• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Tuesday my Uverse TV and internet went out. I did all the usual restart, reboot, reset, unplug-replug every wire and connector. All I had was the power light. Worked on it for 90 minutes. Called service and spent another 90 minutes with them having me do the same thing. He finally said the trouble was in the alley, which I had already told him. He set up a service call for Wednesday afternoon.

Tech came out and wondered why I didn't have fiber. Gee I don't know...last year the ran a new line to my house (all utilities are buried in my neighborhood) and that was supposed to fix this type of problem. The tech said that my neighbors had fiber coming out of the buried box at the edge of my yard. Went on to say another department would have to run a fiber line to my house before service could be restored. He put in a call for that and said they would contact me.

Thursday, no call, so I called and left msg with tech and texted the account manager who said he would get back to me.

Friday, no word by noon. Called Spectrum and had new service by 5 pm. TV and internet at about half the uverse price.

Internet speed is now 470mbps as opposed to 58mbps with AT&T. And that is on wifi with 4 laptops running and streaming simultaneously.

I am going to take my AT&T junk back to their brick and mortar store, cancel my service effective last Monday, the last day I had service.

Note that the tech from AT&T was nice and really tried hard. I told him that I appreciated his work but his company policies on getting me back up bordered on the criminally stupid and I am allergic to stupid.
    Capitol Armory ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Spectrum is just re-branded Time Warner, and Time Warner is one of the worst ISPs I've ever had to deal with both as a customer and professionally.

...but hey the quality of your service really relies on on whoever last serviced your local drop regardless of ISP, so Spectrum might work out great for you.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    ATT is terrible. Had them for Uverse and it was always a gigantic PITA if I had problems that require a technician come out. I always had to set aside a 4 hr block of time either 8am-noon or noon-4pm which I had to use vacation time for work. The reason they gave was in the event they needed to enter my home, someone had to be here. This was never the case, it was always and outside line that was not even on my property or a problem at the distribution box on the utility easement.. Dropped them due to the stupid requirement for me to take half day off work anytime there’s an issue and went to Comcast. No issues with them in several years now...
    Had DirectTV and dropped them shortly after they merged with ATT because they got too expensive. Ended up going to Dish network which was cheaper and the content they offered was “good enough”
    Had ATT cell phone but dropped them about 4 years ago because they were playing games with pricing. My data plan was a unlimited one that ATT stopped offering. I was grandfathered in under the old plan but they kept pestering me to switch to a cheaper plan with a data cap. That didn’t work so they announced a $5 increase to unlimited plans. Then the following year they had another $5 increase. A that point I switched to T-Mobile and have not looked back. They are about half the price I was paying ATT. So, aside from wifeys cell, there are no ATT companies in my house

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Tuesday my Uverse TV and internet went out. I did all the usual restart, reboot, reset, unplug-replug every wire and connector. All I had was the power light. Worked on it for 90 minutes. Called service and spent another 90 minutes with them having me do the same thing. He finally said the trouble was in the alley, which I had already told him. He set up a service call for Wednesday afternoon.

Tech came out and wondered why I didn't have fiber. Gee I don't know...last year the ran a new line to my house (all utilities are buried in my neighborhood) and that was supposed to fix this type of problem. The tech said that my neighbors had fiber coming out of the buried box at the edge of my yard. Went on to say another department would have to run a fiber line to my house before service could be restored. He put in a call for that and said they would contact me.

Thursday, no call, so I called and left msg with tech and texted the account manager who said he would get back to me.

Friday, no word by noon. Called Spectrum and had new service by 5 pm. TV and internet at about half the uverse price.

Internet speed is now 470mbps as opposed to 58mbps with AT&T. And that is on wifi with 4 laptops running and streaming simultaneously.

I am going to take my AT&T junk back to their brick and mortar store, cancel my service effective last Monday, the last day I had service.

Note that the tech from AT&T was nice and really tried hard. I told him that I appreciated his work but his company policies on getting me back up bordered on the criminally stupid and I am allergic to stupid.
    I dumped ATT 7 years ago. Now, for the really stupid part. They were billing me at my new address and after moving in we needed to change the service from my old house to the new house. I called them and told them where I had my old service at and the address I wanted it moved to. Well, she kept asking if I was sure my address was on southwest street and not south street. Of course I was sure I told her and she asked again. Then she said she could not find any street named Southwest anywhere in my town. So I asked her then how in the hell do I get mail from you here at the southwest st address? Finally I just told her to shove it.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    When Uverse first came out, it was pretty good. By the time we dumped it, the service was horrible. When we complained, Uverse said "it must be your wiring and tv that are bad and that's not our fault." But the telephone line had so much static that you couldn't hold a conversation on it, which would indicate that the problem was all theirs. Eventually I just got tired of fighting with them and dumped them entirely. House by house all through my neighborhood, the Uverse truck would show up, work on a system, piss off the residents, and get dumped.

