• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Spent Sunday morning checking over everything and trying to get my nerve up for the maiden. My son offered words of encouragement, "you're gonna crash it"....

Still, I persisted. Got to the runway, checked all the control surfaces one last time, fired up the engine and rechecked the mixtures. Ok, ready to go. Line it up on the runway, steadily increase throttle, plane veers left in the the grass. Damn wheel came off. Shit.

Ran in the house and grabbed a couple tools and put the wheel back on, started the engine and try again.

Forgot to put my modified camera hat back on so I missed the takeoff, but I did fly one handed while I put it on and started recording. Landing is at 7:20 if you get bored.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All the beeping at the beginning is trim adjustments.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's what I thought when the wheel came off. Pretty happy with my dead stick landing though.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Flys good. Feels good to make something with your hands and see it work. One reason I spent my life building things instead of drafting.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I just spent a a nice chunk of change on Magic: The Gathering cards, but building a plane is on the list of things since I have a quite a few quads now. Ideally, I get around to it by September. I need to get some wood equipment though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Razor saw, sanding block, Xacto knife.

Pretty much covers the necessities.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tip on the sanding block, you don't want the soft "sponge" kind. It needs to be solid. You can get by with a softer block in some areas but in others it will make the job more difficult or sand where you don't want to.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Went back to working on the GP PT-20. Modified the washout jigs to fit since they are made too small, then made then shorter to fit the dihedral angle I chose.

2f145e67150cfcc0b21c33e8b0d2e34a.jpg

You can see the jig at the bottom of the picture, binder clips on each side.

The jigs hold the trailing edge wing tips higher so when you press down at the center of the trailing edge it twists the wing. Give it more predictable stall characteristics by making the center of the wing stall first. Balsa sheeting on the wing holds the angle.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Cut the sheeting for the top and bottom leading edge and got it glued in. Rough sanded along the forward spar and leading edge with 120 grit sandpaper to get the joints smooth. . Will go back over it with some 220 once everything is done. Still have more sheeting to do.

347bb98a1c553c8fc56b3ddbdb7106e4.jpg

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Decided to turn build a float plane out of it. Just finished cutting the fuse and building in plywood mounts, got 1/2X1/16" aluminum flat stock bent for the float mounts.

Will probably start covering the control surfaces and the wing this evening and have the plane done this weekend. Gonna fiberglass the floats. Hope to have them glassed and painted next weekend.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Have you ever done fiberglass? If not, get extra and practice a little. Getting the mix right can be a little tricky so it doesn't dry to fast or fail to dry at all. Not real hard, just a PITA sometimes. Even if it isn't perfect, gel-coat over it helps a lot and is a little easier.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've got some 1:1 mix finishing resin made for glassing models. Shouldn't give much trouble with the mix. The main issue I've read is getting too much of one will cause it to not harden properly.

Idea for models is to put it on as thin as possible, just enough to fill the weave of the fiberglass, then sand off any excess. Using .75oz cloth.

Also seen that some brush it on to the surface, then lay the cloth over it and drag it with a credit card to press the resin through the cloth. Then go over it with toilet paper and remove any excess. Primer and sand for a smooth finish.

I got extra though, so I'll see what works.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Old thread but I just read through it and watched the flight video. This was neat to read. How'd your fiberglass work turn out?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Fiberglass turned out great. Never got the plane flying though. It's sitting on a bench in the way of my reloading press right now.

Top Bottom