Venture Surplus ad

Range in DFW where FMJ Rifle Ammo is Allowed?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fmdrumstix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Elm Fork clarification

I am also searching for a place to shoot my new ar-15. I called Elm Fork in Dallas and said there is some confusion about the issue, and they told me fmj is allowed, but only on the 25 yard range. It seems that the best idea is to join a private club as mentioned before, but that seems like such a hassle because of the application process.

It might be a good idea to get that reloading equipement and start saving money on hollow point ammo just so we can afford to shoot at public ranges.
    Guns International

hammlarr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm just getting back into the one thing I have always enjoyed and that is buying and shooting C&R classified rifles and I feel like a kid turned loose in toy, candy, or whatever store I'm estatic. However, I'm finding out a lot things have changed since I was derailed; the outragous price for C&R's and the abundance of FMJ and the limitation of it's use. So, after saying all this would someone explain to me how a range can determine military FMJ and non-military FMJ? I have read somewhere that ranges use a magnet. Now, if it's FMJ mil or non-mil wouldn't the magnet attach to it? Please explain.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I'm just getting back into the one thing I have always enjoyed and that is buying and shooting C&R classified rifles and I feel like a kid turned loose in toy, candy, or whatever store I'm estatic. However, I'm finding out a lot things have changed since I was derailed; the outragous price for C&R's and the abundance of FMJ and the limitation of it's use. So, after saying all this would someone explain to me how a range can determine military FMJ and non-military FMJ? I have read somewhere that ranges use a magnet. Now, if it's FMJ mil or non-mil wouldn't the magnet attach to it? Please explain.

You ought to start your own thread for a better and fresh discussion.

This one was 6 months old and moldy.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    dfw indoor over on mockingbird lets fmj rifles in pretty decent place very nice staff to. i have heard of wannabe thugs with ak's and tech 9's get turned away though but im all for that

597newbie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009

I started a webpage w/ fmj ranges and non fmj... http://gibsonout.freewebpage.org/

INDOOR RANGES DO THIS! FMJ rifle is allowed but must not be magnetic. Most fmj surplus is magnetic. Usually all brass surplus (yugoslavian 7.62.54R, x39, 8mm) are not magnetic but all the others I have are. Most is not all. Bullettrap tests with a bolt cutter. call them to clarify.

Surplus rifle rounds are tested with a bolt cutter! (need to call them about this. I forgot the equation.
    If round snips softly is/is not magnetic or if it shatters is/is not magnetic).
    A bullet can be magnetic (due to casing or some metal mix) but still pass the bolt cutter test. Again, call to clarify.

597newbie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009

ComBloc Ammo FAQ (Wolf, Bernaul, Monarch, Silver Bear, Brown Bear)

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268

Magnetic ammo or Non Magnetic ammo questions answered
    Copper or Steel casing questions answered
    Surplus military steel core questions answered

flashguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    Unfortunately the range is now temporarily closed. If it comes back it will have major improvements to the berm and will have some type of range officer on duty. Again the actions of a few cost the good folks who shot there.
    I am not surprised that it is closed. I shot there once and was appalled at the inadequacy of the backstop AND the fact that there were inhabited buildings on the far side of it! I actually could not believe that shooting was even allowed there.

flashguy

597newbie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    another range finder...
    Find NRA Near You NRA gun range finder

Only 2 FMJ Gibsons and Magnum and tacpro in mingus and a private one... I think one in fort worth allows... need to look at my emails.
    2 FMJ Ranges in DFW Gibson's and Magnum DFW gun ranges listed and websites.

3 fmj outdoor ranges in dfw.

found another fmj range www.jacobsplain.com in greenville. they also allow quick draw.

depending on caliber... 223 and 762x39 are 'cheap' and readily available on the internet in soft point and hollow point. so if you are shooting those you can go to almost any outdoor range I know of.

hammlarr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I want to thank everyone for information in regards to 'allowable FMJ at Dallas Ranges'. Why did I specify Dallas? I was just trying to find a range close to home (Bedford). As I see it the biggest problem with gun ranges TODAY is that many of theser ranges in the DFW area were at one time located in 'UNDEVELOPED AREAS' I have lived in the DFW area all my life I can remeber the range off of Luna (when there wasn't Luna) was located in what was called 'the boonies'; heck it was all ranch land! There wasn't problem with any one going out pulling off the road near a bridge go down to creek and shoot at whatever at the creek bank on the other side! I used to go target practice with my shotgun in Irving where 'Lion Country Safari' used to be! The bottom line is all of the one time 'open range' in the DFW area is going going GONE!! Now the one time isolated gun ranges are surrounded by either housing or business developments. They are forced to dis-allow one time acceptable ammo OR restrict you to a short range (25 yards). I'm going to buy some brass or copper FMJ and pick one of the many gun ranges suggested to me and just see what happens. Again thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

TxPhantom

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Frisco, Texas
    Looks like this thread kinda fizzled out a couple of months ago but I was surprised there was very little mention of The Bullet Trap In Plano. I have zeroed in the scope on my Savage 30-06 and shot my Win. 30-30 there several times. The rifle range is only 25 yards. There was never any mention of what kind of ammo I was using, but they are very proud of their little sticks that hold the target. If you shoot their stick it will cost you $20.00. Actually I've considered shooting the stick and paying the $20.00 just for the fun of it but the guys that work there are pretty nice and I don't want to piss them off.

hammlarr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    FMJ ammo allowed at any Dallas or Ft worth gun range

I was the orginator about the use of FMJ at any DFW firing range and I to am suprised there is still replys to my question but you know what that's great! It just shows there are a lot people who just like to go out to a range and fire off a few rounds either for preparation for the up coming hunting seasons or just the love holding piece of iron and wood in their hands and the rush of popping off those rounds. In my last reply I mentioned that is so so sad the DFW area has expanded its tentacles ever farther in every direction turning once get away areas out in the country side or sticks (as we use to call it) are now those sticks are have been converted into strip malls, housing developments etc. its really sad. But as long as we have forums like this, the NRA and all other gun advocates at least we say 'It's my right to bear arms' and if the law changes WELL IT DOSEN'T MATTER I AIN'T GIVING MINE UP!!! Like the Texas for independance slogan/flag said COME AND GET IT!!

icewolf73

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Irving, TX
    Elm Fork allows FMJ on the 25 and 30 yard ranges. We also allow steel core and pretty much anything else you have. Our 100 yd range, on the other hand, does not allow either; soft tip or hollow point only and rifles must be scoped to 3x or better.

597newbie

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Looks like this thread kinda fizzled out a couple of months ago but I was surprised there was very little mention of The Bullet Trap In Plano. I have zeroed in the scope on my Savage 30-06 and shot my Win. 30-30 there several times. The rifle range is only 25 yards. There was never any mention of what kind of ammo I was using, but they are very proud of their little sticks that hold the target. If you shoot their stick it will cost you $20.00. Actually I've considered shooting the stick and paying the $20.00 just for the fun of it but the guys that work there are pretty nice and I don't want to piss them off.

bullettrap and targetmaster in garland (50 yard range indoor) allow fmj but it must be tested by a magnet or cutting. most surplus fmj ammo will not pass the magnet or cutting test.

All brass commercial ammo in fmj is not magnetic and you can shoot that indoors monarch at sports academy has 2 types steel case (cheaper) and all brass (cost more but is not magnetic and you can shoot indoors).

i have spent many days at targetmaster and was a member shooting at 50 yd indoor rifle range.

Top Bottom