• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    My doc for the last 20 years has gone off the deep end. He has propaganda all over his waiting room about how much money insurance company execs make and he has a check from BCBS for $1.47 and an explanation that the salaries is where all the money is going.

OK ... he can formulate his theory on how it all works ... I certainly don;t have any first-hand knowledge.

A couple months ago, I make an appointment with one of his PAs for a routine visit and med check.
    She says that she can't make a change without the doc concurring. Charge for office visit #1.

Make an appointment to see the doc, he says he wants to have some blood drawn for labs. Charge for office visit #2

Make an appointment to have blood drawn. Office visit #3, but no charge, just another trip and missed time at work.

Get a call that my labs are back ... make yet another appointment.

See the doc, he makes the med change and wants me to come back and see a PA in two weeks to make sure the meds are working as they should.
    Visit #4 and charge #3.

I make the comment on I see how he is getting around low reimbursements from the insurance companies by making and charging me for 4 office visits for one issue. He looks at me with those beady eyes. You realize you aren't hurting the insurance company but making it damned unreasonable for your patients, right?

He didn't seem very happy that I called him on his scam.

So I learned to make an appointment to see the doc and only the doc #1.
    And #2 is I think I need to look for another family doc.
    Gun Zone Deals

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Find a concierge style doc that doesn't accept insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    for some reason i picture your doc like the guy in your profile pic, lol!

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    "Obama-Care" has for sure screwed up the entire health care system in the USA.

My wife practiced medicine for 30 + years, then gave it up because the Government decided what was best for her patients.

Hope and Change will bring us to our knees.

Be well.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    I feel your frustration Mitch. The treatment I have received over the last 8 or so years from the medical community is worth about what I have to pay them as my co-pay, then they get a nice check from the insurance company who wants a crazy amount of my pay check each month.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Yep ... I'm less than impressed today.

I don't care for a medical buffet where I have to explain and re-explain my ailments to a new face each time I need to visit.
    I'll put up with a little bit of hassle and extra cost for a real person who knows me on a personal level and cares about my well being.

Until recently, I felt I had that.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    15 years ago I figured out this scheme as I took my elderly mother to her doctors.
    They don't get much per visit but boy do they know how to ramp up the visits (mostly to their PA)

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Having grown up in a large family without it, and at a time that it wasn't provided by governmental tax incentives to corporations, the encroaching insurance industry is at the root of the problem, and should not be the only basis for the solution.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I had a doc do this. Go in, sick, run blood work. Go in for follow up on mess prescribed. You're ok, but let's see blood work. If this happens few more times you need surgery . Next day call and ask to come in for 3rd visit for blood work.

Finally I told him. Look. I'm fresh out of college. I live paycheck to pay check. Just call me. I can't spend about deductible for you to tell me you were right I have X.

They said oh we understand. The doctor will call you shortly.

Which he did.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    On the other side of the coin, medicine is not always an exact science. Much of it in regards to diagnosis is educated guess work based on symptoms and their physical exam. Blood work and other diagnostics help them narrow down the possibilities. Also, some of the repeat visits are defensive medicine that many doctors practice because people are so ready to sue and the more test results they have are a plus in their defense.

Medications are not 100% effective or safe. Some medications are, for instance, hard on the liver so your doctor may check your liver function before prescribing the medication and check it periodically after you've been taking the medication to detect any change in liver function before it's too late. In the case of a blood pressure medication they would also want to check to be sure it is working for you because they don't always work as well for everyone.

duckknot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2013
    Leander, TX
    On the other side of the coin, medicine is not always an exact science. Much of it in regards to diagnosis is educated guess work based on symptoms and their physical exam. Blood work and other diagnostics help them narrow down the possibilities. Also, some of the repeat visits are defensive medicine that many doctors practice because people are so ready to sue and the more test results they have are a plus in their defense.

Medications are not 100% effective or safe. Some medications are, for instance, hard on the liver so your doctor may check your liver function before prescribing the medication and check it periodically after you've been taking the medication to detect any change in liver function before it's too late. In the case of a blood pressure medication they would also want to check to be sure it is working for you because they don't always work as well for everyone.
    This!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Yes I have to go into doctor every six months for blood work. i talk to doctor get blood taken from me. The my Doc uses a web site called patient fusion where he post up my results and some commentary on them. I do not have to go back to him talk about it.

Top Bottom