• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Has your endocrinologist given you a time frame for removing meds?

Mine has told me that if I stay at or under 5.7 for 18 months, it will be time to start reducing dosages with the final goal being getting rid of them all.

Well, one of my endos. They seem to have a flow of new doctors in that clinic every time I go in. :)
    I am off the 2/3 times daily Humolog w meals. I am cutting back the nightly tresiba from 40 to 36. I think I started out on the tresiba at about 60. I am reducing. Next time I go she wants to see if she can lower again. Tried metformin could not take it really dont want to take it.
    Texas SOT

schmellba99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Houston & San Antonio
    >

I’d also caution that most producer’s claims of ”healthy’ are abject nonsense.

I don’t have any info on this specific outfit.

What ever happened to “finishing” beef cattle on a month of corn ?

leVieux
    It's still done.

All cattle is grass fed, until it gets to the yard and is finished on grain and corn before slaughter. And it tastes far better that way. "Grass fed" is generally a marketing scheme, much like "organic".

There is a place in Texas that raises Iberico pigs the traditional Spanish way - up to and including finishing them on acorns and slaughtering them in the traditional Iberian way. It's damn good too.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It's still done.

All cattle is grass fed, until it gets to the yard and is finished on grain and corn before slaughter. And it tastes far better that way. "Grass fed" is generally a marketing scheme, much like "organic".

Incorrect.

When cattle are fed grain and protein it changes the chemical composition of the meat. The meat goes from being a healthy Omega 3 rich food, to a much different food, that is rich in bad cholesterol and fat.

My buddy read about grass fed beef and bought a half side of grass fed beef. He ate only grass fed beef for 6 months to see what would happen. At the end of the 6 months his bad cholesterol dropped 50 points. Eating the grass fed beef was his only dietary change.

There is a reason all that bad fat tastes so good. But its bad for you, as evidenced by so many having heart attacks and strokes, usually as a result of increases in bad cholesterol levels.

I made the switch about 10 years ago with similar results. It takes some getting used to the flavor difference. Because that bad fat tastes awesome! Also due to less fat in the meat, you have to adjust the way you cook it. I tend to cook it a little more towards rare, and generally with a bit of olive oil in the skillet.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    So many experts on "good for you-bad for you". As the mowing guy says, good this year bad next. My choice for meat is Market Street followed by Sam's Club. I guess the so called "bad" meat is otherwise known as prime. I love prime.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    "There is a place in Texas that raises Iberico pigs the traditional Spanish way - up to and including finishing them on acorns and slaughtering them in the traditional Iberian way."

Where, please?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    "There is a place in Texas that raises Iberico pigs the traditional Spanish way - up to and including finishing them on acorns and slaughtering them in the traditional Iberian way."

Where, please?
    Funny me & my chef buddy discussed doing this. I figured curing the hams wouldn't be the same for the bacteria there, couldn't be reproduced here.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My buddy read about grass fed beef and bought a half side of grass fed beef. He ate only grass fed beef for 6 months to see what would happen. At the end of the 6 months his bad cholesterol dropped 50 points. Eating the grass fed beef was his only dietary change.
    Everybody is a little different. I drastically cut my cholesterol by cutting out breads, cereals, and deserts. All the while increasing how much I ate of the bad stuff like cheap ribeyes, bacon, and eggs.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble

Where, please?
    Do a search for Iberico pigs. It shows the website, places to buy and some prices.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Do a search for Iberico pigs. It shows the website, places to buy and some prices.
    <>

IMHO, « Puerco Iberico » is massively over-rated.

Our Texas feral hog is much better.

i’ve eaten quite a bit of both.

Even in Spain.

Just like WHY is an Omaha or Chicago steak considered better than one from the South ? Advertising, that’s all.

Buy local !

leVieux

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    These are dang good.

EB5438FD-F75F-4E30-A4F5-3B1030E6DF9B.jpeg

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I cut meat for lots of years. I seen some things I wish I hadn't, tumors being the worse. Seen bloodshot & bruises. Once seen something so bruised all I could think was sever abuse.

Then there are some peeps treat game meat.

Seen Asian markets in Houston on par with street meat markets in third world. Funny how they are the ones with better teeth & smiling the most.

Lots of case where I seen people who can't cut meat or seem to be trained.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

You hit on one of my discoveries.

We had a beach house on Galveston Island for years. The SaltGrass on the Island is wonderful.

Much better than those in Beaumont, Lafayette, or Austin.

WHY ?, we asked ?

Simple: It is the one where Tillman Fertitta eats regularly !

O/W, we much prefer ‘’Texas Roadhouse’’ for steaks.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    <>

IMHO, « Puerco Iberico » is massively over-rated.

Our Texas feral hog is much better.

i’ve eaten quite a bit of both.

Even in Spain.

Just like WHY is an Omaha or Chicago steak considered better than one from the South ? Advertising, that’s all.

Buy local !

leVieux
    becuase some companies built their business model on delivery sstraight to the customer!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    <>

You hit on one of my discoveries.

We had a beach house on Galveston Island for years. The SaltGrass on the Island is wonderful.

Much better than those in Beaumont, Lafayette, or Austin.

WHY ?, we asked ?

Simple: It is the one where Tillman Fertitta eats regularly !

O/W, we much prefer ‘’Texas Roadhouse’’ for steaks.

leVieux

As a rule, Saltgrass gets better cuts of meat. Better than Texas Roadhouse.

There are grades of meat. Once went to a 5 star steakhouse and spoke with a manager. He came to our table due to my host being a weekly customer.

I asked about another steakhouse. He told us they owned it. And they sent them the meat they didn’t seem suitable for their restaurant. “It’s good, but it’s not 5 Star good. But it’s fine for that establishment.”

Guy gave us a real education on steaks that night.

Every time I’ve eaten at that place it’s easy to see why they are 5 star.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom