• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    Ok, So I am looking at all the "Parts Kits" for sale and checking out the receivers for them. Some look like they would be a blast to build and something unique to own.

I am a little confused, Most of the parts kits say they are complete and only need a new receiver. Here is where the confusion comes in, Is it illegal to build them?

As an example, the M1919A4 is short the right side plate, I can order a Parts kit and get a right side plate. Counter sink the rivets and rivet the new side plate onto the gun, but is that not making an automatic weapon? Do you have to make other mods that I am not aware of to make it work?

Man, life would be easier if the government acutely followed the constitution.
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    All I can say, is that when you buy the reciever, you are buying the "gun." Everything else is just parts. At least, this is how I understand it.

As for making an automatic gun, your in a whole new ballgame, and I am not going to touch it.

Cyberlink

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington
    Texas42, that is part of my confusion. Buying the receiver is buying the "GUN" but to my understanding the Receiver has less to do with the Auto/Simi-Auto configuration than the trigger group.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Full auto parts in a semiauto are a no-no. Most semiauto receivers won’t have a provision for full auto parts (AK missing a pin, AR missing a selector position, etc.) I don’t know a thing about building a 1919, but I’ve built many AKs and ARs. A trigger group for an AK is practically always something you would buy as a semiauto replacement when you build one. Anyone can buy M16 trigger/sear assembly, carrier and selector parts to convert their ARs to full auto, but having any of the parts in your rifle (or even in your possession in most cases) will typically get you a free trip to jail in a hurry.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Anyone can buy M16 trigger/sear assembly, carrier and selector parts to convert their ARs to full auto, but having any of the parts in your rifle (or even in your possession in most cases) will typically get you a free trip to jail in a hurry.

and that SUCKS, I would love to have 3 round burst when I get my SBR

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    a buddy mine went through this recently on teh same gun
    and when he found the receiver it was the same process as buying a new gun
    all the forms and backgrounds check
    his reciever was for semi only so im not sure about the trigger group

i can ask were he found his semi stuff and let you know more details.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    and that SUCKS, I would love to have 3 round burst when I get my SBR
    You could always buy a registered M16 and put your upper on it. It would cost at least $10k, tho... Probably more. I havn't priced them in awhile. I decided a long time ago I didn't want to afford full auto.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    It would cost at least $10k, tho... Probably more. I havn't priced them in awhile.

Got a converted Colt AR reciever (not a drop in sear or link, but the real deal) for $8000 3 weeks ago. It's in state so if it goes like all the HKs have, it should get approved and show up within the next 30 days... I'll post some video when it gets here.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    You could always buy a registered M16 and put your upper on it. It would cost at least $10k, tho... Probably more. I havn't priced them in awhile. I decided a long time ago I didn't want to afford full auto.

I could but then I would be out 10K and im a cheap bastage :-), I could have a sweet gun or be 10K closer to having my land. So really I guess I just wish it was less money

RTBA-Houston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    La Porte
    On the 1919a4 - it's a full auto kit. As long as you don't have a Right Side Plate that will fit the full auto bolt assembly - you're good to go. Just having the kit and a full auto side plate together in your possesion would constitute "readily restorable" and would be considered an illegal machine gun.
    The 1919a4 kits can be purchased and rebuilt into semi-automatic by puchasing incomplete semi right side plates or 100% completed right side plates and machining the bolt group to fit the "denial island" inside the right side plate.
    Onthe 1919A4, the right side plate is the receiver - so to purchase a full auto right side plate, it would have to transfer to a Class 3 FFL.

Top Bottom