• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    I have never really used shotguns but the couple of times I tried I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces. A few years ago I inherited a couple of shotguns from my father-in-law. One is an L. C. Smith in fair condition but it will be passed down through the family. The other is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 gauge, 2 3/4”. I am considering buying an 18/18.5” barrel and learning to use the gun for home defense.

My questions are do all 870s have removable/interchangeable barrels, is one manufacturer better than another or should I just stick with Remington? I plan to shoot buckshot but might try a slug or two. I was thinking smooth bore but what choke? This will be strictly home defense, close range, so I’m not interested in a rifled barrel.

Also, this gun is designed for 2 3/4” shells, but most barrels I have looked at on line are for up to 3”. I know the 2 3/4” shell will function just fine in a barrel designed for 3”, but will the action cycle a 3” shell and since this gun was designed for 2 3/4” is the gun strong enough to handle a 3” shell? I don’t plan to ever use anything other than 2 3/4” shells, just curious if for some reason I couldn’t find anything other than 3 inchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Venture Surplus ad

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The Rem 870 is a fine gun. Use with confidence.
    You will probably have ejection issues using 3” shells in the shorter action.
    They load and fire in the new barrel but the fired shell will not usually clear the side port of the action. You’re not really gaining much using the 3” shell anyway. Especially for a home defense gun.
    For short range use a cylinder choke is best.
    Remington barrels are good to go. All 870’s have interchangeable barrels.

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    That’s what I thought but wanted to make sure. I haven’t seen any 2 3/4” barrels for sale so are they all interchangeable?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have never really used shotguns but the couple of times I tried I couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn at 10 paces. A few years ago I inherited a couple of shotguns from my father-in-law. One is an L. C. Smith in fair condition but it will be passed down through the family. The other is a Remington 870 Wingmaster, 12 gauge, 2 3/4”. I am considering buying an 18/18.5” barrel and learning to use the gun for home defense.

My questions are do all 870s have removable/interchangeable barrels, is one manufacturer better than another or should I just stick with Remington? I plan to shoot buckshot but might try a slug or two. I was thinking smooth bore but what choke? This will be strictly home defense, close range, so I’m not interested in a rifled barrel.

Also, this gun is designed for 2 3/4” shells, but most barrels I have looked at on line are for up to 3”. I know the 2 3/4” shell will function just fine in a barrel designed for 3”, but will the action cycle a 3” shell and since this gun was designed for 2 3/4” is the gun strong enough to handle a 3” shell? I don’t plan to ever use anything other than 2 3/4” shells, just curious if for some reason I couldn’t find anything other than 3 inchers.

What is the L.C. Smith?
    I have a Monogram, from 1911, in 20ga.

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    The L. C. Smith is a double barrel, 12 gauge. I don’t know enough about them to know if they made anything other than doubles. I am not sure what grade it is. I did some research some time ago but don’t remember much about what I found out. I’m pretty sure my father-in-law was still farming when he bought the gun, possibly in the early 1930s, so he probably bought the cheapest they made. I think he bought it new, but I’m not sure about that. I know when he first showed me the gun he was more proud of the shotgun than anything else he owned. There’s no telling how many squirrels and rabbits were taken with the gun, but that was about all the meat they had back then.

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    L.C. Smith Shotguns are collectible and worth a pretty penny if in good condition. I hope the family member that it gets passed on down to appreciates it.

IMO, I would leave the 870 as is... Keep it 100% original; your father-in-law did, why would you change anything? You run the risk of losing the original barrel if you swap it out which could be a travesty in the future regarding its value. A vintage pre-1980's 870 Wingmaster with a field barrel pushes $800+ today.

If you really want a home defense 870, buy one with an 18" barrel for $350 at the shop. That way the cops will take this one if you ever (unfortunately) have to use it.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

Was it a toy barn moving at trans sonic velocities?

What choke is on your weapon now?

