• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I currently have a Dell XPS 15 9530. Got it when my stepdad died. He worked in IT and I know it was a pretty good machine when he bought it but it is way past it's service life now. Starting to have issues. I am not all that knowledgeable about them but can manage to operate one reasonably well. Use mostly for the web, streaming, email, school, and such........just normal stuff. Probably no gaming. Can you ,that are knowledgeable, give some recommendations for something nice to replace it with? I haven't even started looking yet, don't know what's out there. Price range around $500-$700? What will that get nowdays? Is that a reasonable figure to pay for a good lap top? Thanks.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    It has some physical issues as well......battery, keyboard, noisy fan. I'm not putting any money into having it worked on. It's been great and a sentimental reminder o my stepdad, but it's time for a new one. Thanks for the above suggestions. I've got some research to do.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    It has some physical issues as well......battery, keyboard, noisy fan. I'm not putting any money into having it worked on. It's been great and a sentimental reminder o my stepdad, but it's time for a new one. Thanks for the above suggestions. I've got some research to do.
    I hear you.

I suggest listing what software you need to run to determine specs. Games are very resource intensive, so that will be your guide.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I hear you.

I suggest listing what software you need to run to determine specs. Games are very resource intensive, so that will be your guide.
    No games. Just a decent computer for home use......maybe some future gaming but I haven't got into it yet........so

CharlieWH2O

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2015
    Galveston County
    For that amount of money stick with Dell in an All-in-One. I have no affiliation with Dell and use an Apple Macbook Pro.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Look for open-box items at Best Buy or even some places online. You can get a much better laptop or pc for less money and still have full warranty.

Get as much of an upgrade as possible now to have a longer lifespan. If a laptop, be sure you can upgrade the system memory over time. Some have memory soldered into the motherboard (cheaper laptops) preventing upgrades. If you may be considering gaming down the road, you’ll want a dedicated graphics card (GPU). I would recommend at least 8GB dedicated memory for the GPU as a minimum. It is something that can be replaced on a PC (graphics card) but not on a laptop. More software these days use the GPU so it is becoming an important specification to look at. The embedded system GPU is typically crap so look for a Nvidia GPU.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    That model was just released in 2023. Maybe just reinstall the OS and see if that helps the issues you might be having.
    It's a damn nice machine.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The 9530 is brand new? I work at Dell. Is this like a 13 year old 9530?

Also, if you really want to save money go to the Dell outlet sometimes you can get a screaming deal on something that just has a blemish.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    The 9530 is brand new? I work at Dell. Is this like a 13 year old 9530?

Also, if you really want to save money go to the Dell outlet sometimes you can get a screaming deal on something that just has a blemish.

yes.......well..........in device specifications tells me it is an xps 9530 with an Intel 2.3 processor, 64 bit operating system x 64 based processor. I got it from my stepdad when he passed away in 2017......I think he had it maybe 4 or 5 years. So it's between 11-12 yo

Last edited:

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Dell's XPS line is decent, though they are a bit more consumer grade. Personally, I'd recommend Dell's Precision line, which are more commercial grade workstations. Buy used, a few years old, and you can find TONS on eBay for great prices. If buying from there, just be careful about the seller and try to find one with a tons of sales and reviews that is definitely US-based.

For example, in your price range you could probably get a Dell Precision 7550, or maybe the 7560. Great specs, can take tons of ram, tons of storage, good video card options, etc.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Thanks for all the replies. Been offline for awhile as my old computer did crash. It was caught in the blue screen of death loop and then I finally could not even get it to reboot.

I did end up getting the Dell XPS 15 to replace the old one.....I lost my touch screen but that's ok. This new machine is quite a bit nicer and faster.

As far as the old one goes....I was able to get all of my personal files transferred to the new one and then had to reset the old one. Basically wiped all the data from it and re-installed the operating system, as it seems that was corrupted somehow. So it needs to be set up again but at this time it looks to be functional. I will keep it as a back-up....maybe use it to take with me if I go on trips and need something to access the internet.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for all the replies. Been offline for awhile as my old computer did crash. It was caught in the blue screen of death loop and then I finally could not even get it to reboot.

I did end up getting the Dell XPS 15 to replace the old one.....I lost my touch screen but that's ok. This new machine is quite a bit nicer and faster.

As far as the old one goes....I was able to get all of my personal files transferred to the new one and then had to reset the old one. Basically wiped all the data from it and re-installed the operating system, as it seems that was corrupted somehow. So it needs to be set up again but at this time it looks to be functional. I will keep it as a back-up....maybe use it to take with me if I go on trips and need something to access the internet.
    Excellent opportunity to test drive Linux

Top Bottom