Join TexasGunTalk

Range in DFW where FMJ Rifle Ammo is Allowed?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Kerbouchard, Jul 28, 2008.

1. fmdrumstix

fmdrumstix New Member

Nov 28, 2008
    Elm Fork clarification

I am also searching for a place to shoot my new ar-15. I called Elm Fork in Dallas and said there is some confusion about the issue, and they told me fmj is allowed, but only on the 25 yard range. It seems that the best idea is to join a private club as mentioned before, but that seems like such a hassle because of the application process.

It might be a good idea to get that reloading equipement and start saving money on hollow point ammo just so we can afford to shoot at public ranges.

2. hammlarr

hammlarr New Member

I'm just getting back into the one thing I have always enjoyed and that is buying and shooting C&R classified rifles and I feel like a kid turned loose in toy, candy, or whatever store I'm estatic. However, I'm finding out a lot things have changed since I was derailed; the outragous price for C&R's and the abundance of FMJ and the limitation of it's use. So, after saying all this would someone explain to me how a range can determine military FMJ and non-military FMJ? I have read somewhere that ranges use a magnet. Now, if it's FMJ mil or non-mil wouldn't the magnet attach to it? Please explain.

3. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    You ought to start your own thread for a better and fresh discussion.

This one was 6 months old and moldy.

4. AR15Vern

AR15Vern New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Gibson

Just got home from Gibson Range. Beautiful day to shoot.

5. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    dfw indoor over on mockingbird lets fmj rifles in pretty decent place very nice staff to. i have heard of wannabe thugs with ak's and tech 9's get turned away though but im all for that

6. Gopher

Gopher Member

Just about anything goes at Ralph's range in Tom Bean.

7. 597newbie

597newbie New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    I started a webpage w/ fmj ranges and non fmj... http://gibsonout.freewebpage.org/

INDOOR RANGES DO THIS! FMJ rifle is allowed but must not be magnetic. Most fmj surplus is magnetic. Usually all brass surplus (yugoslavian 7.62.54R, x39, 8mm) are not magnetic but all the others I have are. Most is not all. Bullettrap tests with a bolt cutter. call them to clarify.

Surplus rifle rounds are tested with a bolt cutter! (need to call them about this. I forgot the equation.
    If round snips softly is/is not magnetic or if it shatters is/is not magnetic).
    A bullet can be magnetic (due to casing or some metal mix) but still pass the bolt cutter test. Again, call to clarify.

8. 597newbie

597newbie New Member

Apr 26, 2009
    ComBloc Ammo FAQ (Wolf, Bernaul, Monarch, Silver Bear, Brown Bear)

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=268

Magnetic ammo or Non Magnetic ammo questions answered
    Copper or Steel casing questions answered
    Surplus military steel core questions answered

9. Gopher

Gopher Member

Unfortunately the range is now temporarily closed. If it comes back it will have major improvements to the berm and will have some type of range officer on duty. Again the actions of a few cost the good folks who shot there.

10. flashguy

flashguy Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I am not surprised that it is closed. I shot there once and was appalled at the inadequacy of the backstop AND the fact that there were inhabited buildings on the far side of it! I actually could not believe that shooting was even allowed there.

flashguy