• ...and so much more!
  • Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I think, manufacturers labelling ammo as "Target" ammo as opposed to "Self-Defense" aka: "tactical" ammo are using an advertising ploy to get folks to believe that FMJ (ball) ammo, labelled as target or training ammo, is not suitable for actual self-defense and thus they need to buy both type of ammo for the two different types of shooting - target/training shooting and self-defense/tactical shooting.

Sounds like a ploy to get people to buy ammo suited for their needs.

FMJ isn't the best choice for self defense.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Sounds like a ploy to get people to buy ammo suited for their needs.

FMJ isn't the best choice for self defense.

During my years in the U S Army, after Appomattox, I never saw a H-P handgun round.

Our vaunted 1911, and many other autoloaders were DESIGNED & BUILT to run "ball" or FMJ.

My carry stuff has a HP in the pipe, but FMJ at magazine top.

Mais-la, I'm so old fashioned that my .38 spc. revolvers are loaded with old-time Winchester "Silver-tips", just in case I run across a hungry vampire.

leVieux

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    During my years in the U S Army, after Appomattox, I never saw a H-P handgun round.

Our vaunted 1911, and many other autoloaders were DESIGNED & BUILT to run "ball" or FMJ.

My carry stuff has a HP in the pipe, but FMJ at magazine top.

Mais-la, I'm so old fashioned that my .38 spc. revolvers are loaded with old-time Winchester "Silver-tips", just in case I run across a hungry vampire.

leVieux
    A lot of old wive's tales being perpetrated in this post.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Ball/FMJ is no longer considered good for self defense. HP is the thing now days. just like the .38 special is not powerful enough for self defense.. Blah Blah Blah...............................

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Ball/FMJ is no longer considered good for self defense. HP is the thing now days. just like the .38 special is not powerful enough for self defense.. Blah Blah Blah...............................
    >

I understand, Thanks !

I guess all those BG's I saw during my 56 years in Gulf Coast Medicine weren't really dead from those .38Spc's!

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    Y'all have heard this before, but a few years ago I participated in the care of two New Orleans LEO's who each had taken one .380 to the upper mid-abdomen.

Both were severely injured and almost killed. I was amazed by the amount of internal organ damages from the .380.

Secondary lesson from that episode: If you are a "Patrol Officer", and especially if you do "traffic stops"; you must wear your body armor !

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    leVieux, are you engaging in a little lightweight, friendly trolling with this OP query? :green:
    >

No, seriously, I hadn't kept-up with changing terminology.

When the Gun-shop Guy saw that I didn't know what he was talking about, he shifted to "dealing with a dumb-ass mode" and began "Grains means how the weight of the bullet is measured. . . . ". As best as I could tell from the ammo boxes, I was just looking at regular 9mmPB ammo, so I just bought several boxes and left.

Then I began asking different folks but was getting inconsistent replies which further confused me. To this Old Guy, "range ammo" meant cheap target loads.

Long time back, I shot quite a bit, hundreds rounds every week, but haven't practiced much at all lately. That was when our Military was switching from .45ACP to 9mm and from M14's to the little black "Stoner" rifles. My unit kept getting tons of ammo, so I could shoot all I wanted for free.

At 78, my activities are reduced to easy dove or hog hunts and self-protection. Our arthritis plus debilities of age make doing things difficult, like working the slides on 1911's.

Also, I'm "downsizing" everything and trying to simplify my life, so I'm slowly trying to get down to 2 or 3 handgun calibers (plus .22LR), two rifle calibers, and 20GA.

As best as I can tell now, "range ammo" just refers to what we called "ball" in the Army. Our handguns were designed to run on that, not HP's.

leVieux

Top Bottom