That left us with Xfinity, and they have been mediocre at best. Channels will sometimes just go dead. I wanted the history channel, but to get it you have to buy a very expensive package. It still shows up on the selections - even though it doesn't work - and that just irritates the crap out of me.

Tachus came through and installed high speed internet. They seem to be pretty good, but the company was bought out earlier this year, so it remains to be seen how long it will still be good. I'm working to drop Xfinity and move over to streaming on Tachus.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    We had Comcast at one time, picture would freeze on occasion. They came out a few times, even put a new cable from the house to the junction box. Still had freezes, just yesterday a guy from Xfinity came buy the house. We have no solititation in our HOA and on our front door. I was coming out of the house when he was about to put his business card on the door. I told him no soliciting, he said he saw the sign and that's why he didn't ring the bell, tried to hand me his card. Told him no thanks, had trouble with the service when we had it. He wasn't a dick and said how is ATT treating me. I hate bad service and solicitors.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    I don't think HOA rules apply to solicitors. How can they enforce them?

I've started answering the door with a gun in my hand. It gets interesting reactions. Cops have been out twice and say I shouldn't do that. I point out the no trespassing/soliciting/post no bills sign. Cops also didn't like my gun in hand when they rang the bell either.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But the telephone line had so much static that you couldn't hold a conversation on it
    That's so common these days, no matter whose network is being used. :(

I pity the poor kids who will never know the clarity of the end-to-end, all-analog phone systems we had 50 years ago, when you could understand every word and even tones of voice like the person was standing in the room with you. They'll never know what they're missing.

I think this situation is why I hate talking on the phone so much.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't think HOA rules apply to solicitors. How can they enforce them?
    I've affixed a sign flat on top of the stool that sits by the front door. You can't see it from the street but it's obvious when you walk up to the door. It says:

Day Sleeper
    Do not knock or ring doorbell
    Unless you have called ahead
    or
    This is an emergency.​

Since doing so, we've only gotten one knock and that guy was brimming over with apologies because he said he only saw the sign after he knocked. He was just a kid and I believed him.

Since my sis is mostly a day sleeper, I don't even feel like I'm misleading anyone.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I've affixed a sign flat on top of the stool that sits by the front door. You can't see it from the street but it's obvious when you walk up to the door. It says:

Day Sleeper
    or
    This is an emergency.​

Since doing so, we've only gotten one knock and that guy was brimming over with apologies because he said he only saw the sign after he knocked. He was just a kid and I believed him.

Since my sis is mostly a day sleeper, I don't even feel like I'm misleading anyone.
    When I worked nights I used black out mask and shooting earmuffs to sleep during the day.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I had a Uverse tech out to the house last week - he said there is no such thing as Uverse any longer, not for years now he said. Everything has gone to internet streaming and an 'app'. A few hours after he left a young lady from ATT came to see me and after complaining about the cost she worked the phone with ATT (pretended to be the customer) and got me a savings of $60/month.
    By then they will have the new fiber at my house working so I will get to start over.

jonevill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Texas City
    I got tired of fighting with AT&T every month so I dumped them years ago. I won't even activate the wi-fi hotspot in the GMC truck because it is through AT&T.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

Day Sleeper
    or
    This is an emergency.​

When I worked nights I used black out mask and shooting earmuffs to sleep during the day.
    For many years, off and on I worked nights. It's hard to sleep during the day sometimes.

My technique was really thick and dark curtains that blocked all the light, a fan or the A/C on full blast, and the radio playing low for additional background noise. Most times that worked pretty good.

I also had signs like @benenglish stating I was a day sleeper, and had no desire to be disturbed. But there was always the occasional idiot that would ignore the sign, and knock anyways.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    But there was always the occasional idiot that would ignore the sign, and knock anyways.
    The overwhelming number of times I've gotten the early morning wake-up knocks has been when the Constables want to serve me papers because somebody else is suing me. I don't mind those guys and I consider them OK under the emergency provision of my sign.

Like I said, only one inattentive solicitor since the sign has been out. Maybe I've just been lucky.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I had uverse at the last apartment I lived in, decent speeds for the price I was paying and only had issues when I tried to move and cancel the service.

I called and cancelled after informing them I was moving, got a confirmation date when my service would be disconnected and began my move.

Months later I get a bill for after my shut off date, years and years of arguing over the phone with att reps and bill collectors and I still took a hit on my credit because they refused to acknowledge they in fact said my service would be off by such and such date yet they continued to bill me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    The overwhelming number of times I've gotten the early morning wake-up knocks has been when the Constables want to serve me papers because somebody else is suing me. I don't mind those guys and I consider them OK under the emergency provision of my sign.

Like I said, only one inattentive solicitor since the sign has been out. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Dang, don't reckon I've heard any of these stories, lol.....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom