• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YankeeTexan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2016
    Harrisburg, PA
    Hello! As I said on my introduction post, I'm currently a resident of Pennsylvania who's moving to the Lone Star state this summer. I have one question regarding a law that I can't find ANYWHERE online, so maybe someone here can help me find the answer.

I'll be turning 18 in April and my father said he'd be willing to get me a Glock 23 for my birthday. Here in PA owning a handgun gifted from a parent while over the age of 18 is perfectly legal and requires no transfer of paperwork or anything of the like. If I move to Texas without my parents, will it still be legal for me to own the handgun at age 18? I'm not concerned about carrying it at all. This is purely concerning ownership. Even here, concealed carry isn't legal until 21 (although you can open carry handguns or rifles without at permit at age 18 but that's besides the point). Please let me know if you have any input because I don't want to start my adult life as a criminal. Thank you!

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    As you will be moving to Texas after the gun was given to you for your birthday, you will be the legal owner when you arrive and it is indeed legal for an 18 year old to own a handgun in Texas as long as you are not a prohibited person.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas does not regulate the ownership of firearms, and I doubt PA does either. They regulate possession, transfer, carry etc.

A licensed gun dealer may not transfer a handgun to a person under 21 (federal law) In Texas there is an additional restriction that a person cannot transfer, give, etc, a firearm to a person under 18.

At 18, you can purchase from anyone other than a licensed dealer. You can have it in your home or your car.

Google http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.46.htm

Top Bottom