• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seaninftw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    I just got a seemingly great price on a ‘used’ Sig 556 patrol for $850. I got it home, and it still has shipping grease in it, so it’s never been fired. So on the surface, it seems I got pre-pandemic used pricing. It’s manufacture date is 4/2010. I know there were some issues with accuracy with earlier rifles, but this one seems to be the updated version. If anyone had a better idea if I’m going to have some issues? I’be dug through YouTube, and almost all the issues seem to be with the 7.62x39 caliber rifle. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated.
    Venture Surplus ad

Attachments

• D3BDE258-3DA9-4967-AD4C-7162F16BD5FE.jpeg
      D3BDE258-3DA9-4967-AD4C-7162F16BD5FE.jpeg
      37.3 KB · Views: 110

seaninftw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I have a smalll amount of history. Sig manufactured this rifle for the Swiss Army in Europe. If you can find one of those, they are excellent all around. When Sig Sauer USA began bringing them here, they cheapened them up with plastic fore grips and a few other mods. The very first generation of sig sauer USA rifles had some QC and accuracy issues. At some point, really close to when my rifle was made, they corrected a lot of the issues, as well as changing the company name to SigUS. I’m just trying to figure out if anyone Can confirm if I have a newer gen one.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Thanks for the welcome!
    I have a smalll amount of history. Sig manufactured this rifle for the Swiss Army in Europe. If you can find one of those, they are excellent all around. When Sig Sauer USA began bringing them here, they cheapened them up with plastic fore grips and a few other mods. The very first generation of sig sauer USA rifles had some QC and accuracy issues. At some point, really close to when my rifle was made, they corrected a lot of the issues, as well as changing the company name to SigUS. I’m just trying to figure out if anyone Can confirm if I have a newer gen one.

Just wondering, could you contact SigUS and supply them with the serial number and maybe they could give you the information you are looking for?

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I just got a seemingly great price on a ‘used’ Sig 556 patrol for $850. I got it home, and it still has shipping grease in it, so it’s never been fired. So on the surface, it seems I got pre-pandemic used pricing. It’s manufacture date is 4/2010. I know there were some issues with accuracy with earlier rifles, but this one seems to be the updated version. If anyone had a better idea if I’m going to have some issues? I’be dug through YouTube, and almost all the issues seem to be with the 7.62x39 caliber rifle. Any extra info would be greatly appreciated.
    I had a Sig 556 16" with longer gas tube and had no issues with accuracy out to 200 yards Looks like you need an eye patch what with being a pirate and all! nice treasure!

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    That model is a good gun. I'd try to get a solid folding stock to replace that length adjustable folding stock, that stock is somewhat fragile and a known failure point. Other than that, pretty much the finest AK (original swiss guns being nicer) you can buy!

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Looks like one of the later models that came with faux swiss style front handguards and folding stock.

The earlier ones came with an ugly set of handguards with gills and didn't have a folding stock hinge, just a screw on AR buffer tube.

The early bugs should have been squashed by the time of your gun.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I had a Sig 556 16" with longer gas tube and had no issues with accuracy out to 200 yards Looks like you need an eye patch what with being a pirate and all! nice treasure!
    I am bidding on a Sig 556 SWAT (same gun with side folding Swiss style stock) it is at $1025 now

seaninftw

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2021
    That model is a good gun. I'd try to get a solid folding stock to replace that length adjustable folding stock, that stock is somewhat fragile and a known failure point. Other than that, pretty much the finest AK (original swiss guns being nicer) you can buy!
    I agree on the stock. The clamshell piece that clips to the receiver is already inop, Even though I doubt the thing has been folded 10 times in its life. And on another quirk with the stock, it grabs beard/mustache hair when you shoulder it correctly. So that’s gotta go.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Too bad the model got discontinued. Because of that you'll pay out the nose for parts now. The US copy of the solid folding stock sells for about $150 and the Swiss ones are $300+

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    OOPS! Got my head out and I was talking about the wrong rifle.

Last edited:

ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome!

The Swiss SIG 550, 551, and 553 series are the ones made for the Swiss Military in Switzerland. The 556 is not of that lineage. The 556 was uniquely made for the American Commercial Market by SigArms USA and was not very well received commercially for what ever reason. With that being said it sounds like you got a decent deal on a factory SigArms Carbine. Enjoy it.

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    I am bidding on a Sig 556 SWAT (same gun with side folding Swiss style stock) it is at $1025 now

One thing you want to watch out for. Make sure it is a 'gen 2' (i don't know what the change is officially called). Basically the 'fixed' ones have a removeable (held in by two screws) steel insert so the aluminum lower didn't get chewed by metal AK mags.

Top Bottom