Join TexasGunTalk

Range in DFW where FMJ Rifle Ammo is Allowed?

Discussion in 'Texas Gun Ranges' started by Kerbouchard, Jul 28, 2008.

1. kingmonkey

kingmonkey New Member

Aug 22, 2008
    Too bad you live so far north. The place I normally go to shoot is called Tac Pro out in a small town called Mingus. Great place. You can shoot whatever ammo you want, as fast as you want. They even have a 1,000 yard range...but you have to be a member to use it.

2. idleprocess

idleprocess Active Member

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Steel core is hard to find since it's been illegal to import for decades. About the only steel core that's readily available domestically is 5.56x45 M855, which has a convenient green tip.

Last time I was at Elm Fork, they were very determined to disqualify any and all ammo they didn't like. Turned me away with new Wolf hollow-point 7.62x39, saying it was steel-core because a magnet would stick to the bullet (the jacket is bi-metal).

The rules on their website have not changed...

Rifle & Pistol

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    When was that?

4. idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Probably going on two years ago. It has since changed hands after the months-long flood in spring 2007.

Regardless, their posted rules have not been updated.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I know. One of the instructors from over there has posted on arfifteen several times that steel core is all they prohibit now.

I haven't tried to shoot FMJ, as I use soft points. Just passing along the info.

6. friedk

friedk New Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Winchester Shooting Range in Ft. Worth has a 25yd range. They magnet test ammo for a steel core. I'm not sure what they think about wolf..since it's steel cased.

7. gunnut1

gunnut1 New Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Saginaw
    The problem is that the FMJs tend to skip over the berm. They do not fragment.

I went to Quail Creek years ago to shoot my AR and all I had was FMJ which they had previously allowed. On this trip the had a big sign "NO FMJ ALLOWED". I asked the owner why all of a sudden they disallowed FMJ. This was his answer. He told mt that his backdoor neighbor came into the shop one day and told him he had bullets leaving the range. The owner said he did understand how. So they went behind the berm while people were shooting and he said it looked like a sea of copper behind the berm. He also told me that he could actually see the FMJs coming over the berm.

I have also witnessed this happening by watching the dust that a FMJ kicks up when it impacts the berm. I saw several skip over the a berm at a range. I have also seen tracers at night that will deflect in odd directions when they hit something.

That is the problem.

No public ranges, that I am aware of and other than Gibson's will allow them, in the FWD area will allow steel jacket or steel core FMJ bullets. The Winchester range will accept them ONLY if the are copper clad lead.

Your best best bet is a private club. I belong to the Arlington Sportsman Club and I really like it.

It is most important that all bullets stay with in the confines of the range. Something about liability.

8. Renegade

Renegade SuperOwner

Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I think FMJ is OK at Magnum Range in Sanger.

9. flashguy

flashguy Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Dallas, Texas
    I think TargetMaster allows FMJ as long as it is not steel core (they do check it with a magnet!). However, be advised that some FMJ apparently is lead core but has a steel jacket--that will be rejected, too (and I know a couple of guys who were angry about that).

flashguy

10. idleprocess

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW.com
    Bimetal jacket != steel core, but good luck convincing range officers...

Steel core is really only available in 5.45x39 and civvy M855 5.56 these days anyway.