Questions about bullet types for autoloading pistols.

d_holliday

Aug 3, 2020
Fort Hood, Tx
I'm going to be honest with you about pistols. In current times, it's really hard to get a semi-auto pistol that isn't reliable. Granted, ANY pistol I buy, for carry or self defense purposes is tested with a minimum number of rounds to make sure it's reliable. I don't just assume just because a particular brand or model has a stellar rating that the one I have will be reliable.My thoughts are, the time to discover problems or issues is at the range, not when you life could depend upon the pistol.

Also regular range trips keeps you a better shooter. Shooting skills will degrade over time if you don't practice on regular basis. Keeps you sharp, and keeps you in tune with your equipment. If you have multiple firearms, that you use or carry, practice with all of them as well. Different types of gun have different operations.
It sounds like gun skills are like musical skills: you have to practice regularly with your firearm or musical instrument (piano, trumpet, harmonica, guitar, banjo, fiddle, drums, etc.) to remain good. It's different from riding a bicycle sans training wheels: once learned this ability is never forgotten for life: permanent muscle memory.

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
It sounds like gun skills are like musical skills: you have to practice regularly with your firearm or musical instrument (piano, trumpet, harmonica, guitar, banjo, fiddle, drums, etc.) to remain good. It's different from riding a bicycle sans training wheels: once learned this ability is never forgotten for life: permanent muscle memory.
Largely true, pistol and precision rifle degrade the fastest, normal rifle and shotgun degrade the slowest in my experience

Axxe55

Professional Troublemaker
Dec 15, 2019
Deep East Texas.
All skills are perishable if not practiced on a regular basis. You may not forget how to do something, but if you have slacked off, you will be rusty!

General Zod

TGT Addict
Sep 29, 2012
Kaufman County
There are some times when I have a pistol that happens to have FMJ ammo rather than JHP, and I can assure you I don't feel handicapped or compromised in the least.
As long as you bear in mind that FMJ is more likely to overpenetrate when used defensively, then all is well. Hollow points dump their energy as they expand, which slows their penetration. FMJ tends to punch right through and keep going out the other side.

lightflyer1

May 2, 2015
From looking at this chart most rounds even hp's penetrate deeper than the body is. Especially if the hp clogs with material on entrance. From looking at the chart there are very few rounds of ammo of any caliber that won't over penetrate. You have to worry about over penetration on every round you fire, not just FMJ.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

Last edited:

seeker_two

TGT Addict
Jul 1, 2008
As long as you bear in mind that FMJ is more likely to overpenetrate when used defensively, then all is well. Hollow points dump their energy as they expand, which slows their penetration. FMJ tends to punch right through and keep going out the other side.
So....bad for home defense....great for mob defense.....gotcha.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
JHP's function with zero problems in all my 1911's.

Edit: and none were "tuned" to run JHP.
Unless you are using a 100% USGI gun, with USGI magazines, your gun has most likely been "tuned" to feed hollowpoints.

Even modern reproductions of ww1 and ww2 1911's are not the same as actual ww1 or ww2 pistols.

That said, sure any random usgi 1911 might feed jhp's, but it is not the norm. Some of the most well known 1911 smiths built an entire industry, and for that matter the modern 1911, around making the 1911 able to feed bullets with wide meplats, like SWC's and HP's

oldag

TGT Addict
Feb 19, 2015
Unless you are using a 100% USGI gun, with USGI magazines, your gun has most likely been "tuned" to feed hollowpoints.

Even modern reproductions of ww1 and ww2 1911's are not the same as actual ww1 or ww2 pistols.

That said, sure any random usgi 1911 might feed jhp's, but it is not the norm. Some of the most well known 1911 smiths built an entire industry, and for that matter the modern 1911, around making the 1911 able to feed bullets with wide meplats, like SWC's and HP's
Are you referring to how the manufacturer made the 1911, or to modifying the 1911 yourself?

zackmars

Well-Known
Nov 4, 2015
Texas
Are you referring to how the manufacturer made the 1911, or to modifying the 1911 yourself?
Both. Virtually everything on a modern 1911 is different from a USGI 1911. Not from a functional standpoint, but a dimensional one. From the magazine feedlips, spring, and follower, feedramp dimensions...

Last edited:

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
And on the feeding angle on SWC and HP. Think how much time S&W took to get their 38 Sp Semi Auto Match pistol to reliably feed 148 Gr HBWC..

Top Bottom