• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ST5MF

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    One thing you want to watch out for. Make sure it is a 'gen 2' (i don't know what the change is officially called). Basically the 'fixed' ones have a removeable (held in by two screws) steel insert so the aluminum lower didn't get chewed by metal AK mags.

He purchased a 5.56x45mm model. Pretty moot either way as SigArms USA doesn’t support the 556. The biggest draw back to the 556 is one has to completely depend on the secondary market to sustain the rifle should parts break or just wear out. I have some rifles like that and I rarely shoot them for that reason, it is one of the many reasons the AR15 reigns supreme as a utilitarian auto loader in the USA and will do so for the foreseeable future.

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    Looks like one of the later models that came with faux swiss style front handguards and folding stock.

The earlier ones came with an ugly set of handguards with gills and didn't have a folding stock hinge, just a screw on AR buffer tube.

The early bugs should have been squashed by the time of your gun.

Strangely the first ones with the fishgills and 'two tone' effect (upper finish being different than the lower) are the best ones to get. Pretty much the upper is of Swiss manufacture with Swiss proof marks on the small parts (bolt/carrier/gas piston/block etc etc). As production continued, they used less and less swiss parts and turned to domestic/outsourced parts.

The complaint on the early ones was that the top rail was canted. Never saw that issue in person though and I've bought/traded many of those guns specifically for the Swiss parts content, assume it was overblown due to internet exposure.

Over it

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2015
    He purchased a 5.56x45mm model. Pretty moot either way as SigArms USA doesn’t support the 556. The biggest draw back to the 556 is one has to completely depend on the secondary market to sustain the rifle should parts break or just wear out. I have some rifles like that and I rarely shoot them for that reason, it is one of the many reasons the AR15 reigns supreme as a utilitarian auto loader in the USA and will do so for the foreseeable future.
    My bad, for some reason I thought it was the 7.62x39. Overall though, robust design, you are going to get many rounds out of it. In the past, I've called Sig on many an occasion and bought parts from them, but in truth, parts are drying up.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

Parts don't wear out that fast. I bought some spares (high wear parts) from Sig and put them away.

quantum13

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2021
    Denton, TX
    I think you did nicely price-wise but ST5MF is right, Sig USA doesn't care about this platform or owners of the rifle. This has really depressed secondary value on these. I have an earlier 556, it was part of a set they did in 2009 that came with a 556 and a 522 with matching serial numbers (522-xxx and 556-xxx). I have had no issues with mine functionally but the rail fit on the 556 is rough and one of them (can't remember for sure but I think it was the 522) had to go back due to a front sight block so off center that I couldn't zero the rifle.

I think it was mentioned above but for the 5.56 models (as opposed to the Russians), the generation matters less; and AFAIK some preferred the earlier models on account of a higher swiss parts count. Either way the platform is abandoned and you'll be scrounging for parts. With mine being from 2009 I suspect it's a Gen 1. I also read that earlier 556s (perhaps prior to 2012) had CHF barrels but that may just be more forum nonsense.

It's a nice rifle to shoot but QC left something to be desired.

Take care of that stock too - the rubber on the rear is irreplaceable and can go tacky/sticky so keep it in a climate controlled space. Or put a different stock on it - you might still be able to find adapters some made for different stock types; I was able to convert both of mine to ACR stocks before the aftermarket completely dried up on these.

Do you know production date on that one? First 3 of serial may also be helpful; some of the forums seem to suggest you can identify based on that.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom