• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Firestick is just a streaming device that connects to the internet to stream channels. Just like a Roku and some of the others.

As long as the TV has a HDMI port for the device, it doesn't need to be a smart TV. Most TV' made in the last ten years or so, have a HDMI input. Mine has two of them.

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano
    Dumb question - how can you make a "dumb tv" into a "smart tv" - is that what a "firestick" does?

That is basically what these streaming devices do. I use Fire Cube, no cable and don't get any over the air channels but I'm not an avid TV watcher, it's usually on for background noise or streaming Pandora while I am doing other things.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Firestick is just a streaming device that connects to the internet to stream channels. Just like a Roku and some of the others.

As long as the TV has a HDMI port for the device, it doesn't need to be a smart TV. Most TV' made in the last ten years or so, have a HDMI input. Mine has two of them.

Ummm... I'm too tech dumb to even know how to respond to that.

Allow me to pose my question another way: I have one "smart tv" that is connected to no other device other than my WiFi router and we can watch Netflix, Prime, Newsmax, YouTube, etc, even local broadcast stations... how do I make my other "dumb tvs" able to do that?

medicmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2020
    Plano

Allow me to pose my question another way: I have one "smart tv" that is connected to no other device other than my WiFi router and we can watch Netflix, Prime, Newsmax, YouTube, etc, even local broadcast stations... how do I make my other "dumb tvs" able to do that?

What he means by HDMI ports will be the ones that take these cables.

Amazon product ASIN B014I8T0YQ
    If you plug in your DVD player or whatever with one of these you should be able to pop in a streaming device and get at least most what you want. I haven't even looked into streaming local channels though.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Given all the TV talk, where (if anyone here knows) can I get educated on Roku or Hulu or whatever else does the job?

Given my eyes give me fits, my most cherished form of entertainment... reading, is now out and TV is very much in so I need to know where to find out how to maximize TV watching.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I appreciate the levity. I really do!

I’ll just try to remember not to ask y’all for advise when I can’t figure out how to stop the arterial blood from squirting out of my wound.

A little more seriously though, I’m just Gilligan looking for a little help from The Professor... Nobody’s got nuthin?

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    What he means by HDMI ports will be the ones that take these cables.

Amazon product ASIN B014I8T0YQ
    If you plug in your DVD player or whatever with one of these you should be able to pop in a streaming device and get at least most what you want. I haven't even looked into streaming local channels though.

Looky there! Not everyone is an aspiring comedian!!

Thank you Mike. So connecting a blue ray (assuming it’s smart?) is an option. Is there not an option of a simple thumb drive type thingy that can plug into an HDMI port and make my TV smarter than our beloved TGT comedians?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Most every DVD player, game system, Blueray player, etc sold in the last 10 years will do just about everything a “smart” tv does. If it has an HDMI cable to plug in to the TV it’s most likely got streaming apps on it also.

The only difference between a smart and dumb TV is which apps are built in. Many have some streaming channels built in based on manufacturer but I’ve found them to be generally terrible.

If your only looking for things like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon video, etc you can probably just order a cheap box from somewhere that will let you connect.

I don’t know much about Roku or Firesticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Looky there! Not everyone is an aspiring comedian!!

Thank you Mike. So connecting a blue ray (assuming it’s smart?) is an option. Is there not an option of a simple thumb drive type thingy that can plug into an HDMI port and make my TV smarter than our beloved TGT comedians?

Google used to have a chrome stick that would connect to WiFi and you would use your phone to tell it what to do. Similar to the firestick I believe. Basically as you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

A firestick, or similar device will allow you to watch the channels you speak of.
    That is what I use on my old TV.
    However, I have the firestick plugged into my reciever, because the TV doesn't have an HDMI.

ETA: Not positive you can watch YouTube with the firestick.
    Also not the local channels I don't believe.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

What @medicmike said is correct. Your "smart" TV already seems to have a streaming device or the capability to stream from the internet from the factory. It doesn't need the Firestick or Roku device. If your other TV's have the HDMI input port, the Firestick or Roku device allow them to connect to the onternet and do the same thing as your "smart" TV does now.
    Given all the TV talk, where (if anyone here knows) can I get educated on Roku or Hulu or whatever else does the job?

Given my eyes give me fits, my most cherished form of entertainment... reading, is now out and TV is very much in so I need to know where to find out how to maximize TV watching.

I recommend the Roku over the Firestick. We have both, and the Roku is cheaper, has better picture and sound and is easier to navigate. The only advantage the Firestick has is the ability to access the internet like a browser. Essentially using your TV as a computer for internet browsing. I used our Firestick to access and communicate on TGT for a while when my other laptop crashed.

With the Roku there are lots and lots of free channels you can access to watch, and lots of subscriber channels as well. We are now subscribing to NetFlix and Philo.

The big advantage of Firestick or the Roku is once you buy it, you own it. No monthly fees like cable or satellite TV. We paid $80 for the Firestick, and $20 for the Roku. The wife got another Roku for Christmas. WalMart carries the Roku, but not the Firestick. You can get the Firestick from Amazon.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    A firestick, or similar device will allow you to watch the channels you speak of.
    That is what I use on my old TV.
    However, I have the firestick plugged into my reciever, because the TV doesn't have an HDMI.

ETA: Not positive you can watch YouTube with the firestick.
    Also not the local channels I don't believe.

YouTube is available on Firestick and the Roku. I use to access YouTube on the laptop, but its much better to watch it on 43" flat screen!

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    US
    You can also get a chromecast if you have android devices and that works quite well. They are handy to bring with you when you stay in hotels as well

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom