• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Today, I learned that what is now considered "target ammo" includes regular "ball" and "FMJ" rounds.

I have never heard those termed that way before. Please help me understand how and when the terminology changed.

Thanks for replies. . . .

leVieux
    Texas SOT

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I think it has to do with those rounds being used almost solely to shoot targets. I don't know when that started, but it's been that way for the decade and a half I've been shooting.

If you want precision ammo, then that's usually labeled as "Match" ammo. "Target" ammo as stated before is generally understood to be cheap, bulk, range fodder.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Target ammo is now anything you can afford to shoot. Depending on your socio-economic standing that may only be 22LR... for some 9mm and 5.56mm...

Match grade (target) ammo is no longer target ammo, because it is unobtainium by either supply or cost...

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    With a few exceptions, Hollow Points are considered better for self defense ammo, but are usually much more expensive.

Reactions: gll

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Another term used for cheaper ammo is "Practice" ammo. Some even call it "Plinking" ammo.

Typically the cheapest functioning ammo bought for expending lots of rounds for whatever purpose.

Applies mostly to factory loaded ammo. Those of us that reload, can build pretty much any ammo for any use cheaper than most factory available ammo.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Today, I learned that what is now considered "target ammo" includes regular "ball" and "FMJ" rounds.

I have never heard those termed that way before. Please help me understand how and when the terminology changed.

Thanks for replies. . . .

leVieux

The terms started changing about the time they went from stewardess to flight attendant.

Unfortunately, the number of bullseye shooters is relatively small and the number of folks who just shoot at “targets” is amazingly large. Some folks at public places the sell ammo may never even meet someone need competition quality ammo and with cheap reloading, not many folks who want consistent ammo out of their gun are buying off the shelf stuff.

Except rimfire guys. But ‘match’ is the new word you’re probably associating with ‘target’ ammo.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The terms started changing about the time they went from stewardess to flight attendant.

Unfortunately, the number of bullseye shooters is relatively small and the number of folks who just shoot at “targets” is amazingly large. Some folks at public places the sell ammo may never even meet someone need competition quality ammo and with cheap reloading, not many folks who want consistent ammo out of their gun are buying off the shelf stuff.

Except rimfire guys. But ‘match’ is the new word you’re probably associating with ‘target’ ammo.
    Thanks, I'm familiar with "match", as in "match grade" ammo, which was supposedly made to greater care to insure accuracy. I now also see the term "training ammunition".

As far as this Old guy is concerned, "ball" and "FMJ" are "REGULAR" ammo ?

Way back when "Black Talon" was pulled ff, I bought all the 9mm & .45ACP that McBride's had left. It still works fine 28 years later.

leVieux

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    With a few exceptions, Hollow Points are considered better for self defense ammo, but are usually much more expensive.
    The main exceptions being rifle ammo.

Hollow pointed rifle ammo is usually match bullets not designed for hunting or self defense. It's about the manufacturing process and not the bullet's intended use like pistol bullets. They don't expand reliably.

When you buy hollow point rifle ammo and handgun ammo you are buying ammo for different purposes.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    The main exceptions being rifle ammo.

Hollow pointed rifle ammo is usually match bullets not designed for hunting or self defense. It's about the manufacturing process and not the bullet's intended use like pistol bullets. They don't expand reliably.

When you buy hollow point rifle ammo and handgun ammo you are buying ammo for different purposes.
    I agree, but I was thinking of the mouse gun calibers that lacked the power to reliably expand the HP bullets. 25 acp, 32 acp, and most 380. I believe you are better off with FMJ for defensive rounds in these situations. There are exceptions on the 380:

and I believe most of the "good" 380 HP's were using Hornady XTP bullets.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    This is what I have in my .380....

20210910_121919.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I think, manufacturers labelling ammo as "Target" ammo as opposed to "Self-Defense" aka: "tactical" ammo are using an advertising ploy to get folks to believe that FMJ (ball) ammo, labelled as target or training ammo, is not suitable for actual self-defense and thus they need to buy both type of ammo for the two different types of shooting - target/training shooting and self-defense/tactical shooting.

Top Bottom