Military Camp

Range in DFW where FMJ Rifle Ammo is Allowed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    I know there are a few threads that have ranges in this particular area, but with as many people on here that came from ar15.com, I figure some of you have to know where to go shoot.

I have almost bought an AR-15 about 20 times in the last two weeks, but every time I change my mind because I have no idea if I would ever find a place to even shoot it.

Any recommendations from you AR-15 guys?

I'm in Lewisville. I figure there has to be something around, or do you guys just buy the hollow-point?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know there are a few threads that have ranges in this particular area, but with as many people on here that came from ar15.com, I figure some of you have to know where to go shoot.

I have almost bought an AR-15 about 20 times in the last two weeks, but every time I change my mind because I have no idea if I would ever find a place to even shoot it.

Any recommendations from you AR-15 guys?

I'm in Lewisville. I figure there has to be something around, or do you guys just buy the hollow-point?

I puy soft points from Dallas Reloaders. Shoot em everywhere.

oxbld

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Mesquite
    Gibson Outpost Shooting Range

1712 Lawson Rd
    Mesquite, TX 75181
    Phone: (972) 222-8127

They allow FMJ rifle ammo. I shoot my Garand, Mauser, and Mosins there all the time.

FlyinFast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Richardson
    Gibson Outpost Shooting Range

1712 Lawson Rd
    Mesquite, TX 75181
    Phone: (972) 222-8127

They allow FMJ rifle ammo. I shoot my Garand, Mauser, and Mosins there all the time.

The range it's self is not bad. I am very disappointed they charge more for the 200 yard range. Be advised 1.Dont bring your guns in the office/store (you might shoot them) 2. the owner's son runs a ton of business away. Very poor customer service on his part.

Infamous

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    North Dallas
    i dont quite understand the sick fascination that dallas ranges have with fmjs. its not like they are some sort of super bullet and it doesnt take friggin hercules to build a backstop to stop them. :confused:

Tribrothers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Years ago the manager of the Garland range told me that their insurance required the ban on FMJ rifle ammo. I can shoot my Thomspon and M2 carbine on the pistonl range with ball ammo(semi only), but can't shoot ball on the rifle range with the bigger berm. Go figure.

Tribrothers

dglockster

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    The Elm Fork Range on Luna Road in Dallas now allows FMJ - or so I was told.

Approximately two weeks ago, I took a AK there to test fire. When the clerk asked what type of rifle, I told him an AK in 7.62X39 but that I had hollowpoint ammo, not FMJ. He said FMJ was now permitted so long as it was not military surplus, probably meaning steel core. I replied good because I had several hundred rounds of Wolf FMJ and he said bring it on out.

However, just to be sure, it wouldn't hurt to call before going.

If someone does call, let us know what you learn.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Approximately two weeks ago, I took a AK there to test fire. When the clerk asked what type of rifle, I told him an AK in 7.62X39 but that I had hollowpoint ammo, not FMJ. He said FMJ was now permitted so long as it was not military surplus, probably meaning steel core. I replied good because I had several hundred rounds of Wolf FMJ and he said bring it on out.

That us what I was told also. No steel core, but FMJ is fine.

DFW Gun; although, an indoor range, allows FMJ.

kingmonkey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Too bad you live so far north. The place I normally go to shoot is called Tac Pro out in a small town called Mingus. Great place. You can shoot whatever ammo you want, as fast as you want. They even have a 1,000 yard range...but you have to be a member to use it.

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com

Steel core is hard to find since it's been illegal to import for decades. About the only steel core that's readily available domestically is 5.56x45 M855, which has a convenient green tip.

Last time I was at Elm Fork, they were very determined to disqualify any and all ammo they didn't like. Turned me away with new Wolf hollow-point 7.62x39, saying it was steel-core because a magnet would stick to the bullet (the jacket is bi-metal).

The rules on their website have not changed...

Rifle & Pistol

Rifle Range Rules

• Eye & Ear Protection Mandatory.
    • Alcohol is prohibited.
    • No full metal jacket or steel jacketed ammunition allowed.
    • No rapid fire.
    • .22 rifles and pellet guns will be limited to the Rim Fire range.
    • All shooting will be done from the bench.
    • Age Limits:
      A. Unaccompanied: 18 years old or older.
      B. Accompanied by an adult 18 years old or older:
      (1) Shooters under 12 years old will shoot at the sole discretion of the
      Range Officer.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Probably going on two years ago. It has since changed hands after the months-long flood in spring 2007.

Regardless, their posted rules have not been updated.

I know. One of the instructors from over there has posted on arfifteen several times that steel core is all they prohibit now.

I haven't tried to shoot FMJ, as I use soft points. Just passing along the info.

friedk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Winchester Shooting Range in Ft. Worth has a 25yd range. They magnet test ammo for a steel core. I'm not sure what they think about wolf..since it's steel cased.

gunnut1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    Saginaw
    i dont quite understand the sick fascination that dallas ranges have with fmjs. its not like they are some sort of super bullet and it doesnt take friggin hercules to build a backstop to stop them. :confused:

The problem is that the FMJs tend to skip over the berm. They do not fragment.

I went to Quail Creek years ago to shoot my AR and all I had was FMJ which they had previously allowed. On this trip the had a big sign "NO FMJ ALLOWED". I asked the owner why all of a sudden they disallowed FMJ. This was his answer. He told mt that his backdoor neighbor came into the shop one day and told him he had bullets leaving the range. The owner said he did understand how. So they went behind the berm while people were shooting and he said it looked like a sea of copper behind the berm. He also told me that he could actually see the FMJs coming over the berm.

I have also witnessed this happening by watching the dust that a FMJ kicks up when it impacts the berm. I saw several skip over the a berm at a range. I have also seen tracers at night that will deflect in odd directions when they hit something.

That is the problem.

No public ranges, that I am aware of and other than Gibson's will allow them, in the FWD area will allow steel jacket or steel core FMJ bullets. The Winchester range will accept them ONLY if the are copper clad lead.

Your best best bet is a private club. I belong to the Arlington Sportsman Club and I really like it.

It is most important that all bullets stay with in the confines of the range. Something about liability.

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I think TargetMaster allows FMJ as long as it is not steel core (they do check it with a magnet!). However, be advised that some FMJ apparently is lead core but has a steel jacket--that will be rejected, too (and I know a couple of guys who were angry about that).

flashguy

idleprocess

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    I think TargetMaster allows FMJ as long as it is not steel core (they do check it with a magnet!). However, be advised that some FMJ apparently is lead core but has a steel jacket--that will be rejected, too (and I know a couple of guys who were angry about that).

flashguy

Bimetal jacket != steel core, but good luck convincing range officers...

Steel core is really only available in 5.45x39 and civvy M855 5.56 these days anyway.

Top Bottom