Last edited:

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon, not an aim weapon. If it does not fit your body, regardless of the quality of the shotgun, you won't shoot it as well as one that does. At least for target shooting or hunting.
    The closer and larger the target, the shorter the barrel and a cylinder choke makes the fit much less critical in a home defense use vs trying to hit a small moving target.
    If there is any sentimental value to the shotgun, yup,buy another one. Otherwise get the 18 1/4" barrel, some buckshot, load it and get a good nights sleep.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A shotgun is a point and shoot weapon, not an aim weapon. If it does not fit your body, regardless of the quality of the shotgun, you won't shoot it as well as one that does. At least for target shooting or hunting.
    The closer and larger the target, the shorter the barrel and a cylinder choke makes the fit much less critical in a home defense use vs trying to hit a small moving target.
    If there is any sentimental value to the shotgun, yup,buy another one. Otherwise get the 18 1/4" barrel, some buckshot, load it and get a good nights sleep.

Your spread in Home defense situation with a shot gun is doing to be a few inches at most.

You need to aim. The longer barrel gives velocity and helps the spread (to some extent). You don’t really need these in HD situations, which is why all HD barreled guns are as short as the legal minimum.

If the OP’s shotgun spread is terrible, then the barrel might need to be replaced. If he just can’t shoot well. . . Getting a barrel won’t help.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The older Remington 870 shotguns are wonderful guns. U'd steer clear of the new one myself, and look for an older one priced reasonably, and keep your current 870 for other uses. Might also check out the Mossberg 500 shotguns as well. Or the Maverick 88, which is owned by Mossberg.

Shotguns do need to be aimed, but require much less precision in aiming than a rifle or pistol. IMO, it's hard to beat a shotgun for home defensive purposes. They are pretty versatile weapons. Lots of options of choices in ammo selection to suit your specific needs at home.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    BEDEA3B5-7634-4D6F-8114-9C703FD5F4DB.png

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The older Remington 870 shotguns are wonderful guns. U'd steer clear of the new one myself, and look for an older one priced reasonably, and keep your current 870 for other uses. Might also check out the Mossberg 500 shotguns as well. Or the Maverick 88, which is owned by Mossberg.

Shotguns do need to be aimed, but require much less precision in aiming than a rifle or pistol. IMO, it's hard to beat a shotgun for home defensive purposes. They are pretty versatile weapons. Lots of options of choices in ammo selection to suit your specific needs at home.

Not trying to derail the thread too much, but a semi-auto rifle (like an AR) will do better in basically every way, except cost. Lighter, shorter, more controllable, more ammunition, less prone to malfunction. .223 will penetrate fewer layers of sheetrock than buckshot (or pistols rounds).

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Not trying to derail the thread too much, but a semi-auto rifle (like an AR) will do better in basically every way, except cost. Lighter, shorter, more controllable, more ammunition, less prone to malfunction. .223 will penetrate fewer layers of sheetrock than buckshot (or pistols rounds).

Can you back that up with credible sources to prove that 223 rounds penetrate less than buckshot rounds from a 12 ga.?

From my experience and informal testing, I found the opposite to be true.

And at distances 30 feet or less. Like those a person might expect inside the home.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Good luck finding a pre rona priced 18" 12 gauge in stock these days. If you take that route OP, you might have to wait out all the current BS going on.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Look up Box of truth.

Its been a while. But its a good, fun website.

And why should I look it up. You made the statement. I already did my own informal testing that from my observations and experience showed me the opposite was true.

If you want me to give it consideration, please link the article so we all can read it and draw our own conclusions.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Your spread in Home defense situation with a shot gun is doing to be a few inches at most.

You need to aim. The longer barrel gives velocity and helps the spread (to some extent). You don’t really need these in HD situations, which is why all HD barreled guns are as short as the legal minimum.

If the OP’s shotgun spread is terrible, then the barrel might need to be replaced. If he just can’t shoot well. . . Getting a barrel won’t help.
    To a point, you are kind of right. How do you aim without a rear sight though?
    Ahhhh, that is the point. In more ways than one.
    Your eye, IS the rear sight. If it is not in the same position each time, this is where fit is vital, it's like having a rear free floating sight on a rifle or handgun. Worthless.
    At 10-20 feet, even an ill fitting shotgun can be pointed and be effective. A shorter barrel gives more maneuverability without giving up point capability. Along with slightly more spread, although you are right that it is very little, what would be a near miss from a handgun or pistol becomes at least a partial hit with a shotgun. Absolute precision is not mandatory. Point shooting a shotgun effectively at 10 yards is also way easier than a rifle or pistol when there is not enough light or time to aim sights as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom