinting and also collected the money.

Same fingerprint process with IdentGo for CHL and TSA Pre-Check…you pay IdentGo when they take your prints

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    If you are still working on this, and live in SATX, recommend you call Lonestar Handgun Range. They will tell you everything you need.
    That's what I ended up doing.

Anybody know what method results in the quickest LTC: upload documents to the DPS website or mail them in?

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >
    The only thing I could add is that the DPS can be extremely particular re fingerprints. I once had to return to Texas from out-of-state just to get prints done in Houston.

I tried several others, but they were rejected by DPS.

My advice is to just ask them where you should go for your fingerprint card.

Thank you for your service to our Nation !

leVieux

Last edited:
    Top Bottom