• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    1. Does type III (curio & relic) still give the ATF permission to access and search your listed address once a month?
    2. Does type III allow one to purchase and store machineguns/short barreled shotguns/street sweeper-type firearms made after 1987?
    3. Do answers to questions 16 & 17 have any impact on your application?
    4. With a type III, can you sell something you purchase to someone else?
    5. With a type III, can you facilitate transfers/background checks for private citizens?

f_75310.12-7cr_5310.16_application_for_federal_firearms_license_0_0_Page_01.jpg
    f_75310.12-7cr_5310.16_application_for_federal_firearms_license_0_0_Page_02.jpg
    DK Firearms

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Does type III (curio & relic) still give the ATF permission to access and search your listed address once a month?
    With an FFL03 the ATF can pay you a visit WHENEVER they want. Does it happen often... no, it does not but that doesn't mean they won't.

Does type III allow one to purchase and store machineguns/short barreled shotguns/street sweeper-type firearms made after 1987?
    No, it does not.

Do answers to questions 16 & 17 have any impact on your application?
    If you are applying for an 03 license, yes it does. You cannot run a business with this license, and your purchases must be for your own personal collection.

With a type III, can you sell something you purchase to someone else?
    Yes, you can. You need to read up on logbooks regarding acquisitions and dispositions. As you acquire a C&R firearm, you must log it in as an acquisition, and when you sell/gift a firearm you must log it out and keep tight records.

With a type III, can you facilitate transfers/background checks for private citizens?
    No, you cannot. That falls to an FFL01 licensee.

Andiamo

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2021
    Austin
    Does type III (curio & relic) still give the ATF permission to access and search your listed address once a month?
    With an FFL03 the ATF can pay you a visit WHENEVER they want. Does it happen often... no, it does not but that doesn't mean they won't.

Does type III allow one to purchase and store machineguns/short barreled shotguns/street sweeper-type firearms made after 1987?
    No, it does not.

Do answers to questions 16 & 17 have any impact on your application?
    If you are applying for an 03 license, yes it does. You cannot run a business with this license, and your purchases must be for your own personal collection.

With a type III, can you sell something you purchase to someone else?
    Yes, you can. You need to read up on logbooks regarding acquisitions and dispositions. As you acquire a firearm, you must log it in as an acquisition, and when you sell/gift a firearm you must log it out and keep tight records.

With a type III, can you facilitate transfers/background checks for private citizens?
    No, you cannot. That falls to an FFL01 licensee.
    With relinquishing the right to privacy for both licenses, it seems worth paying the $170 difference for the type I as you have access to a much broader range of firearms and services, although record keeping may be more stringent.
    Does the FFL01 license require a commercial business address or can it be residential?

Last edited:

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    With relinquishing the right to privacy for both licenses, it seems the type I is the one to go with, with price being the main difference.
    It really depends on what you want to do with it.

Understand that the ATF won't just hand you an FFL license because you paid for it. You will be thoroughly vetted before any license get's approved under your name or business name.

Caveat Emptor, an FFL license is nothing to be sneezed at and both require work to get them set up properly and both can get you in hot water if you don't follow the rules to the "T". I recommend you do more homework on what is required and call the ATF if you have any formal questions. Although I have some experience in this, I am not the "know-all say-all" on this topic since I am just an FFL holder on the internet.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    ANTIQUE........ made before 1898. NO restrictions on interstate sales. No 'license' required.

FFL03 (Collector of firearms 50 years old or older. (some exceptions)

FFL02 (pawn broker)

ATF FROWNS on using a FFL01 for PERSONAL COLLECTION. (will be denied or probably revoked)

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    So... can you buy out of state handguns that are over 50 years old with an FFL03?
    Yes.

As for the original post question about ATF searches. The only time I ever triggered an ATF search when i held an 03 license was when I bought 2 pistols in one transaction. That's a red flag for the ATF and dealers are supposed to report that. Same goes if you don't have a license though. Buying more than one pistol at once can trigger a search.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom