• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I'm looking to upgrade from using the Lee trimmers and deburring/chamfer tool to the RCBS Trim Pro 2. I also like the idea of the 3-way cutter head that you can buy separately.

They sell the 3-way cutter in specific calibers, and then you can buy cutter pilots separately. I believe I only need 1 cutter head, picking one of the calibers I have, and then just need the pilots for every other caliber. Can anyone confirm this? It doesn't seem like they sell the cutter without a pilot. I just want to make sure the only difference between calibers is switching out the pilot.

For example, here is the head for 6.5mm: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012937128?pid=555060

And here is the .22 caliber pilot: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012952618?pid=857812

Thanks!
    Gun Zone Deals

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The Trim Pro 2 comes with everything to trim almost any caliber. Universal shell holder and pilots as well as cutter head are included.

The trimmed cases still need to be chamfered inside and out.

The upgrade to the three way cutter head does that while they are trimmed.

I believe the upgraded pilot only trims and chamfers the inside but the outside needs to be chamfered separately but can't say for sure.

It's a good system especially with the 3 way cutter but it's slow. I had one years ago but probably wouldn't go that route again.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Personally I am looking to go with the Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Case Prep and Trim Center

for about half the price. It is universal too and only trims but the chamfering tools are motorized as well.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    The Trim Pro 2 comes with everything to trim almost any caliber. Universal shell holder and pilots as well as cutter head are included.

The trimmed cases still need to be chamfered inside and out.

The upgrade to the three way cutter head does that while they are trimmed.

I believe the upgraded pilot only trims and chamfers the inside but the outside needs to be chamfered separately but can't say for sure.

It's a good system especially with the 3 way cutter but it's slow. I had one years ago but probably wouldn't go that route again.

Right, yes I’m familiar with the main features, just curious specifically about the 3 way cutter pilot setup. I like that it trims, chamfers, and deburrs I’m one step. Why do you say it’s slow? Just because it’s a manual trimmer?

I have looked into the Frankford Arsenal setup too, but not sure I want to go the motorized route and I also am unsure about the upkeep with trimmings, as they seem to just get all over that tool from what I’ve seen. It’s definitely a sweet machine though.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Right, yes I’m familiar with the main features, just curious specifically about the 3 way cutter pilot setup. I like that it trims, chamfers, and deburrs I’m one step. Why do you say it’s slow? Just because it’s a manual trimmer?

I have looked into the Frankford Arsenal setup too, but not sure I want to go the motorized route and I also am unsure about the upkeep with trimmings, as they seem to just get all over that tool from what I’ve seen. It’s definitely a sweet machine though.
    When I looked it up I checked out the motorized unit and thought that's what you were looking at for some reason. That's where the price comparison came in too.

My bad.

The manual version isn't any slower than any other manual trimmer.

Guess it never dawned on me to use the 3 way cutter on the manual trimmer. It may be hard to turn with that much surface area contact but you could always take the handle off and chuck a drill on there.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    When I looked it up I checked out the motorized unit and thought that's what you were looking at for some reason. That's where the price comparison came in too.

My bad.

The manual version isn't any slower than any other manual trimmer.

Guess it never dawned on me to use the 3 way cutter on the manual trimmer. It may be hard to turn with that much surface area contact but you could always take the handle off and chuck a drill on there.

Ohh haha, then yes I understand your price comparison. Yeah that RCBS powered trimmer is a bit pricey and definitely seems to run slow.

I’ve seen a few videos of the 3 way cutter with the manual and it doesn’t appear to cause much of an issue with turning. If I go with this route, I’ll definitely report back with feedback on that. I might also try the drill setup at some point.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I bought a trim pro2 with 223 & 308 cutters and all the pilots(a set?)to trim 308.

I use a giraud triway for 223 currently and will pick one up for 308.

The triway does it all in one pass and is adjustable to your liking. If he makes one for the caliber you want I would consider it.
    Maybe consider getting the big machine with the caliber inserts or however it works.

Currently I'm using my trimpro to clean up some 38/357 brass, I think.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    I bought a trim pro2 with 223 & 308 cutters and all the pilots(a set?)to trim 308.

I use a giraud triway for 223 currently and will pick one up for 308.

The triway does it all in one pass and is adjustable to your liking. If he makes one for the caliber you want I would consider it.
    Maybe consider getting the big machine with the caliber inserts or however it works.

Currently I'm using my trimpro to clean up some 38/357 brass, I think.

Yeah it seems like a good system, but I’m not willing to fork out that much for each caliber. I think the Trim Pro 2 will work well for what I’m seeking. For anyone interested, I also confirmed that you just need the 3 way cutter (about $55 on average) for one caliber, and then you can buy the 3 way cutter pilots for all subsequent that you need (only $10). There is also a nifty power adapter (for a drill) that DACaM makes for the Trim Pro, only $10. You just simply take off the handle and put the adapter in it’s place.

I just ordered the Trim Pro 2 and 3 way cutter for 6.5 Creedmoor, so I’ll report back with my initial thoughts and results.

Rathmatik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2019
    Dallas
    So, here's an interesting turn of events. After more research/thought, I decided to get the Lyman Case Prep Xpress. It seems to be the best case prep center in terms of total value vs. cost. I like how easy it is to clean and contain the shavings, and it comes with ALL the heads you need. Plus it's WAY quieter than the RCBS/FA centers. I was able to get one for $130 from Cabela's, and so far it's great.

Now, here's the cool part (at least I think so). Lee has an adapter for their trim cutters that allows you to screw it into any of the case prep centers. So, now I can attach Lee trimmers to the Lyman case prep center and literally do all the things at once (including primer pocket cleaning, swaging when needed, and uniforming). If anyone is interested in this setup, I can attest that it seems to work really well!

Top Bottom