• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2024
    Texarkana
    I despise my cable and Internet provider. I'm currently paying a bit more than $200/month for Internet and cable. We got a Tivo when we first got their service. It's old and giving us trouble. I see I can get a new one for about $190 from Amazon. It's basically a newer version of the one we have.
    I’d like to drop the cable component keeping only Internet and use a streaming service. (Roku, Firestick, something like that) The thing is we like to record and watch several shows from network television. (Foxx, America’s Got Talent, A bunch of stuff on PBS.)
    Here are my questions. If I drop cable and only stream will I have access to Network programming? More importantly, will I be able to record network programming?

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    More importantly, will I be able to record network programming?
    ah, the good old days...

ant.jpg

beta.jpg

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    Youtube TV subscription allows recording of all your usual network shows.
    $79 a month subscription.
    Correct. Youtube TV has the best DVR of the streamers and does local channels at no extra cost, at least in my area. They have a free trial, see if you like them. I dropped cable, kept internet and streamed with Roku box. Also have one Amazon firestick. My spectrum cable DVR never worked right. For whole house you need good wifi such as a mesh system (TP-Link works great).

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    $79x12= $948/year...to record network tv.

Progress, I guess?
    You get most of what cable gave you plus you can DVR everything (including local TV). Spectrum dropped, two DVR boxes dropped, Spectrum wifi box dropped. Turned out to be much cheaper than Spectrum, and it worked better. Spectrum provides the internet and youtube tv provides the rest. My understanding is that recording network TV over the air has some kind of copy protection scheme but I haven't researched this.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    You get most of what cable gave you plus you can DVR everything (including local TV). Spectrum dropped, two DVR boxes dropped, Spectrum wifi box dropped. Turned out to be much cheaper than Spectrum, and it worked better. Spectrum provides the internet and youtube tv provides the rest. My understanding is that recording network TV over the air has some kind of copy protection scheme but I haven't researched this.
    I've never had cable and don't watch tv- never cared for it. Do love the youtube instructional videos, though. uMatrix gives me no ads/commercials and Tachus fiber is the bomb- 300+ up and down.

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I've never had cable and don't watch tv- never cared for it. Do love the youtube instructional videos, though. uMatrix gives me no ads/commercials and Tachus fiber is the bomb- 300+ up and down.
    Just for curiosity, what do you need 300+ up and down if you don't watch TV? Surfing the internet? That's a lot of speed, better than I have. I get 300+ down and 10 up on Spectrum, okay for streaming but not big time posting. Vexus just came to my area, low ball prices to start with big future jumps.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    We have AT&T Uverse internet and TV. Last fall when the Longhorns had a big game coming and Uverse was having issues, I ordered FUBO streaming as a back up and we both watched the game on separate PCs in different rooms. We don't have to watch the same channel and can use our cells if desired. Any internet service will work, It began as an alternative sports thing years ago but now has it all. I have been very impressed with their service and yes, you can record and playback.

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Fire stick and Roku with Amazon Prime. That’s it. We cut the cord and don’t miss it. Heck, it’s been a month or two since I even used the fire stick or Roku. TGT keeps me plenty entertained.
    How does that work ? We have Prime. Thanks

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I had Spectrum for years with cable, internet, and phone. Dropped the phone since we have cell phones, that saved about $25/month, then switched internet to AT&T (same price but 1gig), then was still paying like $140 for just cable TV, but was also paying around $20/month for Tivo to record shows. Switched to Hulu ++ which includes unlimited DVR functionality, and pay $80/month instead of $160. Much happier with the service and the lower monthly payment.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Buy the Roku or the fire stick for ~$50 or so, depending on the options you want. You get a lot of free programming with each one. If you are a prime member, then enter your acct info on the prime app and you get additional TV shows and movies

Eta: I have both on different TVs. Personally I like the Fire Stick better. Roku remote for some reason burns through batteries at an alarming rate. It’s a known issue on the inter web

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    Buy the Roku or the fire stick for ~$50 or so, depending on the options you want. You get a lot of free programming with each one. If you are a prime member, then enter your acct info on the prime app and you get additional TV shows and movies

Eta: I have both on different TVs. Personally I like the Fire Stick better. Roku remote for some reason burns through batteries at an alarming rate. It’s a known issue on the inter web
    Sooo, does that set it up on the TV ?

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Just for curiosity, what do you need 300+ up and down if you don't watch TV? Surfing the internet? That's a lot of speed, better than I have. I get 300+ down and 10 up on Spectrum, okay for streaming but not big time posting. Vexus just came to my area, low ball prices to start with big future jumps.
    That's their slowest plan and cheapest @ $65/mo. Use it to trade/work from home, also have web server/database customers. Great company, that Tachus - four 9's

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    I'm slowly getting away from Dish, can't completely because the wife doesn't like change, she knows how to use Dish. I on the other hand use what I can. Just subscribed to Peacock just because that's one way of watching the Tour de France and it's relatively inexpensive. I have Roku in the bedroom that made my dumb TV into a smart TV. I have a smart Google TV in the living room. We switched over from ADSL to fiber recently 300 mbs can watch all we want. Plus I have OTA antenna for when cable and Internet goes out, which did happen after the storm. Plus my OTA runs through the Dish and I can record now. My wife would be lost without her in home tech support, me.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Don't do cable. Old fashioned antennae for over the air (almost never used). Prime for shows.

Top Bottom